Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:32 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Other permanent magnet motors

grub

Posted: 09:14pm 11 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It must be said that I repair washing machines and thus I get a supply of various permanent magnet motors. What I would like to know is there much of a demand for these motors, or do I continue to take them to the scrap metal dealers. The F&P Gentle Annie (pre Smart Drive) has a very notchy feel motor, as does all the latest pump motors. I also get a supply of brushed motors out of front load washing machines (stuffed timer = not worth repairing), can these be used as generators too?

Steve9R

Posted: 12:08am 12 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

you can definately use them all.. where abouts are you ?

Steve

GWatPE

Posted: 01:43am 12 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The brush motors on the water pumps of the front loaders are probably universal motors[wound rotor and wound stator]. These can run on AC, or DC as a motor. The motors with permanent type magnets would be useful as a generator. The universal type motors could be, if current could be applied separately to the stator, like a car alternator. Gordon.Edited by GWatPE 2008-04-13
become more energy aware

Gill

Posted: 01:46am 12 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grub,
Offer them on eBay? They are a complete unit and more compact than a Smartdrive so easier to box up and send. I'm thinking they'd be a cheap motor/gen for the Poms and Europeans who don't have access to many PM motors for use as generators. A great sales opportunity if you could include plans for a workable wind gen?
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

grub

Posted: 10:49pm 12 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The brushed motors are the main motors on the front loaders, the pump motors are small fanless permanent magnet motors.
When the pump motors are wearing out, they become unreliable as a pump as sometimes they work and other times they don't. They have plastic bearings that wear out and this makes them go crooked and stick, amongst other things. However if someone wanted to make new bearings for them, they may work again as a generator.
I am in Tamworth NSW and if anyone wants the pump motors you can have them.
The Gentle annie motor has a plug with lots of wires from the motor running to it (one for each circuit?) but these machines are now too old to repair (F&P no longer supply seals or bearings) but they also have a multi vee pulley. If you want them (not sure how many I have) you can have them.
Most of the brushed motors are from Whirlpool front loaders, usually from machines that have stuffed timers. It is then cheaper to replace the machine then to replace the timer as experience has shown that once a timer is gone then other parts are nearly gone also and repair cost to extented running time (before next repair) is not worth it.
After a while a large collection of motors that will not be used start to get in the way and thus have to cleared out (the other half wants them gone) so again if you want them, take them, else they will be scrap metal.

Gill

Posted: 12:33am 13 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grub,
A most generous offer.
Unfortunately I'm up to my eyeballs already with projects so I can't take you up on it but I hope others will.
Thanks.

was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:48am 13 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Crew,, The original "Gentle-Annie" was a f&P motor with around 12 wires coming out .. I re-configured these best I could ,but the results were dismal,,they needed a gale to start them ,had Aluminium windings ..

very coggy,,I removed the rotor from one and removed the magnets ,,nice curved ceramic's. these rotors have a springy steel fine wire wound around the complete rotor,over the magnets....

I've still 2 of them .
yesterday , I scored a 1 HP dc (180V ) Leeson motor and electric brake -looks in perfect condition--now there's a possibility ---

Bruce

Bushboy

GWatPE

Posted: 12:34pm 13 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce,

The motor might be useful with a gearbox. This will be a brush motor with a wound rotor with commutator. This would be very useful as the motor powering your test setup. I would make up a 5 to 1 reduction drive with a cog belt etc. The power supply would be a 500W, 110V isolation transformer with rectified output. A decent filter cap to smooth the DC. A simple PWM mosfet chopper with a LC filter and freewheeling diode on the motor. I used a similar cct for the drive on a solar car. This would provide an infinitely variable speed control to the motor. The input power is easily measured. The efficiency of this motor would be superior to a squirrel cage induction motor. The power in v output could be more easily compared for many different setups. You may wish to discuss this further.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 08:04pm 13 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gordon,,,

I just knew you would love me to bring this home from the tip-shop .. We'll talk about a Cct and a tranny soon. Gee,all that nice work I done ,,and now I'm thinking of pulling it apart before it's turned 1 rpm?.
Oh well,,thats life.

Thanks ,

Bruce
Bushboy

herbnz

Posted: 08:22pm 14 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce
The Dc motor will work but being permanent magnet I would earmark it for generator projects. A AC universal motor , old skill saw drill etc would work just as well in fact price new no need for old. Can run them on a reduced DC voltage that can be varied by electronic,resistive, or best variable voltage transformr .
Dc eliminates pf in current measurement but still loads inaccuracies use torgue to measure input
Herb

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024