Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:06 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : My Tesla EV

Jaffasoft

Posted: 01:17am 03 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
I'm a novice at this and looking into converting my Mazda van into a EV! Am i MAD?
Not sure a Van would have to much wind drag.

I'm envisaging all kinds of ideas such as lots of room for a large battery bank to continue to ad battery power to, one large home made solar panel to span the roofs surface should get about 4 * 36 cell panels and design that so that when parked camped etc can lift it on a hinge to get more angle recharge sun in. And also maybe a wind turbine that i can rig up in camp where practical for an added amount of recharging.

The panels on the roof would get some charging while traveling to i guess and could have a couple of extra panels in the Van that get set up on the ground at various times. That could be six, seven *36 cell solar panels all up. often parked for a day or two three a week and just little drives around town so maybe 200-300 kay a long trip would be enough more the better!

Not going to happen over night but planning bits now, been looking at ordering solar cells and on the hunt for a Smartdrive. This forum has been a great help for learning things so well done to the maker. And don't be scared to invite me in so i wheel in and camp at your property for a week and we convert one of these things lol.

Am i Mad to think that it might be worth my while I'm happy with 90 kay an hr but 100 would be the norm. Am i pushing my luck to try and do this and what would be the difficulties in rigging up the EV Motor in a Van where it goes in under the passenger seat.

I realky know not much at all about this EV installing but not scared to tackle it and learn as i go. Just love the idea of going everything green.

What is a powerful motor name that's suitable and i suppose it gets into much more expense the more powerful it goes to which i'm trying to keep as low as possible?

Might have to rename the Van to Tesla once it all goes through. If it all goes through.

Go ahead Engineers make my Tesla EV. Edited by Jaffasoft 2010-11-04

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:01am 03 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jaffa the biggest problem is to get a motor at a reasonable price, I made one years ago using a electric motor out of a 5 tonne electric forklift so I suggest you snoop around the fork lift wreckers as a starting point you will need 20 kw motor to be useful on the road in a van. Make sure you get the controller with it.

Also it is no cheaper to make your own solar panels now as the material costs the same as you can buy a finished panel for.

I would suggest you look at a small hatch as a starter as a van has a lot of wind drag.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Jaffasoft

Posted: 05:40am 03 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Bob.

Got any links to where solar cells cheap as making solar cells. I was looking at about $200 for 108 cells to make three panels. Plus bit of wood and clear sheeting, wiring etc.

Folklift motors OK good tip. Not a great deal of them in this town but might get onto one in ebay or somewhere.

I spent $1000 on a new motor second hand in this thing could sell that and so spend about $2000 all up on an EV motor. How do old Folk motors go reconditioned?

shawn

Posted: 09:15am 03 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi jaffasoft my take on ev is go for it but it does run into some big money spent worth it ? possibly but one thing use a great car/ute/van to start with because you are going to have it a while to recoop your gold coins
This is of great interest to me but they do not travel far enough for me (yet)
I will go this way when they can go the distance this will take time how far did the first cars go?? I bet they were unreliable, and horses were far better transport.

Jaffasoft

Posted: 11:26am 03 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes i see what your saying Shawn, it's at a seesaw balancing point between being the time to justify the energy, savings and efficiency to change or hold off a little for the horse and cart (EV technology) to come down in price, i was nearly going to say improve but it's at a stage where lithium light weight batteries and solar technology that's is much more better that the common cells that are the norm now have already got to an advanced enough state.

I remember buying a first computer Windows 95 for $3,500 8MB now i can buy one that sits on my lap with 1024 MB at $600 and doesn't crash every other day and slow till the cows come home. Just need more mass production of these parts and they will come down. But thankfully the tides are turning.

Anther thing i like is that often a Vehicle that has no motor is ridden off as no good and can be sourced quiet cheap. So if the expense of a good EV motor system is bought i could change it over each time and the motor comes with me.

shawn

Posted: 09:30am 04 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anther thing i like is that often a Vehicle that has no motor is ridden off as no good and can be sourced quiet cheap. So if the expense of a good EV motor system is bought i could change it over each time and the motor comes with me.

Hate to be the bad guy here but in NZ we have heaps of red tape it keeps petrol heads from putting V8S in small cars, oversize fat tyres etc..etc .. mmmmm that actualy sounds fun almost sounded old then.
Anyway soon there will be heaps of old ev cars on the market and what petrol head that takes you for a warant of fitness would know that the car has a different electric motor or batteries, the only downside is time

Jaffasoft

Posted: 12:32pm 04 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Why is there hardly any Australian solar cells for sale on ebay? Sun drenched Country there should be heaps.

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:27am 06 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well I must say a Van is hardly a Tesla.
Tesla is so good because it is light weight, very aerodynamic & quite a few million $$ developing.

I suggest you do some reading around and learn some first.
http://www.evalbum.com/
http://www.engagingnature.com/
http://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/default.asp

You can also read my EV Hilux Conversion pages here in this forum.

I can't stress enough, Read what has been done already. Don't go in blind folded.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Jaffasoft

Posted: 09:39am 08 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I didn't know a Vehicle of such caliber was referred to as a Tesla i just put that as a jovial title.

I read the post about the Ute it's a beauty and my kind of Vehicle rough en ready. I have read it through closely actually i think their is not many pages in the project section i did not read. Very good inspiration, I've got a windmill to so l'l kind of fit in to the theme of this site.

Found an Aussie ebay seller with cells today and bought a kit for 108 A grade 4"x4" 1.8 Watt Solar Cells DIY Kit 65 watts. An 80 Watt soldering iron and scrounged around the local scrap metal yard today and grabbed about 60 mtrs of thick 19 wire core about 1cm thick in total copper wiring plastic coated wiring. Not sure if it's the right stuff for this but read somewhere about thicker is better and some aluminum angle which should hold panels sides together.

Turned up every old washing machine in site inspired by this site to try find a Smartdrive. But none yet. They got em wired on ebay for 99. I'd prefer to find one in the tip more satisfying.

I'm a bit bemused buy MPPT?? i know it's beneficial and i want to buy a good one but don't seem to be able to find one that will do Wind & Solar! Have these got to be bought separate? Though l'd prefer to buy Australian this is one I'm eying off so far but it doesn't have MPPT.

Looking at a few motors and researching and watching YouTube until my heads spinning i quiet like the Netgain Warp 9 because it seems that will not need a gear box so i guess that could be then sold.None MPPT.Edited by Jaffasoft 2010-11-09

Jaffasoft

Posted: 12:09pm 15 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Are these the type of SmartDrive motor suitable for converting as per this web sites instructions?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330495 553609

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:22pm 15 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jaffasoft.

You should probably have posted this question as a new message, try to keep this thread about EV's

Yes, that is a complete F&P Smartdrive. Price is OK, dont expect to pay too much more, depending on its condition and your location. Your in Australia I see, visit your local tip/recycling center on a regular basis and you will soon find a F&P Smartdrive for less than $20. Once I managed to get 3 units for $15 total.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Barry T Coles

Posted: 02:34am 16 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jaffasoft said   Why is there hardly any Australian solar cells for sale on ebay? Sun drenched Country there should be heaps.

Cos the sun's still shining
I need to learn from the mistakes of others.
I dont have the time to make them all myself.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024