Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:46 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Moving Hosts

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:17pm 11 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some time in the next week or so I'll be moving the entire thebackshed.com domain and web site to a different host. The site and forum has outgrown its existing home.

This will mean the forum will be offline for a few hours to a day, depending on how long it takes for the DNS to update.

I'll post a message just before I make the move.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:52pm 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just an update. I had planned to host thebackshed with NetRegistry, a largish hosting company in Australia. But after uploading a copy of the site, doing a few tests, and getting the impression the technical support team are not very confident with Windows servers, I've decided against using them. I was told originally the server supported ASPJPG, a component for resizing images, so I did a few tests, only to get errors. Sent an email off to support, 3 days later I get a reply to say the servers dont support ASPJPG, but they do support another similar component, has me worried. Also IIS ( the windows web server ) has a error page called 500-100.asp, its the page called when there was a server side scripting error. To the visitor it displays something like "Opps, there was an error", but to me it sends a detailed email about the error, remote ip, etc, very usefully to track errors and hacks. NetRegistry told me their servers dont support 500-100.asp, which is rubbish, its part of the system.

So anyway, I've decided to host the web site at home. I have a ADSL2 connection here with pretty consistant 800k upload speeds, 6,000k download. The site now sits on a 500k upload channel, so my ADSL is slightly faster. All I needed was a server.

I do run a windows server here for my business, but didn't want to share it with thebackshed.com, besides I will need a little more control on the traffic coming and going. So with the help of Gavin from Orion Online, we're setting up a Linux server to host a couple of Windows servers as virtual machines. Its running CentOS 64 bit with 4gig ram. The host OS will run a couple of Windows servers, one for my business and one for thebackshed.com, to keep them separate from eachother in case one has a problem.

I'm typing this on the new server now, its pretty snappy. In a couple of days I'll have something up and running we can test on.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 09:56am 18 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think it will be an interesting experience.

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:17am 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, I've got the site up and running on a temporary address of new.thebackshed.com. Could members let me know how it performs? Speed mainly, compared to the existing site at www.thebackshed.com.
Some of the links within the temporary site may be broken, or pointing back to www.thebackshed.com instead of new.thebackshed.com, so keep an eye on the address bar.

I have copied over the forum, but its locked down, so if you get a Forum Closed message, ignore it.

Glenn
JAQ

BobDevries

Posted: 06:31am 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If I click on your link new.thebackshed.com it takes me to the website, but then clicking on the icon "The Back Shed" results in error 404.

Regards,

Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 06:49am 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen

Me too!

HTTP Error 404

Page Not Found

Oops! Looks like that page doesnt exist.

Please go to the home page and navigate your way from there.

http://www.thebackshed.com

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:54am 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, ignore that one, thats the development page, havn't copied that over yet. How about the main site, with the windmills and stuff?

JAQ

Barry T Coles

Posted: 08:25am 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen

Clicking on the link works fine for me.

Cheers
Barry
I need to learn from the mistakes of others.
I dont have the time to make them all myself.

stuarts

Posted: 08:57am 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

looks ok to me and it seems plenty fast.

Stuart
Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

mac46

Guru

Posted: 11:40am 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Same here, working fast and ok...I did find and fix a bad connection here at my end.

...Mac46
I'm just a farmer

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:29pm 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen
I have no problem clicking on the link working great.

Dwyer the Bushman

petanque don

Posted: 01:13pm 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

works for me using opera as a browser.

vasi

Guru

Posted: 02:50pm 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Working good here.
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

WindChopper

Posted: 08:55pm 21 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Works slick on either FireFox or IE.

Should be a winner.

Russ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:15am 22 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well thats good to hear.

I'll be shutting it down a few times over the next few days while I reconfigure stuff, like network cables, etc. I also want to do a test running the UPS from my inverter and battery bank in case there is an extended power outage.

Glenn
JAQ

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 04:56am 22 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Using Safari and it works great now!

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:55am 22 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, I've just transfered the mail server over, so now email is going through here instead of the old server. Should be seamless, I've watched a few emails go through already. This wont affect the forum.

Glenn
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024