Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:33 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : 13th May 2007, time for a change.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:46am 13 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya all.

Changed the windmills over last weekend. Last Saturday was windy and I thought the Sunday would be a good day to test the modified Chinese blades, so on Saturday afternoon when the winds had died down a bit I took down the Lenz and put the HAWT back up. Woke up next day to find the winds had gone completely and the rain had come, typical! I put a electrical short across the windmill and waited for a windy day. I don’t like the idea of letting an untested windmill run while I’m not around, during the day while I’m at work the windmill could run up to speed and have a balance problem or noise problem, and I wont be around to shut it down. So I always keep any new windmills shorted until I can be there during a wind event to test it out.
Several days went past until Thursday night there was a small wind change and I went out side to let the windmill free spin. It took off like crazy, an easy 500 plus RPM, and the only noise was the normal whooshing noise I used to hear on my other windmill blades. Excellent! There was another wind change this Saturday ( Yesterday ) and under load the windmill was pumping 8 amps into the battery bank, with no windmill noise to be heard from the workshop, about 10 meters from the windmill. The modifications I did to these Chinese blades can be seen here, or from the Info and Projects page, and a big thanks to David up near Townsville for his help.

The web site and forums may be off line some time during the next week, I’ll be moving the web site to a new server at a new location and it will take a little time for everything to settle down. Just before the move I’ll lock the forums to stop anyone posting a message and then loosing their posting due to the change over.

Why am I moving the web site? Well the web site lives on a server at my work place, and on Friday I gave them my notice, finish up in about 3 weeks. I’ve been with them for almost 4 years now and that’s a long time in one place for me. A few disputes over the last few months and a feeling of frustration with dealing with some senior staff members has convinced me its time to move on. I don’t know what I’ll do yet, start working for myself again or find a new job, but I’m not worried about it. Finding work in Mackay, especially for someone with experience in software and CNC is easy.

I’ll keep everyone posted.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 01:46am 13 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,, First, the best of evrything to you for your future,I wish you well.

The mill, sounds like you're on a winner with the mod you worked on .

Bruce
Bushboy

Prof

Posted: 02:34pm 16 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen,
I think you will not have a problem in finding some other employment. I help with a business in my area with IT support that has CNC gear such as Laser & water cutters etc and they have endless problems with retaining quality people. I am not however an employee, and would not suggest that you should relocate however.

Maybe, you should look outside the square?? Something a bit different?? External consultancy?? Develop a new business?? Need some financial partners?

In between trades people and consulting engineers,(such as my son) technocrats are needed. Just needs someone with the business plan and drive to succeed.
You could start an "ERGON free" club (lobby)- I would be eligible to join as I would not be subjected to the recent 10% price rise and I always thank all Queenslanders for subsidising my Ambulance fees etc ..

Best wishes,
Prof

I know boats!!

AMUN-RA

Posted: 10:13pm 16 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Prof how are the house plans going have you sorted the council yet We Cant get the rebate yet but $8000 is not a bad deal if you buy a 1kw system for your new house.
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

petanque don

Posted: 01:36am 17 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

All the best for the future.

There may even be a small business opportunity debugging the cheap Chinese wind mills.

If you were feeing adventurous do you know any expatriate Chinese people?

There seems to be money in importing if you can find a good saleable product.

regards

Don

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024