Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:26 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Changes to forum registration

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:31am 21 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The spam has gotten out of hand lately. I've added code to block Chinees based spammers, but I'm still getting a lot from the USA and some east European countries.

So I've changed the sign up process for new members. All new members will fill out a form as before, but instead of their details automatically entered into the database, they will be emailed to me for approval. If I think it looks like a real person, I will manually enter their details into the database and activate their membership, then send them an email to let them know. This could take a couple of hours.

If it looks like a spammer, I'll ignore it.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:56am 03 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So far so good, this change has really knocked the spammers on the head so far.

The new member sign up process sends me an email with the new members details. It asks for their name, country, password etc, and I set up the membership for them, then send an email to them when its done. The software also performs a IP to Country lookup, and notifies me if they selected a different country to the one they are actually situated in. If I get someone who says he's in the USA, but is actually in India, I ignore it, for example. I also do a quick google search on their email address and username, looking for spam like posts by them on other forums. The whole process only takes a minute, and 90% of the applicants are good to go.

But recently it did raise a question? Who do I let in? I had a new membership, country checked out OK, but their password contained swearing, a bit off putting, but no reason to block somone. I was ready to add them, but as a last check I started a email and username search, and they poped up on a few forums, so had a look to see if it looked like spam. Not spam, but some of the foulest language directed towards businesses I have ever seen. The F and C words, and lots of demanding action on minor issues. Just general nasty inappropriate stuff on different forums.

So what do I do? Do I make him a member or not? Chances are he will use the same sort of language here, and I will have to chase his tail deleting posts and reminding him about the rules and regulations of using a forum. I'm saving myself the grief of having a forum member like that, but is that the right thing to do?

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 09:16am 03 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

In the past you have been very pedantic about the content of the forum and with good results in most cases. a few bent noses and bailouts but the forum is a family affair.

I personally have an axe to grind with Politics and greedy commercial interests but would hope to express it in moderate language, word wide the language standard has deterioration to a alarming extent but no reason for the forum to accept that.

The code of conduct is there and it is your position as administrator to enforce it, but to pre-empt the situation is a bit biased. perhaps a stern warning first then block when proven noncompliance takes place is a reasonable way to go. Stick to a higher standard than bullock driver language as it isn't necessary.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:29am 08 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I decided against it Bob. He didn't provide a real name, his password contains swearing, and posts by him on other forums are aggressive and also contain a lot of swearing. I just have a feeling he would have created too much work for me.

People need to understand the internet is a open book, and your actions will be judged. As a lot of young people are finding out when they apply for jobs, their employer will research them on the internet to find out about their personality. Its no different to phoning an old employer, just easier.

Glenn
JAQ

muddy0409

Posted: 03:48am 08 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn.
Seems to me that this is YOUR(?) forum, so you have every right to make the rules to whatever you feel is appropriate. Just the same as having a meeting. If the bloke in charge thinks someone doesn't fit, ask him to leave, or don't let him in in the first place. If others don't like the way YOU are running YOUR outfit, let them set up their own! and leave YOURS alone.

Don't poo poo conspiracy theories.
Remember that everything ever discovered started somewhere as a theory.

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 09:35am 08 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
I have a slightly different take on your position.I don't feel it is apropriate to accept a member with a warning to start with.They already have an established track record/pattern without any evidence to change.This behaviour is equivalent to spammers and that is why we apreciate you blocking them.Thanks for the diligent effort you put towards the forum.Cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

paceman
Guru

Posted: 10:38am 08 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
I'm with the tone of the others. On other forums I've found aggressive &/or foul mouthed members. They do nothing for the forum except detract from it and as you say, create work for those running the show. Aggressive responses from these people to genuine posts are also likely to turn the real contributors off.
You've got a good forum already; why let riff-raf ruin things.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 07:32am 09 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

Good move to keep out this aggression. it achieves nothing other than pandering to the ego of the aggressor.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 03:56pm 09 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen

My Opinion is, You don't need to Baby sit a pervert.

As the Forum grows you will not have time to read every post. The Members should be
mature enough to exercise self discipline to maintain the High standard you have created.
-----------Cheers, Roe

EDIT; Glen, Here is a screen shot of the cookies from the backshed, How many or which ones are necessary to log on? Thanks.

Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

philb

Posted: 06:46pm 09 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen, I like this forum is it is family oriented and the spam is almost non-existent.
If it is kept this way, the forum will continue to grow. Please keep up the good work!
philb

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:23pm 09 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Roe the WWF ( Web Wiz Forums ), and maybe the RT cookie, are needed by the forum, but cookies are harmless and only take up a few bytes of space, I wouldn't worry about them. Sometimes removing them slows things down, as the web site will rewrite them.

Glenn
JAQ

norcold

Guru

Posted: 06:30pm 17 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As I`m fairly new and green behind the ears a bit to forums and a bloody lot of other things. I`d just like to thank you for the oportunity this forum has given me to learn from others experience and widen my horizons. That has given me a sense of belonging to something I guess could be described as a club that caters for a very wide interest group although predominately RE. My Missus has seen this redneck sit at a computer for many hours trying to get his head around scripts recently(re logger) something she would not have dreamed he`d even consider (never mind enjoy) attempting before The Backshed. Seems we don`t have to always agree except to agree to disagree sometimes.
From my viewpoint your blood should be bottled, Glenn.
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 11:08pm 29 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen

As a rule, I don't like to judge others. Half the time I'm reading things wrong and the other half of the time I'm just not thinking at all. For most of the rest of the crew here, everyone knows I'm the one who tries all the nutty projects, so who am I to judge?

Still, when I see it's a clearcut case of spamming, I have that little ace up my sleeve. I don't use it much, but when I think it's appropriate, I drop this into the thread:

It's kinda funny while at the same time, it conveys the message.

I'll be the first to say I've used it a couple of times and it turned out to be not spam but my misinterpretation, so to those chosen few, my appologies.

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

MrDelanco

Posted: 01:44am 06 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I really enjoy this forum, I really enjoy being a member of the Back Shed forum. I am finding that I look forward to checking in and getting together with my colleagues and other members here to discuss key issues and challenges about our project's.

Thank-you for having me.

Regards Robert.
MrDelanco:Project Videos
It is not only too know what it does but to understand how it does what it does.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024