Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:26 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Server Outage

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:56am 09 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There was a server outage today for a an hour give or take, power blackout at the ISP.

Sorry about the down time.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

RossW
Guru

Posted: 09:47am 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   There was a server outage today for a an hour give or take, power blackout at the ISP.

Sorry about the down time.

Glenn

Could have been worse. You might have chosen distribute.it. 4,800 odd websites down for 10 days+, and announced this morning that there's no chance of recovery.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:07am 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, thats bad.

I was with Web Central a year or so ago, they had problems for a couple of days, and then restored my data from a week earlier! They even stopped answering their phones! Thats when I left and went back to using a small town ISP to host my site. The problem with using the big guys, is you are very unimportant to them. I will never use them again.

Thats also why I now have daily backups in several locations places.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:38pm 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Been reading more about the distribute.it problems. 4800 websites gone for good is bad. The problem with hackers is they have no conscience, no respect. Its not just the hosting company they bring down, but thousands of innocent everyday people.

But it's also a reminder how important backups are. distribute.it obviously had no off site backups. If they did, they could restore those 4800 web sites. Maybe the data would be a week or two old, but thats a lot better than no data. I myself run a backup every day into a backup directory ( both business data and this web site ), which is then copied onto an external HD and to dropbox.com. I swap the external HD over once a week, so I have at least one copy thats not connected to my network, in case a hacker gets into the system. You can never have too many backups, cause one day, your going to need them.

Glenn
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024