Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:02 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : LifePo4 battery

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:23am 02 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pretty much directed at Trev but if anyone else has any input im all ears.

-I have identified a HUGE market for 12V or 24V 40-120AH batteries for the Aussie 4x4 market, looks like no one has a product out there right now but the potential is massive.
given the AUD currently at ripper rate and Thundersky batts at an all time low $/AH.

perhaps now is the time to get on and start making a few.
Simple criteria
-should be able to work as jump starter
and charge off a std 80-120W folding solar panel and run a 40L engel type fridge for a couple of days with no sun

what do you reckon it would cost?
around the $800-1000 mark I reckon they'd go out the door as fast as I could make em.

also if we could do the dual battery type thing as an all in one (like the thumper)
then even better.

Given the LifePo4 is good for almost 100%DOD vs 50% for a lead acid perhaps could even get away with 40AH and 80W PV with MPP tracker.

Edited by KarlJ 2011-01-03
Luck favours the well prepared

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:56am 12 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Karl,
I'm not sure exactly what you want here.

40ah Thundersky batteries may be too small for use as a starter battery. I use a Thundersky 90ah x 12v to start my mower and it would have no problem starting a car. You can check the manufacturers specs here, http://www.thunder-sky.com/products_en.asp

Charging from a solar panel is no problem. I use 4 x 80W panels on my camper. The battery is Thundersky 200ah x 12v. This setup runs my own made 12v 80 litre fridge for 4 days, maybe 5 days, without charging. I could use a 90ah but I put in the 200ah because I also run an inverter to a cook top for cooking.

An Engel 40 litre could run for 3 days on a Thundersky 90ah.
http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/cgi-bin/faq.cgi?&faq=8

I have used these batteries for running an electric fence. It is great.

Gordon has a set of 90ah on his house solar and some others have bought them for their house solar as well.

These batteries would make a great dual battery setup.

For pricing, check my website. It does fluctuate with the exchange rate.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 01:06am 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trev
That old mower start hard or something to need that big a battery?
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:20am 23 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lol
i've had to shelve the idea for the moment as battery is under the floor in the back of the car and LIfepo4 batt is tall, hence would need total re-engineering of the compartment which I'd do but at $5-600 bills and a perfectly good 1year old calcium battery in place tough to justify.

I lashed out and bought a 120W beaut camping panel with MPP regulator too, so i'll work on integrating the fridge and panel first.

Interestingly the V70 volvo draws ~30+A with the key on "ACC" so with the existing 85AH battery 55 mins and its toast.
going to a kids soccer match and listening to the radio is a huge no-no!

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:55pm 23 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KarlJ said  
Interestingly the V70 volvo draws ~30+A with the key on "ACC" so with the existing 85AH battery 55 mins and its toast.
going to a kids soccer match and listening to the radio is a huge no-no!

That does not look right to me. Does the Volvo still have the headlights on in ACC?
Klaus

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:03am 26 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

runs the following "loads"
ABS, EBD, airbag and ESC and Engine management computers
fires up the radio which has a separate amp (from the factory)
sporting 10 descrete channels.
powers up 1/2 the dash
cig lighters
courtesy lights (no parkers or headlights unless selected
heated seats (although not used in Perth)Climate control module dual zone yada yada yada.

All modern luxury cars have batterys now measuring in 100's of AH ratings.

Ford Had problems with the G6 falcon flattening the battery on short trips with 100A alternator

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:07pm 26 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that info Karl. As I have bought a new car recently - which has many of the features you mention - I will satisfy my curiosity and snap my clamp A meter to the battery earth lead to check what the current draw in 'ACC' is. The battery fitted does not look extra big for a 4WD, its a bit smaller than the one in the old Landcruiser was.
Klaus

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:20pm 27 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well Karl, I did the clamp on amp meter test today. With the key switched to 'ACC' (by that I mean accessories) the battery draw is 1.25Amps.

So, either your Volvo does something very strange or you confused the 'ACC' position with the 'ON' position.

I certainly would not enjoy a car that draws "30+ Amps" from the battery while just listening to the stereo, to each his own...
Klaus

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 01:55pm 27 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK so I measured it today and its not 30 if everything is off its just 5A
add the aircon blower fan 8A stereo 4A and its certainly getting up there.

We went to an outdoor concert and there was a bloke camped next to us with a new diesel cruiser, I mentioned my problem with leaving it on ACC with radio blaring.

"Not with this one mate its got two massive batteries" sure enough

two-three hours later the radio stopped and he was stuck.

So I'm certainly not aloneEdited by KarlJ 2011-03-29

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024