Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:35 17 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Price Watch : Delivery charge rant

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 05:11am 30 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used to buy lots of parts from RS Components but they now charge $37.- for delivering a small part from Sydney to Perth.
I can get a similar part delivered from Digikey in the States for $24.-

I guess I'm getting ripped off by RS, and they have no cheaper delivery options either, as some Asian suppliers have. So, my orders from RS will cease unless the required part cannot be sourced elsewhere and I'm desperate for it .

Too bad it has come to that, RS used to be a good place to buy from, especially when they were located in Perth and I just went to the trade counter.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:06am 31 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, one of the reasons I never buy from RS anymore is simply their freight charges.
It gets even worse then the prices you stated, once you go international.

Glad I'm not the only one.
I haven't ordered from them in ages, and would still use them as a last resort, cos I know their parts are good and genuine etc, but so long as I can get cheaper from places like element14, well......

To be fair to RS, it might be out of their hands to some extent - maybe.
I know that for me, sending things internationally can only be done here in NZ via NZ Post for airmail stuff, or DHL/FedEx if you want fast delivery.  It was about $100 for DHL last time I used it, and even UNTRACKED airmail is still about $30.

That's in kiwi-money, but it is still expensive.  It's probably only going to get worse as the inflation they are predicting for 2023 hits.  Perhaps it won't, but I guess that is wishful thinking.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 08:45am 31 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Buying anything from the US on fleabay is the same.
Literally seen over $100 freight charges for something that would fit in your hand.
it's ludicrous and insulting. Then they have all these other  BS charges and add the  " Thanks Mr Gerry Harvey" import tax on tax on things.
Somewhere else I'll never shop....if they are even still around.

Same as Alli express. Their item prices are fine, their freight charges are stupid. I have contacted sellers several times and asked for reasonable and realistic freight charges but they couldn't give a fluck so I guess they are either flat out busy or making a killing on the shipping.

Even local fleabay charges have gone up heaps.  Reflected in the overall prices when shipping is " Free". yeah right.

I think it is all just a disguised cash cow TBH.

pd--

Posted: 09:25am 31 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Everyone is getting in on the lark
just went to purchase an item in Sydney
it would usually be $10 via ausepost now they only offer DHL for $30
The worst part is auspost is usually faster
most of the freight companies are shockers for regional locations
they either sit on it for a week waiting until they have a few items to deliver in that area or use a sub contractor to deliver
iv even had stuff dropped at the post office because they do not deliver on dirt roads

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:06am 31 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The main issue as I see it, is that there is no way to know what is real.
If you question the prices, they simply say that COVID19 has forced an increase in prices.
While that might indeed be true, just how much is truth, and how much is profiteering - is anyone's guess.

It's a lovely excuse for HUGE price increases, and you simply can't argue with it, cos they just say it is cos of the virus.

Is it?
Isn't it?

Who REALLY knows.
Edited 2023-01-31 21:07 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024