Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:31 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Price Watch page

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:42am 27 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm putting together a "Product Price Watch" page for the site. This has been suggested by a forum member and I think its a good idea, I just need to work out the best way to implement it.

Basicly, if someone finds a good deal, or is offering it themselves, on any renewable energy based product, I'll put it online. This could be solar panels, inverters, windmills, batteries, electrical components, etc. Each product will stay online for a month, and similar items will be displayed in order of price. So if someone is offering a solar panels for X dollars, and someone else comes along and offers the same product for less, they will be at the top of the list.

I dont know if this should be called a Price Watch, Product Watch, or On Special page. Open to suggestions on how to make it work.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 09:29am 27 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I like the idea.
I dont think it will matter what name it is given.

I buy bits and pieces out of China like Uv led clusters, pcb drills and cnc cutters, stepper motor driver boards with 4 axis, 100 lot of blue leds etc. at what i think a good price.
For instance "sureelectronics" on ebay (worth a look) has a lot of cheap things like a 4 digit led display amp meter in a large amp range, for it think was $12.00 last one i bought and it looked great and worked well.
A lot of things i get through different eBay stores that are always there, or on line suppliers.

Would it be exceptable to post links to these sort of suppliers being just outside the RE but still in the backshed?
One benifit is on line dealers are often available to any where in the world.

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:26pm 28 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Would it be acceptable to post links to these sort of suppliers being just outside the RE but still in the backshed?
One benifit is on line dealers are often available to any where in the world.

Yes I think so. They would automatically be removed after one month so they wont clutter up the page.

Each item will display a description, web address, region and other contact details. Only forum members will be able to add items to the list too, to stop a lot of rubbish spam.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Robb

Posted: 03:33am 02 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It may be worth wile limiting the availability of this section to members registered for a given time and with a given number of post or you know whats going to happen.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:20am 02 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That a good idea too.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 12:52pm 04 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is one to kick this off, while the finer details are put in place.

The (Latest) December issue of Silicon Chip has a add from Rockby Electronics in it for " Dummy Load Wire Wound Power Resistors " --- " 50w - 4 & 8 ohm --- $ 8.90 " ----- " 100w, 4 & 8 ohm --- $14.80 "
There is only limited quantity's available. ( you would want to be quick )

Heres the links to the specials

Link to 4 ohm x 50w resistor

Link to 4 ohms x 100w.

Link to 8 ohm x 50w.

Link to 8 ohm x 100w

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:09am 16 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Over the Christmass break I'll put the price watch page together. Will post a message when its ready to go.

Glenn
JAQ

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 07:31am 19 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think it's a great idea, but how are you going to prevent:

Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 09:49am 19 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the idea was only members can post to it.
I doubt if a member would last long if spam got posted.
Sometimes it just works

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 01:04am 20 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I must have been thinking about another page here somewhere here on the 4m when I tossed up the can of spam.

I had just read some entry where Glen had said, "Thin ice" (and then the guy's name). What the fellow had done is put a link to a site that sells stuff.
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:31am 20 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If i remember correctly it had more to do with what the guy was selling that ruffled Glenn.
Not that he had posted something he sells.
You can bet that some fool will try to list garbage, but think Glenn will have his finger on the vaporize button and smoke em fast.
I did notice that guy didnt try again.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:21am 02 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK I've started on the Price Watch page.

I've decided to use the forum as the place for members to add items to the Price Watch list. The forum is very good at displaying links and images, has good security, and it also means only forum members can add anything to the Price Watch list. I've configured the Price Watch section to not allow replies to a posted item, as it's not a discussion. The member who posted the item can edit and delete the item if they wish. And the items will disappear after one month.

I've added the resistors Pete posted above to get the ball rolling.

Once there are a few items in the list, I add a Price Watch page to the main web site, and it will get its information from the forum. So any items posted in the forum will be displayed on the main site.

See how it goes. If you have any leads on anything from ball bearings to PicAxe's, at a good price, feel free to add them to the list.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:56am 07 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've put the Price Watch page online. Its not in the main menu yet, but you can see it here

Anything posted in the Pricewatch section of this forum will be displayed on the Price Watch page.

Let me know if it looks OK and I'll add a link to the menu.

Glenn
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024