Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:41 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Bloody spammers

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:55am 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The spammers have been thick and fast lately. All using gmail/hotmail/yahoo etc email accounts. They are harmless, but create a lot of work for me deleting them and blocking their email address.

Thanks to everyone who uses the button to let me know about the spam posting. Unfortunately I cant easily reply to the member who made the report, so I would just like to thank them all now. I read every report message from members and take action if necessary, and I appreciate everyone's effort in reducing spam on this site.

I'll tinker with the forum code to make it harder for gmail/hotmail spamers to sign up, while not making it to hard for new real legitimate members.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

stuarts

Posted: 09:41am 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn, many thanks for all your work.

Stuart
Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 01:19pm 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
I'm glad that you can tinkle on more than wind turbines,PC's are beyond me at the moment.I used my laptop for a couple of months and the bugs hit.It cost time, money and another cluey guy to fix it up.So I'm counting on you to take care of things.Thanks again,cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

sparkey

Posted: 05:52am 29 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thank u glenn for removing that crap about hand bags all will be appreiated
technicians do it with least resistance

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:36am 02 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've just blocked all new forum registrations trying to use hotmail, yahoo and gmail accounts, I've had it with the spammers.

I'll look at changing the way the forum signs up new members with those accounts in a day or two.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

grub

Posted: 09:22am 02 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is another one waffling on about pearls.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:08pm 03 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm going to make a few changes to the way the forum registers new members using gmail, hotmail, etc accounts.

Spammers ( see: low life scumbags ) use the free email accounts like hotmail because they can quickly create a brand new account when the one they are using gets blocked.

I'll get the forum software to check a few things, like country of origin, etc. If its an Ozy, chances are its a nice person. If its China, chances are its a spammer. If its somewhere like the USA, Europe, etc, then its 50/50, so I'll get the forum to ask them a few more questions and delay the account activation for a few hours to deter the spammers.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:52am 04 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Added some code to stop anyone from particular countries signing up to become a new member/spammer. See how that goes.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:43pm 04 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Apart from China, it looks like the USA is home to a low of spammers. Shame on you!
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024