Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:35 17 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Moving Server

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:20am 29 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Over the next few weeks I'll be moving the entire www.thebackshed.com domain to a online hosting service. Currently this web site, including this forum, lives on a PC at my home office. I'll be moving house in a couple of months, and my new place wont have ADSL, so I'll need to host the web site elsewhere.

This will have little effect on the site and forum. The only downtime will be when I change the DNS, and even then all you'll notice is a locked forum. You will still be able to read the forum, but wont be able to post messages. This will only last a day or two at the most. I'll post a message before I start the move.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:28pm 16 May 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, we are on the new server. DNS delegation is taking forever, so some of you will see this new site, and some will still see the old site.

The image handling routines had to be modified to run with the different server components. I think its working ok.

There are bound to be a few bugs in the system, will sort them out as I find them.

Glenn
Edited by Gizmo 2012-05-18
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:14pm 17 May 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well the transfer of TheBackShed to the new online hosting company is complete, and I've shut down the web site at the old address. This is the PC the web site and this forum have lived on for the last year.

Nothing special, a bog standard PC with 2Gig ram and 80Gig HD, you dont need much to run a web server unless you feeding thousands of visitors per minute. The site was only geting a few thousand per day, so it was just idling along.

My choice of OS and software may shock some people. Even though we are often told a Windows PC is unsecure, and you need to run Linux or a Apple to play it safe, I can say thats not a steadfast rule. This PC was using Windows XP as the host OS. Under XP I was running a couple of Win2k installs as virtual machines. One Win2k install ran my email server and this web site, the other was for development and as a file server for home. The PC ran perfectly for the last year, for months on end without any need to reboot.

I did stick by a few rules though. All updates were applied as they became available, the servers were left in a logged out state, and I didn't use the XP host for anything other than as a host for the virtual machines, it was left alone to do its job and nothing else. Like I said it would run for months with no hickups.

There have been hundreds of hacking attempts made, but nothing got through ( that I know of ). One well set up, patched and maintained OS is as secure as another, it's the person thats siting in front of the keyboard thats the security threat. The only web site of mine thats been hacked into in the last year was one I host with a well known Australian hosting company ( wont mention the name ). A hacker added a worm into the header of a web page of mine that lives on a "secure" apache/linux server, I wasn't very happy about that.

The important thing to realise is the internet is full of people looking for holes in the security of your system, any system. Windows is very prone to this sort of thing, it's a common OS and easily compromised if the operator isn't carefull. But any OS can be hacked into if the hacker is smart enough.

Glenn
JAQ

Georgen
Guru

Posted: 08:22pm 21 May 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lost access for couple of weeks, as my saved access redirected me for some reason to this site:

< removed >

First I thought not to worry, as it will clear itself.

Glad I started to search, as the other option continuously pops up. Edited by Gizmo 2012-05-23
George

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:52pm 21 May 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi George

That was a link to the web email client. I removed that link just as a security measure.

Yeah while DNS updates, funny things can happen. I think its all back to normal now.

Glenn
JAQ

Georgen
Guru

Posted: 11:55pm 21 May 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry for inserting live link.

Is there any so called > Assembly Point < when there is difficutly to access the site?

Something like some E-mail address I/we can ask for assistance or new site address?

Or once its gone its gone?

George

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024