Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Active Topics
Local Time 15:02 27 Jul 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : ABC compares EV to Petrol

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:16pm 26 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ABC Australia compared the environmental cost of EVs to Petrol vehicles.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-27/comparing-electric-cars-and-petrol-cars/103746132

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 01:45am 27 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I saw that Jim. I haven't had any electric car haters harass me yet. But will definitely be ready with some answers if they do.
Of course the petrol figures worked out at 8.5 litres/100 klm are going to be light on with the explosion of giant stupid US style utes on the roads now.
So far we have only had to top our car up 3 times at public chargers, our car is charged at home off our stand alone solar.
I had a thought that if the world is heading towards another big war, which it seems to be then an ev charged at home off solar is a good option. If petrol dries up, we can still get to shops if they still exist.
Cheers
Pete

greybeard

Posted: 11:37am 27 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

But how will the supplies get to the shops?  
Just poking the bear, I understand your point.  
I think we should just get world leaders locked into a room with a couple of baseball bats, and just leave the room locked.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 04:34am 28 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Greybeard, I was thinking more of scavenging. You are probably right that if a big war happens and we don't have dinosaur fuel that transport will stop.
But then Diesel engines can run on a range of fuels.
I have always thought that if leaders of countries want to start wars then they should be the first ones to fight it.
My thinking is one arm tied behind their backs, trade punches until only one is standing.
Pete

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 05:01am 28 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Godoh said  
But then Diesel engines can run on a range of fuels.

Pete

Well, yes and no. 30 years ago I had a troopie with a 4l inline diesel engine. It happily ran on canola oil, which I used back then when diesel was dearer than canola oil.

But I would not dream about putting that stuff in the tank of my modern 3l diesel engine car. Must not upset the computer in there, doing it's DPF thing.

Wish I had an electric car, but none will tow my caravan long distances outback where there are no charging facilities.

pollenface

Posted: 10:17pm 06 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's a good article, I'll save that one for later

We bought the EV to replace a car that burned 15-17L/100km. It's charged at home either with grid (overnight) or grid tied solar during the day. I'm still working on my off-grid setup to be able to charge reliably from that and I do love the idea of being to make my own fuel.

I used to centrifuge waste motor oil with 50/50 diesel to make black diesel for my old mazda bravo, but I wouldn't dare do that with a common-rail.

We still own a turbo diesel 4x4 as a 2nd car (and towing/long distance). In the last 18 months we've put 34,000kms on the EV and about 7000kms on the diesel, when possible we use the EV.

My main reason for going for an EV was for simplicity and (hopefully) reliability, as long as the battery is charged and the tyres are pumped up, it's good to go
Edited 2024-06-07 08:29 by pollenface
Off grid man caver

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 08:29am 09 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mr Pollenface, just wondering what sort of charger and inverter you are planning to use for the off grid ev charging.
I use a pretty cheap variable output 15 amp charger at the moment. I find that 15 amps is about all I can safely pull from my home made charger. My charger is adjustable 6,8,10, 13 or 15 amp so I just adjust it to suit the weather that day.
It would be good to hear what your plans are.
Pete

pollenface

Posted: 12:09pm 07 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Godoh said  Hi Mr Pollenface, just wondering what sort of charger and inverter you are planning to use for the off grid ev charging.
I use a pretty cheap variable output 15 amp charger at the moment. I find that 15 amps is about all I can safely pull from my home made charger. My charger is adjustable 6,8,10, 13 or 15 amp so I just adjust it to suit the weather that day.
It would be good to hear what your plans are.
Pete

I have the same EV charger, just an adjustable ebay one, 6-15amp, it might have been about $240 from memory.

My inverter is a CNSwipower 48v 6000watter, I'm guessing it's ground-neutral bonded because I get no faults from the EV charger.
Edited 2024-07-07 22:10 by pollenface
Off grid man caver

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024