Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:23 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Changes to the forum

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:16am 20 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, a few small changes.

Changed the member ranking. Before, once a member reached 100 posts, they were upgraded to a "Senior Member". I've changed that to "Regular Member", sorry guys. Once a member reaches 300 posts, they then become a "Senior Member", and get 4 stars.

If you have over 300 posts, you will still be a "Regular Member" until you post another post. The software then updates your rank.

Added a "Diaries" section, a place for senior members to post stories about their builds. Some members are still ranked as "Regular Members" so wont be able to start a diary, but I feel there are some regular members who should be able to start a diary, so, if your a regular member, and would like to start a diary, send me a PM.

Some cosmetic changes to the forum page layout.

Added a new page to the main web site about using the Alegro current sensors.

GlennEdited by Gizmo 2012-01-21
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 12:11pm 20 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Everything is narrower - limited to the center of the screen (in Chrome) where it used to be full width.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:42pm 20 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said   Everything is narrower - limited to the center of the screen (in Chrome) where it used to be full width.

That's the "best practice" in web sites these days. Something to do with making it easier to read, your eye dont need to move as far to read each line. The main web site has been a column 1000 pixels wide for some time now, and I've wanted to get the forum looking the same. Plus I wanted the forum to look more like the main site. The forum will still automatically go wider if there is a large image, etc.

The site navigation is a bit of a mess, and I want to get it all looking uniform and easy to navigate over the next few months.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 01:53pm 20 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It looks good. I wasn't sure if it was deliberate or a side-effect of something else, so I thought I would mention it.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:56pm 20 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The text area is wider enough for photos, code and text. Looking ahead for navigation aspect.
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 02:03pm 20 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
Luv the changes.Particularly happy to be a regular member than a senior.My posts have not been particularly technical in nature and may have unnitentionally irritated those who deserve the latter ranking!I still feel there's a lot to learn so the questions are likey to keep coming?Cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:42pm 20 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm finding the main text of each post doesn't auto-wrap at the right-hand edge of my window (or anywhere near it). Not critical but seems odd. I have to use a wider window than I would normally do (or scroll a lot) and I imagine it'll be awful on anything with a small screen (ipad, mobile/cell phone etc).

Is it a setting I can change?

John

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:12pm 20 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi John

Sounds like you run a low screen resolution or larger fonts. I'll see what I can do.

Hi Rastus

The main reason I changed the Senior rank to Regular rank, is I couldn't think of a word for members with a status higher than Senior . I needed an extra level above Senior for the Diaries section, but didn't know what to call it, so ended up renaming Senior to Regular and added Senior as the new rank.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:38am 21 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Made a change to the html that should make it easier to read on low resolution screens.
JAQ

Barry T Coles

Posted: 01:24am 21 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi JohnS

There is one simple way to get around not having to scroll across to read the right hand side.

Hold down the ctrl key & use the roller wheel on your mouse to enlarge or reduce the size of the print on screen.

It works for me on a HP note book.

Cheers
Barry
I need to learn from the mistakes of others.
I dont have the time to make them all myself.

Jarbar

Posted: 02:22am 21 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,a rank higher than Senior could be a Guru.

Anthony.

"Creativity is detirmined by the way you hold your tounge".My Father
"Your generation will have to correct the problems made by mine".My Grandfather.

norcold

Guru

Posted: 02:51am 21 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many thanks for Algero Current Sensor page, have got mine operating in agreeance with shunts on my inverters logger.However am having problems with them zeroing get readings that trend from -0.12 to +0.12 when current output is zero. Perhaps the resitor-cap combination will get them to zero. Can "cheat" and get a steady zero reading by a little extra line in the scripting. The ones I have are 50ohm ACS758 and are mounted on a board with a small cap(not marked) between +5 and ground.
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

djuqa

Guru

Posted: 05:17am 21 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  
Hi Rastus

The main reason I changed the Senior rank to Regular rank, is I couldn't think of a word for members with a status higher than Senior . I needed an extra level above Senior for the Diaries section

Glenn
Old CODGER RankEdited by djuqa 2012-01-22
VK4MU MicroController Units

norcold

Guru

Posted: 08:01am 21 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Naval ranks, from Ensign to Admiral might be the way, that way you could strip a few stripes off us when we step outside the rules.
Vic

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 11:23am 21 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   Hi John

Sounds like you run a low screen resolution or larger fonts. I'll see what I can do.

Glenn

Neither of those, but it now works great so whatever you did is good, thanks :)
BTW, fascinated by the write-up of the current sensors!

Barry - nice idea but not what was wanted or would work. Glenn's fixed it.

JohnEdited by JohnS 2012-01-22

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:22am 24 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

norcold said   Many thanks for Algero Current Sensor page, have got mine operating in agreeance with shunts on my inverters logger.However am having problems with them zeroing get readings that trend from -0.12 to +0.12 when current output is zero. Perhaps the resitor-cap combination will get them to zero. Can "cheat" and get a steady zero reading by a little extra line in the scripting. The ones I have are 50ohm ACS758 and are mounted on a board with a small cap(not marked) between +5 and ground.

Yeah that drift can be a problem. I've updated the page to include some software fixes.

Glenn
JAQ

norcold

Guru

Posted: 05:13am 24 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I`m learning, the "cheat" I mentioned was a simple line If $I=<0.12 THAN $I=0. Than the scriping has a global function @@getADCSupply voltage, incorporating that in the script assisted accuracy.I use a powered USB hub and leave the logger running on USB even when PC is off, this has also helped. Next I`m thinking of using one of the digital channels to monitor the supply voltage, and incorporate its results in each sensors scripting.
Bloody lot of learning going on here, all pretty alien to me but the scripting commands seem very logical and feel with time I`ll get my head around it a bit.
Vic

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024