Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:13 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Cyclones everwhere!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:25pm 29 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its a crazy summer down under, floods and heat waves, and there are cyclones all over the place!

We have one that may affect this site in the next day. Its expected to cross the coast about 300km north of here ( Mackay ), but these things can change direction. Its only a baby, cat 1 or 2. Very wind here, I've taken down the windmills and solar panels. My anometer is giving stupid readings, its broken, but my trusty Dick Smith wind speed meter tells me we are averaging about 30kmh and gusting to 60kmh. It will get worse over the next 12 hours, then start to back off by the morning.

There is a super cyclone predicted for later in the week, cat 4 or 5. that one is a worry

Anyway, there may be some down time for the site, depenting on how the weather affects power and comunications.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:33am 30 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

Batten down the hatches cause it's here.

Bob
Foolin Around

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:42am 31 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, that cyclone has gone through, got a bit windy.

Now for the scary one, Yasi, a super cyclone. Its predicted it will have a path of destruction 500km wide. I'm putting in plans to evacuate my home in the next day, depending on how things develope.

There is a good chance the web site and forum will be off line as the cyclone approches and crosses the coast. Depending on how the power and comunication systems are affected, we could be off line for days or weeks.

I'll post upates on the Fieldlines forum when I can.

Fingers crossed

Glenn Edited by Gizmo 2011-02-01
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:45pm 31 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

I know you moved to get better wind for your mill, but this is ridiculous, next time you pray for wind don't do it so fervently.

Jokes aside keep your self safe, and we all think of our northern cousins, with all the flooding and battering you get.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

RossW
Guru

Posted: 01:58am 07 Feb 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn, all those part-done projects, all the "not worth the freight to move" precious junk you've accumulated etc... there is an answer.

Go purchase a shipping container. Good ones come up all the time, and they're not particularly expensive (all things considered). Depending on the size of your shop and goodies, they come in 10', 20' and 40' lengths. The 40' at least also come in standard height, and "high-cube".

I've got two 40' "high-cube" containers (they're 9'6" high). They cost between $2200 and $3400 delivered to site.

Thats way cheaper than a shed of comparable size.

Load them up, it's a LOT cheaper to ship a container than pay someone to come and stack up flatbed trucks or furniture trucks. You can load them in your own time, make sure they're secure and so on.

They're virtually waterproof. They're quite secure. You can USE them as a shed or lockup at your new place, or sell them and recover most of your outlay.

The last hint is worth knowing: Most councils require building and planning permits for sheds, but containers are considered "portable" and are exempt!!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:00pm 08 Feb 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I did look into this Ross. A 20 foot container is going to cost me $3900. As a rule, we expect to pay 25% more than other centers, called "Mackay Tax", typical in mining towns. Buying elsewhere I could get the same sized container for about $2900, but the freight to get it here would cost close to $1000, so I gain nothing there. Freight was another problem, the rail line to Toowoomba is still cut from the floods, with no time frame on them being repaired

It was a good idea, but just no workable in this case.

Glenn
JAQ

grub

Posted: 07:20pm 08 Feb 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Speaking of Queensland, did you see where the American news services miss placed them and even added a new state?

Copied from the news site so delete them if you need to.

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 10:38pm 08 Feb 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

American news services are barking at wrong tree and none of USA Politician ever ask if we need help with our disaster turn blind eye not ever visit our country so Australian MP have to travel to USA for meeting and tell us nothing when Aussie MP return home

Dwyer

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024