Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:44 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Autonomous lawn mower.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:27am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Been a while since I shared a new project.

I have to mow about 3 acres of my place, the rest is grazed or being revegetated. I hate mowing. I have a bad back and mowing aggravates it. We are in our 3rd once in a 50 year wet season in 3 years, and I need to mow at least once a week so I can see those bastard big Eastern Brown snakes before I step on them. I hate snakes more than I hate mowing.

I've seen a few youtube videos of home made autonomous mowers. Some are electric, some use a conversional IC motor, but all use open source software with GPS to navigate the mower around the property. Sounds like fun. The plan is it will run for a few hours a day, and return to a solar charging station as needed. The whole acreage should be visited by the mower every 2 to 3 days.

About 12 years ago I picked up a little electric golf buggy for $60, minus batteries. It would be good for a future project I though at the time. Last week I took off the twin DC motor drives, the rest will make a good platform for a IC powered buggy.

Bought/found some steel and built the frame. The front wheels are castors, it will be steered by the back two motors.

The motors are rated at 24v 12 amp, so next I ordered a 25amp twin drive motor controller from robotgear.com.au, arrived today. The controller has forward and reverse, and several input options, including generic RC ( Remote Control ).

Found a couple 24v pancake motors, something I would have picked up at a clearing sale years ago. I tend to accumulate stuff like this. To get a 1000mm wide cutting width, I need two blades at 505mm diameter, one offset forward of the other to give a overlap without hitting each other. Bolted a 505mm piece of 40x3mm flat to one motor for a test, scary, but it spins up quickly and though not sharpened yet, its cuts grass easily. Each motor draws about 1 amp no load.

Next up I'll wire in the motor controller and use a RC unit to drive it around the yard.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

phil99

Guru

Posted: 03:31am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My autonomous lawn mower (a bit too autonomous!) with inbuilt shrub trimmer.

Bonus features include:-

Automatic clippings disposal.
Automatic fertilizer distribution.
Solar powered, via genuine green energy!

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 06:08am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  My autonomous lawn mower (a bit too autonomous!) with inbuilt shrub trimmer.

Bonus features include:-

Automatic clippings disposal.
Automatic fertilizer distribution.
Solar powered, via genuine green energy!

Cool  
This one eats weeds mostly.
Bettong.

Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 06:13am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   I need to mow at least once a week so I can see those bastard big Eastern Brown snakes before I step on them.
Yes but the Eastern Browns here can reach up to seat height.
Will be watching your build with interest.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:12am 23 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Had a set back  

The motor controller had arrived, and I purchased a couple new 60Ah deep cycle batteries for a good price. Rigged it all together with a remote control and wifi camera, and took it for a drive.

They motors had a lot of torque and it wanted to wheel stand, so added a big old flywheel to the front to put some weight in the nose. Fixed.

Then all of a sudden one motor was slipping. It was a noisy gearbox from scratch, and I had intended to pull it apart and replace what I though would be a noisy bearing. Removed the motor and pulled the gearbox apart. Its stuffed, nylon gear is stripped.

The model number returns nothing, its a EMD GB225-3002B. Made in the UK.

So looks like I'm taking a few steps backwards. The motors were rated at about 300 watts, and this was way more power than it needed. Most of the time it will be going at a nice casual walking speed. Oatley electronics used to sell a 250W geared down motor, but looks like they got out of scoota stuff. I'll keep looking.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:41am 23 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That looks like a job for a 3D printer...

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 07:51am 23 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  That looks like a job for a 3D printer...

Jim

That 3D printer plastic might be too soft. I made similar gears om my lathe out of aluminium, to be used in my solar tracker. Worm gear cutting on a lathe can be done if an indexing head is bolted to the cross slide and the indexer is driven from the screw cutting shaft. One is limited to the number of teeth possible by the available lathe gear ratios but it was quite a few as I remember.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:27am 24 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah I tend to agree, the 3D printer option wouldn't last very long, but it did have me thinking about it.

Looks like I can probably get another gear box and retrofit it for around $200. But looking into other options as well, like a chain drive. No rush.

I have found a few interesting videos and web sites on the autonomous mower subject. Most of them use Ardupilot as the software, and a flight computer.

Glenn
JAQ

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:57am 24 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perhaps a local engineering workshop can make one, if you give them the good one as a template. Worth asking about the price at least.

ryanm

Posted: 05:16am 24 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have a gander at this mob Gizmo. Lots of suitable small motors.

https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:13am 24 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks ryanm, looks like they have a suitable gearbox for a reasonable price.

There is a local bearing mob that I'll check out tomorrow, I seam to remember they had some worm drive gearboxes on a shelf last time I was in there. If no luck I'll order the one from motiondynamics.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:44am 25 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Placed order with Motion Dynamics. I did check out a local supplier, they had the same gearboxes in stock, but at more than double the price  

Just wait for it to arrive, more research in the meantime.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:37am 07 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Making some progress on the lawn mower. Its mostly been R&D so far.

I bought a Ardusimple SimpleRTK2B board, a RTK enabled board based on the u-blox F9P chip. Not cheap, about $400. After a few weeks of brain strain, not having a clue what I was doing, I finally managed to work out a GPS system accurate enough for a lawn mower.

Fortunately I have a free NTRIP server within 15km of my location. Its a government run service, you just need a username and password, and a internet connection, to receive a RTK correction data stream. I'm using a ESP32 board with Wifi, to connect to the NTRIP service over my NBN connection. This data is sent via a serial pin to the SimpleRTK2B board to process and come up with a "solution". Depending on the number of satellites and cloud cover, it manages a "Float" solution with a accuracy of 20cm, or a "FIX" with less than 2cm.  

The GSP antenna will be mounted on the mower as low as possible, between the two drive wheels. This is so if one wheel goes up or down over a rock or something, the GPS aerial is still roughly in the same position, and the mower wont be inclined to think its gone off course.

I'm using a little arduino compass board to get bearing. This will be mounted on a mast about 1 meter above the mower deck. This is to get it as far away from the motors as possible, magnetic fields and all that. I'll put the wifi aerial on the mast as well.

Finally I'll have a Raspberry Pi 3 as the web interface and data storage. This will use its own wifi channel. I'm using a Pi for this as I have one spare and I'm very comfortable with writing MySQL/PHP code on that platform.

The Pi will store all the waypoints, log data, and have the web interface to manually drive the rover, progress updates, change waypoint info, etc. The ESP 32 will request the next waypoint from the Pi, then use its compass to turn to face the next waypoint, then travel in a straight line until it reaches the way point. Once there, its reports back to the Pi ( for logs and updated map ), and requests the next waypoint.

I've started on the driving code. The ESP32 will do all this stuff, its more than capable. Mostly just a bunch of functions, like turn to X degrees on the compass, motor drive, veer left or right, watchdogs, etc.

Glenn.
JAQ

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 07:11am 08 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting project, way out of my league though

I thought a 2cm accuracy was military grade but then, the surveyors require something similar for their work.

May that mower treat all grass blades equal

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:40am 09 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Murphy's friend said  I thought a 2cm accuracy was military grade but then, the surveyors require something similar for their work.

Yeah that sort of accuracy for civilian use can only be achieved with a near by base station. I'm lucky, there is a free base station service about 15km away. Anything under 40km away is good enough.

If I was any further away from a free base station, I would need to set up my own base station, which isnt hard to do, its the same board, but configured differently. So I would need 2 SimpleRTK2B boards instead of the one.

The disadvantage of using the government free base station is the rover needs to be connected to the internet to get the RTK correction data.

Glenn
JAQ

ryanm

Posted: 11:34pm 26 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any updates on the mower Gizmo?

I'm sure I'm not the only one keen to see how it turned out.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:49pm 26 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its a slow project :)

I found the NTRIP servers connection wasn't as steady as I would like, so opted for the local base station and rover option. I ordered another Ardusimple RTK2B module ($$$) and configured it as a base station. I'm using a pair of HC-12 modules to let the base station and rover communicate.

Its working, and gets a solid fix.

I'm now working on the code to make the rover navigate and move. This are functions to do things like.

Get compass reading.
Calculate direction to next way point.
Rotate until compass faces new direction.
Move forward, check wheel turns.
Following a line between old and new waypoints.
If off to one side, make little changes to one motor speed.
etc
etc

Glenn
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024