Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:38 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : My first public chargers experiences.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:14am 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the first 2 years of owning my MG ZV EV I only every charged at home. The MG has a range of slightly over 200km and that covered all our needs except trips to the tip or Bunnings with the trailer or occasional long trips. The smelly machine is fired up for those occasions.

The trip with the MG was from home in Burnie to Launceston for it's first 2 yearly service. A distance of 160km each way.
The is a Evie charger at Westbury at the 110km mark so I decided to top up there.
My new rfid card didn't register - my fault, I mistyped the serial number in when setting things up. Even with the app, I couldn't get past "starting, please wait". The car knew it was plugged in and waiting for charge and the charger sat thinking for a couple of minutes then declared "charge finished - unplug".
I tried the second charger and the only improvement was the display was clear and not all fogged up. Still no joy getting it to start charging.

I gave up and went on the Launceston and the service centre.
That night after dinner, I went to a Chargefox site at the VW dealership with a Tritium Veefil 50kW DC Fast Charger. It worked first time and we sat and watched the news on the tablet for 30-35 minutes while it charged. At least I could sleep peacefully knowing I had enough to get home again.

We tried the Westbury Evie charge again on the way home next day but still no go. At least it now accepts the rfid card after I reentered the right serial number.

I wouldn't want to rely on the Evie network for charging and that will make any trip to Hobart "interesting"

I have no hope of convincing the wife to get rid of the petrol car any time soon.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 05:52am 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim great to hear of your experiences.
We live East of Launceston and have an MG ZS EV also.
Our place is off grid so we have not plugged into a public charger yet either.
We have a Chargefox card and app on the phone. I know that Launceston and Kings Meadows have chargers, plus Scottsdale.
I looked at a map of Westbury chargers and there are three options there.
I think one is at the IGA, ( I am guessing that is where you went)
One at the Meander Valley Council Chambers
And three phase and 15 amp outlets are available at the showgrounds.
Does the Evie network have a phone app to access their network?
Glad to hear that it all worked out for you.
Where is the Launceston VW charger ? is it available after hours?
Cheers
Pete

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 06:10am 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Evie has an app much the same as Chargefox. The rfid cards are much easier in my opinion and the Evie one was free, unlike the Chargefox $9.95

Jackson VW are in Wellington ST and the charger is on the side of their workshop building in Galvin St. Galvin ST is also where Buckby Motors are for servicing the MG. It appears to be available 24hrs and is on the Chargefox network.

The charger in Westbury is the one at the IGA and would have been great if it worked. There is a cafe there also so waiting is not so bad. That was the plan anyway.

There are plenty of slow-ish chargers between Burnie and Launceston and a new 50kW Chargefox in Devonport at the Motors car yard in Steele St. It is the run down to Hobart that needs much improvement.

Most of my travels are for medical appointments and I can't afford to miss them.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 06:18am 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim thanks for that information.
I had a look at the evie charger map, they don't seem to have many chargers but they do have one a Campbelltown. I have seen people charging there before, it can be busy though.
Chargefox have a lot more, but it depends on the range. Our car says it has about 230klm range. A lot less than the 320 klm range shown on the ad when we bought it.
Maybe they gave figures for a newer model with a bigger battery, our battery seems to be around 44kwh.
I get the not being able to miss appointments. They can be a problem in Tassie, where it takes a long time to get them.
How long have you had your car?
What sort of range do you get from it?
Cheers
Pete

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 06:47am 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have had the MG 2 years.
The wife was really keen on the Clipper blue (which was only available on the early years).
Launceston didn't have any and were not keen to help so I started checking all the MG yards on the mainland.
I got down to M for Mornington when I found one. The delivery was $450 and I had to do the rego myself but the price ended up slightly cheaper than the local was quoting.

Judging by your range, mine is the model/year before yours and the range was advertised as 250kM
That drops to 220 when you turn the AC or even just the fan on.
It drops again over winter.
It drops again on highway use so I work with ~200kM as a safe maximum.

Over the two years, the fully charged range has dropped by about 3-4kM so 1% per year. I am happy with that.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 06:58am 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim thanks for that.
I had a look on AEVA site and found this, maybe it will help both of us.
https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=8025
Pete

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:55pm 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete,
It does look like the ZS and possibly other EV's have a problem with the faster chargers. I would like to gather some more information before I raise it with MG but all the chargers around here are 50kW max so should work.

I also think any trips will be planned to use the 22kW AC and 24kW DC chargers. Slower but still not too bad.

I will have solar fitted here in a month or two so charging at home will be even more attractive.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Trev

Guru

Posted: 04:22am 16 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good on you fellows. Give it a go.

Yes, perfect application is charge at home and use for local driving. I charge mine from solar.

I do however, find myself doing the long trips to 'shows'. I don't blog them all either.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

pollenface

Posted: 01:58pm 21 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  I will have solar fitted here in a month or two so charging at home will be even more attractive.

Charging at home from solar is very satisfying  

I have also noticed ads for the Gen1 MG ZS incorrectly stating 320km range.
Edited 2024-02-22 00:04 by pollenface
Off grid man caver

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:49pm 21 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pollenface said  I have also noticed ads for the Gen1 MG ZS incorrectly stating 320km range.

320km (nominal) range was available in the UK but for some unknown reason, they didn't thing we would need that option here. So only the 250k version was offered.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 08:21pm 21 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim, I will put it down to false advertising then.
Like you the best I see is 250K on our range. When the battery is fully charged and equalised, we still have some regenerative braking going down the mountain, but not much. Range stays at 250k.
Suits us fine, we drive to Launceston, and plug in when we get home. Yesterday was very cloudy here but still our house batteries were full, so the car got some charging after going to town.
Cheers
Pete

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024