Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:35 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : 11th March 2007. Added another web page.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:37am 11 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well it was hot this weekend! No winds at all, very still and hot. So I spent most of the weekend in doors in the shade.

Added a new page to the web site about converting a cheap sensor light to 12v operation, link here.

I also did some work on the cnc router. Trev and I are working on a new blade, so I drew up a NACA2410 profile in CAD and used the router to cut a couple of ribs, as a test run.

And here is a ziped up movie of the router in action. 1.8M download.

2007-03-11_202441_NACA2410.zip

I set the router to make one pass at almost full depth, the foam was 25mm thick so the cut depth was 24mm. This left 1mm at the bottom of the rout to keep the piece attached to the parent material. It all worked out well, now I just need to cut about 100 more of them, all different sizes.

The profile is a NACA2410, a low drag high lift profile used by large wind turbines. While it would be hard to make by hand, using the router means I get get the profile spot on. When finished routing, all the ribs will be slipped over a length of dowel or steel tube ( thats what the hole in the middle is for ) and then the angles set before glueing, but thats Trevs department. The finished blade will then be used to make a mould.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 08:14pm 11 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn. Excellant work there. So , 100 of those all slightly different lengths and profiles attached to the dowel and twisted on it to get the twist Etc.

Then Trev will use that as a "plug " to make 2 X half moulds and lay up the glass matting Etc in this mould .

What will be inserted into the mould ? liquid foam ? .I guess this will give it the strength internally.

Looking forward to the finished product,
Thanks to both of you for such excellant work ,and the work description.

Bruce
Bushboy

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:07am 29 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No foam in these blades Bruce, these will be hollow. We will make the two halves in F/g and join them together.

How's it going Glenn, How many have you done now??

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024