Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:17 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Email notifications disabled for now.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:19pm 29 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya

I've been investigating some problems with the forums email notification system ( where it sends you an email if someone posts anything new ), so I've temporarily disabled the service.

One problem I've discovered is there are over 2500 members who have, over the last 10 plus years, asked to be notified by email of new posts. Many of these members are not active, and haven't visited the site for years. But every time someone makes a post, the forum sends out email notifications to all those members.

This is causing a problem because companies like Google now block emails sent from this site, since its acting like a spammer.

So I'm going to make a few changes, like stop old non active members from receiving emails, and then tidy up whats left to save save bandwidth, while letting current members still receive email notifications.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Madness

Guru

Posted: 10:12pm 29 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was wondering why the emails were not coming through.

Other sites certainly stop sending you anything if you have not been there for a while but as soon as you visit the site they startup again.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:27am 01 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah I think might do the same. The forum records the date you last visited, so I might write some code to exclude emails to members who haven't visited in the last month, or something like that.

I still need to work out why it stopped sending emails in the first place.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:25am 16 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK the email notifications are working again. Its now using my business email server, so the emails you receive will be from Do_not_reply@jaqsoftware.com.

The forum only sends email notifications to members who have been active in the last month. This is to save bandwidth and reduce the likelihood of my email server getting itself on a blacklist.

Glenn
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024