Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:32 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Everything Electric - Sydney

Page 3 of 3    
Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Happy for the under cover carpark at Stocklands. It was raining. Drove in the rain after charging. Camped at Yamba. Rained during the night

Day 13
Drove to Marlborough. Charging. Set up swag, hoping to dry it out. Still overcast.

The next charge station is Carmila. That's where the big blue 3ph charger died. Don't know if it was a voltage spike that killed the charger or the charger failed taking out the station. (Dale did get more components in Sydney and tried again.  More smoke from a different area again that didn't smoke before) The plugshare website says 2 x type 2 available at Carmila.

Chargefox app indicates both outlets can be unlocked, but also says station owner has been notified of fault.

Is Carmila going to work?
Edited 2024-02-16 09:51 by Trev
Trev @ drivebynature.com

greybeard

Posted: 12:17am 16 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Trev,You mention different power ratings for outlets and I'd expect different charging rates could you throw out a couple of words in how that impacts in practice?  ie compatibility, charging times etc.
Stay dry and charged.
cheers
rod

Trev

Guru

Posted: 04:41am 16 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After charging at Marlborough, drove 37km down the road to Ogmore.

Currently with very little to do. Charging at Ogmore, (Astron - Sure servo) from single phase wall outlet. A sister company to where Kaitlyn works, Kuttabul- Sure servo.

With Carmila out of action we are taking any opportunity to charge in any way we can.

We could just start the genny's,
but attempting to do the return trip without them. So far so good. T-Rev has enough stored power to make it right through from Marlborough to Mackay. EV Hilux does not. With this little bit at Ogmore I am hoping I can manage the distance then to Mackay.

Cable is run out the front door.

To answer the question about plugs and power rates.
Single phase wall outlet is what you have in your house. GPO is another way to say wall outlet. That will run 1 charger, 20A (at the moment is 17A) to the batteries.
3 phase is like 3 x single phase lines. Can be 16A or 32A. 16A can run 3 chargers, 1 from each phase (60A to the batteries). 32A can run six chargers (120A to the batteries)
Type 2, 7kW. That can be 2 phase (run 1 charger per phase) or single phase (run 2 charger from the same phase).
Type 2, 11kW. This is generally 3 phase. (run 3 chargers, 1 from each phase)
Type 2, 22kW. 3 phase, 32A. Run 6 chargers.
Then you have 50kW and higher, fast DC. This is controlled by the vehicle BMS. The charger is in the outlet,  not on board the vehicle.
Edited 2024-02-16 14:48 by Trev
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:51am 16 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

From Ogmore, stopped off at Waverley Creek rest area. Quick calculation I figured I would be pushing the boundaries on the battery pack in EV Hilux to Mackay (I did charge to full at Ogmote). T-Rev was still looking ok for power. So I plugged in to the wall outlet for a couple of kWh.

Then stopped at Carmila to check. One side was working. That's Type 2, 3ph, 32A. Plugged in T-Rev and jumper to EV Hilux.

Normally we would charge to full at Carmila and then drive home, Kuttabul. But considering the time, it would be quicker to charge in Mackay with 2 outlets. Calculate again, I figured if I got another 3kWh in EV Hilux, it would be better. Range is affected by the rain, water on the road adds a lot of rolling resistance. That means it uses more power. It rained all the way from Ogmore.

Arrived at Mackay charge station with 34kWh used on the screen. Thats just a couple spare from what I have done before.

Add another 6kWh to EV Hilux and that should be enough to drive home.

T-Rev has picked up enough already and Dale and Kaitlyn have headed off to home. A few more minutes and EV Hilux will have a enough too.

Drive all the way from Sydney without using the genny's.
Edited 2024-02-16 21:08 by Trev
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 01:39am 18 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Arrived home at 10pm.

T-Rev drove total of 4075km

EV Hilux drove total of 4097km

Total paid for electricity on the way down to Sydney, $114.58

Total paid for electricity on the return trip, $83.86

I can't separate how much each vehicle used, because most charge stations we had the jumper cable connecting both vehicles.

Dale drove his Hilux 4365km. His petrol cost was $1414.68
Trev @ drivebynature.com

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 06:47am 18 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Did you keep a record of the percentage of changers that were functional?

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:04pm 18 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No not really. I think I said all the charger outlets that we did get power from and I did make mention of some that didn't work but not all of them.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024