Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:58 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Website ethics

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:46pm 12 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A couple of things have happened recently on the forum that I'm not happy about. I'll explain what they are and my position on them.

First up, all the projects I have put online are "open source", that is, there is nothing hidden. This means you, the reader, can see exactly how it works and learn from it. This is especially true of the picaxe projects and their software. I don't sell you the chips, instead I supply the software free so you can understand it and program your own. Same with the VB6 applications, while I do include the EXE file, as most of you wont have VB6, I always include a copy of the source code, so you can see whats going on, make changes if you like and create your own exe files.
If you have developed a different version of any of my projects, based on my project's source code, and you want to share/sell it, you must include the new source code. Simple. If you develop you own software, then thats a different matter, but any software based on my projects is to be kept open source.

If you do develop you own software for a project on this site, then its ok to keep the source code secret, so long as you can provide the working EXE file, or pre-programed chip, for the life of the project. There is nothing more annoying than looking at a old project, only to find the EXE file is no longer available or the chip no longer supplied.

The whole idea behind this site is to share what we have learned so others can learn from us. I don't like it when I hear "I've built a better so and so project, but I'm not going to tell you how I did it."

Secondly, the Private Messenger has been used to abuse people. Not happy with this at all. Next time it happens I will post the details in full, got it!

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:44am 13 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn,

Would it be worth while to offer a source code storage with the backshed, that if a project is listed but under non disclosure of source codes and it is later no longer supported by the developer then the codes can be made public (as a part of the conditions of the back shed)

I for one have no problems with disclosure of source codes and only intend to offer a kit form as many here cannot produce a circuit board or have trouble sourcing some parts i use.

It was the open source nature of this forum that drew me here in the first place and i to find that when i develop something only to find others quote they have developed a better one but dont tell anyone.
Well put up or shut up i think.
I would much prefere you put it up for all the rest of us to see and use.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:23am 13 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree Pete.

I dont have any problem with members developing a project or kit of their own, selling the kit and promoting it on the back shed. Thats fine, the source code belongs to them so they can keep that to themselves, so long as the executable files needed to use the kit are always available.

Its when someone takes an open source project, like any of mine, makes changes and then only offers it in its compiled form, so others cant see how it works, that I get upset. It kind of defeats the whole idea of open source.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024