Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:05 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : My electric lawnmower

grub

Posted: 08:03am 06 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No one has posted about this subject so far, so here is my electric lawnmower.
The motor was from an early Simpson (Delta 10, Simpson 14* to 277). It is wired to high speed.
I have found that it is a bit gutless power wise but will cut grass no problems. I have also found that 4 blades cuts better than 2 blades but one day I will make 6 blade machine to see how that cuts. It is not battery powered but uses a long lead so care must be taken not to cut it.
The blade disc is held by an adaptor shaft to fit on the motor shaft to the disc. It is of the length to make the blades the same position as when they were petrol driven.
I have converted 3 lawnmowers using these motors and I also converted one using a Maytag motor. The Maytag motor is a better, stronger motor than the Simpson motor.

The beauty of this conversion is that the mower runs when then power is there. It is quieter and less hassles than petrol.
The only problems I have had was a broken lead wire and if you try to cut too high grass you will stop the motor rotating and this could lead to overheating. The motors do have thermal overload protection built in on the start circuit, so if it does overheat and you stop the motor rotating then it won't start again until it cools off enough.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:33pm 06 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grub

Good one mate, but if you run over your power lead it could get a twinkle in your eye,

I have been getting some bits together to make a EV rider mower, I had a push mower with a 24 volt motor and it was a real success, but a bit heavy to push with three batteries..

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:19pm 06 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't see any real danger with the lead as you can buy electric mowers, i would suggest the use of a ECB (safety switch)

My neighbour has a electric mower that is a plastic piece of crap with limited height adjustment and it too uses a normal extension lead for the power supply.

Some years back i had an old mower that was hard to start and the pull cord broke, being lazy at the time and no new cord handy i resorted to sticking a large tek screw into the top end of the shaft and using the cordless drill for a starter motor,it worked a treat and no more bad language when starting the mower.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

SnowGhost

Posted: 11:20pm 06 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been thinking of the same thing, but instead of using a steel disk, using whipper snipper cord. I tested our electric hand held one against my gum boot, and I still have my foot attached. Can't do that with a steel disk/blade.

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 01:22am 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grub
We have several old petrol burners out in our Salvage Inventory that use a big dish plate for the blades but they use the triangle type blades like is used on a cycle hay mower!
It wouldn't be much problem to put 6 or 8 on a disk that big.
Those old mowers cut good.
We did handle several 110 volt electric push mowers years back and they were impressive for what they looked like other than the hassle of the extension cord.
I probably would wind up with a 4 ended cord with no connectors on two ends. ''
I might have to think on this some as the Mrs. doesn't like to start the old petrol mower any more and complains when the goats eat her flowers off. ''
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:55am 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi isaiah

You will have to put a muzzle on the goats, don't forget to post a circuit of the safety cord.

Bob
Foolin Around

grub

Posted: 08:53pm 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was in the local hardware store and noticed in the electrical department that you can get ecb plugs to replace a normal power plug. I will have to fit one of these to the machine's cord. That should make it safer for the accidental mowing of the power extension cord.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024