Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:02 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Online Chat?

Page 1 of 2    
Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:13am 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm just wondering if there would be any interest in a online chat system added to the forum. There are usually a handfull of members online at one time and a chat system would mean they could have a friendly talk between themselves.

I know a few of our members use a IRC chat, but this one would be for forum members only and not require any special software.

Just an idea at this time, open for comments. Its something that could be trialed to see how it goes.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

rippa01

Posted: 09:50am 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

it sounds like a good idea

i wouldnt have much to add, as i have litle experience, but i would certianly have a good listen

chris
tell me, I hear
show me, I see
involve me, I understand

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 10:46am 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sounds good, particularly for Gordon, I always post while he's up hoping and praying he can add something.

Luck favours the well prepared

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:11pm 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the idea would be a good addition and be handy to enquire about progress on each others projects in between post updates.

from me

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

windman1000

Posted: 03:59pm 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sounds good
Edited by windman1000 2010-04-02

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 05:24pm 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'd be interested in that ,Glenn. I'm on the irc lots of times and ,really,it's handy, not only for wind gennies,but all sorts of around the house things.

I'll be very interested,,

Bruce
Bushboy

niall1

Posted: 09:36pm 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

interested here too.......i was on windmans earlier and it seemed a nice user friendly format

cant seem to log on though at the moment ...

niall Edited by niall1 2010-04-02
niall

GWatPE

Posted: 10:54pm 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The online chat could be good. Problem is I have to scroll down many pages to see who is online. Perhaps, if the "users online" info was up the top, then I might see it. There probably would need to be a popup window to inform a reader someone was trying to contact them. We had a similar system on windows for workgroups, I think novelle networking had something similar.

I believe facebook has something as well.

Sound OK to me, but .......

Gordon.

PS: sometimes I forget to log OFF, so the lights are ON, but no one is home.

become more energy aware

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:43pm 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The plan is the chat software will interact with the forum software. You would be able to see who's in the chat from the forum, and have a chat window and forum window open at the same time, so you can browse the forum while using the chat. Only members will be able to use the chat. It will automatically log you in and out.

I will have something working by tomorrow to try it out.

I do like Windmans chat but I did want something that would work with the forum siftware, and not require a download.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:38am 01 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glemn

Sounds good to me the only thing is bandwidth as I am on wet string satellite, will it take up extra as I can only access skype and other voip on a good day and it is like a string and cans phone.
I find I can listen but not respond in a short time frame.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 02:28am 01 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm in!

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

oztules

Guru

Posted: 09:32am 01 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Windman, a windows download won't cut it with me or other linux users..... not everyone is mesmerised with windows....

...........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

windman1000

Posted: 12:28pm 01 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

it was just a helping suggestion

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:31pm 01 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been testing a few different chat servers, all offer the same basic service, but I want something I can fully understand and customise to interact with the forum software, so I've decided to write my own.

Most of the web based chat servers use AJAX, a system that's understood by most modern browsers and OS's. You can see AJAX in operation when you use Google, as you type your search words in and it displays some other similar searches. As you type a bit of java is sending your text back to the google servers, and its sending text back in the form of search suggestions. Its a very low bandwidth and high speed.

I do need to get some hands on experience with AJAX, so decided to use this chat function as a learning experience. I've been teaching myself javascript over the last few weeks, I dont like it, you would think in this day and age a scripting language wouldn't need to be case sensitive, but I need to learn it, and AJAX works very well with java.

Will have something working by tomorrow. I do have a lot of other stuff on the go, but sometimes you need to take a break and dive into something new.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:31am 02 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK I think I have something working enough to test on the forum. See the Chat link at the top of the page, just under the navigation buttons? It will tell you if anyone is in the chat room, and you can join by clicking "Chat"

Its lonely in here, no one to talk to.

Glenn
JAQ

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 05:50am 02 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo,
I have been thinking about how to answer this post to express my concern.
The future of your site if a chat room is implemented, will become a different place. There will still be wind but no windmills, The new members will be younger and gifted in the art of fowl language and Pig Latin.
The basic Idea is great. If I could type a bit faster it would be a pleasure to chat with some of Your Countrymen, It will work for a while though and increase your active list. I see a Big increase in your personal work load to police the room. If you could make a few private rooms available by Reservation, ie; Glen, I have reserved room # ? at 7pm. to discuss the Mellaluca Oil. Room # ? being the room available at the time of posting. A time limit on the room to keep people from living there. If the person making the reservation includes the user names of others, they would be admitted to the room.
Anything That transpires in this private room should be directed to a data dump. Colorful Language would not be displayed openly. I have no idea how much programming this would require. maybe the rooms could be treated as a non accessible folder That (User A,B,C,D.)only have permission to read and write to it.when time expires,an error calls up reservation data and assigns new permissions if any. If this sounds Idiotic, keep in mind the status of the person writing it. Best Regards. --Roe EDIT; I posted Then Discovered "Chat Topic" Edited by Greenbelt 2010-04-03
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 06:53am 02 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK I tried the new chat room and it worked perfect but there is a page you get linked to to say YES the chatroom does have bugs. The moment I logged in Gizmo came in so guys try it out.

Cheers BryanEdited by Bryan1 2010-04-03

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:16am 02 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bryan, I did catch your message about the property too.

Will sort out a few bugs. The chat looses track of who's online, and a member had problems with it not updating properly, which I suspect is a IE6/7 problem, but need some more testers before I can look further into that one.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:40am 02 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Windman, I can confirm there is a problem with IE7. I fired up an old PC with IE7 and I get the same problem you had. Now that I can replicate the condition I can sort it out.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:30am 02 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, think I've got the IE7 bug fixed. It was to do with IE7 using a cached copy of the chat history and not using the lastest history. I've changed the history page to not allow itself to be cached, and I think thats fixed it.

Let me know how it goes.

Still need to sort out the online users list loosing track. Once I get these little bugs sorted I can start on making it pretty, a few bells and whistles, but still keep it fast and lean.

Roe, good points. Will see how it goes, and make changes as we need.

Glenn
JAQ

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024