Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:01 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Moving server some time soon.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:32pm 21 Oct 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm looking into moving the forum to a new server in the next week. Currently this forum and web site are hosted with a company called Quadra Hosting, who I highly recommend. Up time has been good and their price is also good, and I've been with them off and on for several years.

Recently I've set up a virtual server for business use, and thought I might migrate TheBackShed.com to this new server. Two reasons....

I save a few dollars on the hosting fees.

I can change the forum software to a more modern version.

The virtual server can run both classic ASP, which this site/forum uses, and PHP, which is a modern server side language. Classic ASP, while still in common use, was dropped by Microsoft about 15 years ago. It still runs on modern servers, but hasn't been updated since then, where PHP is under ongoing development.

One problem with the current forum software is its pre mobile era, meaning its not compatible with mobile devices, and thats a big thing now. Put simply, the forum doesn't re-scale to suit mobile devices, so the forum is hard to read and use from a mobile device.

So I'll look into other modern forum software, find something I can modify to suit our needs ( I've modified this current forum software heaps over the years ), and migrate the data and files over.

So anyway, at some time in the next week the forum will be locked while its moving from one server to the other. If you see this "Forum Locked", call back after a few hours. No posts, images or files will be lost, and the URL ( web site address ) will be the same.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:14pm 08 Nov 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a update. My NBN service has been unreliable the last week, so I wont transfer this web site to the new server until I can be sure my NBN is stable. The reason is I may need to fix a problem or ten that will pop up, and I cant do that without a internet connection.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:27am 14 Nov 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Testing.

JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:49am 14 Nov 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

2017-11-14_212624_Untitled_1.pdf

JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:06am 15 Nov 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Testing uploading of largish file ( 850k )

JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:06am 15 Nov 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oops, resizing was wrong.

Plus increased to 640 for JPG, 1025 for GIF

JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024