Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:25 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Down time 2am 30th Aug

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:40pm 29 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I shut everyting down for about an hour, big electric storm passing over. Some awfully close strikes, shook the house for seconds.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:54pm 29 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the last 2-3 years we have had that kind of storms, with very violent (and repeating with a high frequency) electric discharges. We are losing everything we forget on the mains or connected to external cables (phone and network). ADSL routers are the most affected.

The only protection you have against is to disconnect them from the mains and remove any external network and phone cables from their connectors.

In the summer we have weeks with electrical storms every afternoon. Imagine how often a server can be down at my place...

VasiEdited by vasi 2011-08-31
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:19am 30 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah I would prefer to leave the server up and running, but the lightning strikes were some of the biggest I've seen for a long time. Having worked for Telecom, I can tell you some horror stores about lightning.

I shut everything down, which can take a while cause I have to shut down the virtual machines before I can shut down the host, then kill the power at the UPS and the power point, and unplug the phone line.

I do leave the power leads plugged in though. At Telecom we had some gear destroyed by a EMP. A HV powersupply, it was temporarily out of service while we tested its backup unit. The powersupply was sitting in the middle of the workshop and not connected to anything. Big storm, and one very nasty bolt hit the tower. The Backup unit was OK, it shut down, but reset OK. When we put the other unit back into service, it was dead, microcontroller and tube drive circuitry all fried.

I dont like lightning

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:22am 30 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Actually there is another storm on its way. Will keep an eye on it, may have to shut down the site again.
JAQ

aargee

Posted: 04:12am 30 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn, I just built the lightning detector from the July SC. On veroboard, using a dual CMOS 7556 timer (instead of two 7555s) and housed in an Arlec wireless remote alarm siren box.

I those storms seem to be travelling this way (Ipswich), the fact I'm listening for them will be a good repellent.

- Rob.

For crying out loud, all I wanted to do was flash this blasted LED.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:17am 30 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah they are heading your way. Power dropping out here, UPS working overtime. I'm going to shut down in a couple of minutes till it passes.

Glenn
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024