Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:23 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : AIR CAR

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:37pm 28 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This has been around before about 6 - 9 months ago.

I couldn't find anything on Snopes to contradict the report.

This would be a good dump load recipient with a suitable compressor, while I think the range quoted is optimistic but could be a good city runabout and air is lighter than batteries.

Bob

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

What is this?
Will it be the next big thing?
Tata Motors of India thinks so.
What will the Oil Companies do to stop it?

It is an auto engine that runs on air. That's right; air not gas or diesel or electric but just the air around us. Take a look.

Tata Motors of India has scheduled the Air Car to hit Indian streets by August 2012

The Air Car, developed by ex-Formula One engineer Guy N. For Luxembourg-based MDI, uses compressed air to push its engine's pistons and make the car go.

The Air Car, called the "Mini CAT" could cost around 365,757 rupees in India or $8,177 US.

The Mini CAT which is a simple, light urban car, with a tubular chassis, a body of fiberglass that is glued not welded and powered by compressed air. A Microprocessor is used to control all electrical functions of the car. One tiny radio transmitter sends instructions to the lights, turn signals and every other electrical device on the car. Which are not many.

The temperature of the clean air expelled by the exhaust pipe is between 0-15 degrees below zero, which makes it suitable for use by the internal air conditioning system with no need for gases or loss of power.

There are no keys, just an access card which can be read by the car from your pocket. According to the designers, it costs less than 50 rupees per 100 KM, that's about a tenth the cost of a car running on gas. It's mileage is about double that of the most advanced electric car, a factor which makes it a perfect choice for city motorists. The car has a top speed of 105 KM per hour or 60 mph and would have a range of around 300 km or 185 miles between refuels. Refilling the car will take place at adapted gas stations with special air compressors. A fill up will only take two to three minutes and costs approximately 100 rupees and the car will be ready to go another 300 kilometers.

This car can also be filled at home with it's on board compressor. It will take 3-4 hours to refill the tank, but it can be done while you sleep.

Because there is no combustion engine, changing the 1 liter of vegetable oil is only necessary every 50,000 KM or 30,000 miles. Due to its simplicity, there is very little maintenance to be done on this car.

This Air Car almost sounds too good to be true. We'll see in August. 2012

Foolin Around

grub

Posted: 08:36pm 01 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think I read about this car a couple of years ago. The air tanks are composite plastic/carbon fibre and are filled to an incredible pressure. If the air tank is punctured, then the air escapes with a very loud noise but the tank doesn't explode like a metal air cylinder would explode. I think it was on "Towards Tomorrow" or some such program.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:18pm 01 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grub

It sounds like a good Idea, as it always worried me about sitting on a air bomb. If it works out and they get into production I would be Interested in one for a run around powered by dump load on the solar and wind mills. I live in hope and expectation.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Oscar4u

Posted: 08:25am 16 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One wonders how big the air tank is. I would have thought a truck and trailer wouldnot last three hundred Km. If a pneumatic powertool produces say 1kw of power it usually empties the compressor tank in under a minute. How on earth can you propell a car for three hours with bugger all air tanks. There has to be a hole in my figuring? Any ideas? Cheers

Oscar
Oscar4u - for all your rotary cowshed repairs

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 09:32am 16 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Oscar

It uses extremely high pressure and a sophisticated motor, but I like you question the advertised range, it would be good if true but as the monkey said "that remains to be seen."

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024