Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:04 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Spammer

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:28am 09 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey just a quick thank you to all the members who spotted the spammer "kaven" and his repeated bridge rectifier posts. I think I've deleted all his posts, and removed his membership and banned his email address, but that doesn't stop him using a different email address unfortunately.

Thanks

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

shawn

Posted: 12:28pm 09 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good riddance what an idiot

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:32pm 13 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Had another spammer tonight. This time he posted a slightly off topic post, but not what I would think was spam, so I left it. Then he must have gone back in and edited his post, to add the spam! I deleted him.

I've now blocked all gmail, hotmail and yahoo accounts from registering. This wont affect current members. If a gmail/hotmail/yahoo user would like to sign up, they can contact me through the About TheBackShed.com page and I'll add their membership manually.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 08:57pm 23 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's interesting how they find new ways to get there crap onto a forum. It must be a big time waster for you Glenn to have to deal with this type of thing all the time.
Keep up the good work, and thanks for keeping us spam free!

Matthew

Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:06pm 23 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah they keep me busy. I've set up the forum to send me an email every time a new member signs up, so I can go and review the information they entered. About 80% are spammers, and get deleted on the spot. You can pick them, they put in info like "dinner and movies" for their hobbies, and have something like "cheap watches" in their signature line.

Sometimes I dont get to review the details in time, and the spammers manage to post a message or two before I can do something. But I find I usually get a heads up from other forum members, which I appreciate. There's that button that sends me a message, the only down side is it wont let me reply to the member who sent it, which is a shame cause I would like to thank them.

I've seen some sites that are covered in spam, to the point where the forum is unusable. Spammers have no social conscience.

Glenn
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024