Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:47 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Changes to the forum

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:07pm 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All.

I've been cleaning up the forum a bit. Removed the two diary sections ( Trev's and mine ) and moved their posts into the other area's. Nothing has been deleted, just moved around a bit.

I've had a request for a Newbies section, and I'm thinking about adding a EV section. What do we all think?

Also, what about something similar to "The Pub" at Fieldlins, a place to discuss anything other than RE.

One thing to avoid is sections that overlap, eg, "do I post my question in Newbies or Windmills". Thats why sometimes its better to keep the number of different sections to a minimum.

Feedback welcome.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:44pm 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn , Yes, the "pub" section would be nice .. We could ask questions about other hobbies,like radio ,Etc. model aircraft, sailing boats,, the list goes on . I think the odd nice funny joke is ok , but not too many.

The chat forum seems to be a flop (sorry), I and a few others are on the irc most mornings for an hour . Maybe a link to the irc ,make it easy,

Thanks
Bruce
Bushboy

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 03:42am 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen

I think the "newbies" section should be a tutorial only; a place to get some basic grounding on several topics. Specific, topic-related questions, which arise in the "newbies" sections could then be fielded in the existing forum categories. As far as a basic forum format, I think the way it's set up now works fine; I like it at least.

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 07:54am 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

I think the EV section would be a good Idea, Not sure about the Newbies section though as they generally read through the points they have interest in first, I know I did for three months until I felt that the guys on the forum where serious, not like some others that seem to have all sorts of idiots in chat room without any solid information.

The pub would be handy if a link from each posting was there to go direct to the pub when we want to waffle off topic, LIKE SEE YOU IN THE PUB link. Could be using the Chat section as it isn't used much due to not knowing a time to open it.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:47pm 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The only problem with the pub is i might get drunk and get booked by the topic police

You could call it Kicking The Cat, but that might upset the moggie lovers.

The name "Shed Talk" could be fitting.

I like the idea that Bob said that would allow a topic to be linked off to the Pub or whatever it is called.

I have mixed feelings about a newbies section, and in some ways see a benifit and in other ways see it as putting them in their own box.
In many ways it is better they enter main stream, as we always welcome them and help where we can to make them fit in as easy as possiable.

As for EV is there a big enough pool of information to make it work, as there is really only OZ with his Wombat and Trev.
Always happy to read about the subject though and if it added more postings than it would be worth while.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

niall1

Posted: 10:42pm 02 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i,m a little bit mixed about this as well....and its not really my place to comment here....but thinking about it seems just as interesting reading a post about a possible 4M bruser (or plus)..... and then someones first 1M vawt / hawt motor machine......as long as everyones happy

Edited by niall1 2010-07-04
niall

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:27am 03 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, so I'm thinking we add a EV section and a Pub.

Granted the EV section wont have a lot of posts, but this will most likely change in the future, and I think having a EV section might encourage new visitors.

The Pub, what to call it? I dont want to call it Pub, thats used on another forum. Maybe "Back Shed Chat", "Shed Talk, "Watering Hole", "Back Yard BBQ"? I dunno. Open to idea's. What do you call a bunch of people sitting around talking rubbish?

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:51am 03 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote]What do you call a bunch of people sitting around talking rubbish? [/quote]

Errrr.......Wives.

Men dont talk rubbish of course.

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 02:50am 04 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We call that "yakin' an' kackelin' here! Just like a bunch of hens.

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

wind friend

Posted: 10:39am 04 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Q What do you call a bunch of people sitting around talking rubbish?

A Parliament

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:40am 07 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeh Bruce, I love a good joke. Tell us one.
I agree Glenn, don't call it a pub. And its not the dunny (dunno). 'Back Shed Chat' or 'Shed Talk' sounds alright. I have heard that "yakin' an' kackelin' here is Aussie land too, MacGyver.
Parliament is spot on, you can't trust what they say, but Glenn you can't call it parliament, you will be in trouble!

I like the idea of a EV section. I just have to find what you did with all my other posts. I have some more to add. I opened Trev's Diary from my favourites file and this is what I got. I will have to change the favourites file.

A newbie section.... how would it work?? I think Pete has the answer, integrate them. Sometimes I think I am a newbie. I just wish I had more time to get on here more. Isn't the 'My 2 Cents'... 'Rants and Raves' section for anything other.

I'm off to find that EV section.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:56am 07 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Trev

I'm pretty sure I put most of you EV posts into the new EV section. Everything else from out diaries went into the wind/solar/etc sections. If you find a post that should have gone into the EV section let me know and I'll move it for you.

Glenn
JAQ

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:13pm 07 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I did find the EV posts. I didn't check if they were all there or not, another time. I just had to find the speedo reading when I fitted the motor and I have now made a new post 'EV 6'.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 01:58am 12 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gismo
Instead of Pub How about "The Out Back"''

URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 08:06am 12 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn
Other ideas is "Aussie Pub talk", "Aussie Pub". "Outback Aussie Pub" or "Aussie Outback"or "Aussie Outback Pub Talk"or "Aussie Pub" Anything that will fit in Aussie country

Dwyer

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:02am 14 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What about just "Out Back" ?

Out back is usually where the back shed is anyway.

Instead of creating a new section I'll just rename the "My 2 Cents" section to the new name. It will still be a rant and rave section, but also jokes, what I hate on TV, etc, anything other than the other forum stuff.

GlennEdited by Gizmo 2010-07-15
JAQ

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 10:42am 14 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen
Why not call "Backshed At OutBack" or "JunkShed"

Dwyer

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 11:35am 14 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I dont think it will matter what you call it, others will always have a different idea.

Just pick something.

my surgestions would be ....The pool room.......At the bar.......bullsh*t corner.....Just waffle........Shop talk.......Open shed......

I really dont care what its called as its only a name change and the format stays the same.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:59pm 14 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

I think Pete's suggestion of "shop talk" is good and also "The Meeting Place"

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024