Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:21 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : EV ID

Trev

Guru

Posted: 07:45am 10 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Recently we were involved in Qld Fire & Rescue State Road Crash Challenge. Our task was to raise awareness of Converted Electric Vehicles and potential safety hazards posed to Rescue people. The camera was missed being taken, sorry no pictures. It was a great day.

It was raised on the day that there is no National Standard for identifying Converted Electric Vehicles. One fellow said to me that in a crash scene he would not know my Hilux was Electric Drive. He said it just looked like his Hilux at home in the garage. I pointed out the word Electric on the side. He said that he took that to mean that I was an electrician running an electrician business, and just advertising on the side.

It was suggested that there should be a National Standard, perhaps a green diamond with CEV on it. Vehicles with LPG used to have a red diamond with LPG on it.

Please write your opinions.
Should there be a National Standard?
If so, what should that National Standard look like?

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:45pm 10 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good idea.

I've been involved with speedway and drag racing in the past, and many of the vehicle classes had to have a battery kill switch mounted externally on the vehicle. In speedway it was usually a push to turn off switch mounted on the cow pan ( bottom of the windscreen ). One problem we had was a lump of dirt or rock from a car racing in front of you could hit the switch and stop your car mid race

Maybe electric street vehicles should have some sort of batter isolation switch that can be operated in an emergency. Maybe a break glass type of arrangement. It could be mounted internally, say on the back parcel tray, with a label outside the car pointing to the kill switch location.

Your best advise would come from someone involved in the faster drag racing classes. Their sport is highly regulated for safety, and they would have a lot of standards ( warning signs ) in place that the attending ambulance/fire fighters understand.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024