Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:58 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : EV 2

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:38am 08 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For those just starting, this is page 2 of Electric Vehicle Conversion

Plenty more rain, we have had over 3 feet, ahh Bruce, now you got me. How many mm is that?? Pic attached of the creek between our place and the highway, approx 4 metres deep Bruce!!!!

That fan on the dash - I beat it. It now works.

Have run some wires for the guages that will be in the dash. The other guages that I ordered should be here in another week or so. The 2 x fuel guages (12v & 144v) have been fitted to the dash panel.

The rear storage box is fitted.

The rear lights also fitted and wired in. Still yet to cable tie them up. The lights are these new LED type that use very little power. Though not really significant in terms of the volume the main motor will take.

The megapulse units are strapped in for protection.

The tray is on. The hatch cover is still waiting for the rain & humidtiy to drop off, so it can be flowcoated.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 09:34am 15 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Only got the hatch flow coated and fitted this week.

Attempted to clear a backlog of customers work, and it keeps coming. Always a good thing though.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

makourain

Posted: 12:10pm 17 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

that is amazing stuff, i am so jealous.
iv always wanted to make an ev conversion.

how much did all of the parts cost you?

Trev

Guru

Posted: 02:02am 19 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All I know you have been waiting for this

Motor, FB1-4001, $3949

Power Control
Speed Controller, 1231C-8601, $2656
Contactor, SW-200, $323
Diode, MP-1, $6
Precharge Resister, 345258, $13
Emergency Push Button, ED252B, $280
Pot Box, PB-6, $171
Fuse(500A), SWE-FWH, $225
Fuse   Blocks, SWE-LSCR02, $81
Cable(50mm^2)& fittings & heat shrink, $423

Batteries
(Powersonic 226A/hr x 13), AGM, $6365

Charges
Zivan (144v,15A), NG3, $2495
CTEK (12v,25A), XS25000, $606

Vacuum Pump, 107CDC20/12, $438

Guages                           
    Fuel (144v), 900R, $202
Fuel (12v), 900R, $202
Volt (0-200v), TV1DVV200, $242*
Volt(0-15v), TV1DVV015, $242*
Amp(200A), TV1DAA200, $234*
Shunt(200A), 06715, $126
Amp(500A), TV1DAA500, $234*
Shunt(500A), 06508, $196*
Wire & Fittings & heat Shrink, $50

*+ freight from USA
Prices are subject to change

This is the basic components to convert this Hilux 2000 to Electric. We have gone the full hog, sparing nothing, biggest motor, biggest speed controller with the highest voltage possible, seeking highest possible Hp. The batteries are big to give us a good range, expected to be at least 120km. We are installing all gauges to be able to do extensive research and testing. We have made the complete back, added LED lights and had to change the flasher unit to keep the correct blinker timing. We have added switches for various reasons.

Different vehicles may use a different motor and speed controller. Smaller are cheaper. Gauges are optional. The volt and amp guages are very small to fit into our dash. Other gauges are possibly cheaper. There is a range of different types of batteries, with cycle life & price variation. The range and power you want helps in determining battery size and quantity. Lower operating voltage means less Hp. Smaller A/hr capacity, means less range, and less lead, and less weight. Smaller lighter vehicles may not need the vacuum pump (or earlier with no Brake booster). There are a lot of cheaper 12v chargers.

The options are many. You choose. What do you want to do with an electric vehicle??
Remember, cheaper is not always cheaper. Buy Quality. Go for what you want. Don't settle for 2nd best.
If it looks like junk before you start, the chances are it will look like junk when you have finished.

Put yourself in the picture. Now you have seen it done, you can do it yourself. I'm happy to help with the tough stuff, (or the whole lot if you want). I know you will be proud of it.
Email for info to suit your specific vehicle. tmdr@aapt.net.au Edited by Trev 2007-02-20
Trev @ drivebynature.com

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 11:46am 19 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tev
I knew that cost you abit nothing is cheap these days however in older days might be cheaper if we don.t have little johnny's GTS or hidden tax , or we use able manufacter most electonic items however not anymore most stuff come overseas Any Aussie politician don,t want to know simple they don.t have any manufacture skill there are not one of any MP have been invlove in Australian Manufactere themself most are lawyer,accountt,very good english speaking, writing that all they need of course someone off the street can enter the politics dept and most are revenue come from export our dirty coal . however Tev I think you will be the first True blue Aussie built the first Electric Vehicle in Australia without any government support Well done ian

Dwyer the bushman

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:32am 01 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I really thought I would have had the volt & amp gauges by now, but they still have not showed up. The dash is basically all that needs to be done so I can go for the modification plate.

Also the big 500amp fuse. When I re-run cable to the 500 amp shunt, then this fuse will also be incorporated.

Still chasing info on motors for the Air-con & Power Steering.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

petanque don

Posted: 04:06am 16 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting project and I suppose the real issue is.

How does it go fast or slow?

On the costing there seems to be no mention of labour?

Also what is a reasonable battery life?

If you got 500 cycles of 125 Km from the batteries wouldn’t there be a cost of about $10.00/100Km for battery replacement?

Like any thing I suppose it is impossible to estimate how long it will take to wear out until it does wear out.

Personally I would love to have an electric car but they seem expensive compared to the mass produced conventional cars.

How expensive mass produced electric cars would be could be an interesting exercise.

Some people would argue that the true cost of conventional cars is a lot more than the running costs if you consider global warming.

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:38am 24 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,all
to answer patanque don.

Top speed is over the 100km/hr speed limit. Not sure how far it will go. I have driven it at the 100km/hr though.

Costing-no labour?? Thats correct I have purposfully left this out, because
1) this is the first, and I am learning the pitfalls.
2) of the many different vehicles
3) it depends on the extent to the conversion.(just the basics or with all the extra's)
4) customers may want to do as much of the conversion as possible for themselves.

I think from memory, the ADC motor Australian Importer has done 5 yrs on 1 set of Trojan wet cell batteries. His son has done 8yrs so far with Optima AGM batteries and they are still going strong. (George if I am wrong please correct me, or if there is more to add to this please email me). Yes your calculation for $10/125km sounds fair for battery replacement - if we only get 500 cycles.

Talking now of general cost comparison between petrol/deisel cars vs electric. You have to factor in repairs/replacement of parts such as,
1) oil changes, oil filters
2) fuel filters
3) air filters
4) radiator & hoses, corosion inhibiter.
5) exhaust, mufflers, catylic converters
6) engine tuneups, -spark plugs, leads
7) Service personell charges.
8) AS WELL AS THE FUEL - now high cost

With electric
1) Battery replacement.
2) Brushes in the motor. (The ADC motor importer has been driving electric for 15 yrs now and has not replaced the brushes!!)
3) Electricity purchased from the grid, off peak, works out around $1/100km. Go wind and solar - How much then??
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:01pm 24 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There has been a bit happening at times.

We had an afternoon with family and friends trying on different wheels.

Also pictured here is the Tray weight(- the hatch)32kg. And the 500amp fuse yet to be fitted.

Gauges have arrived, very good quality too. The dash has been cut to fit the gauges in. These will be fitted and wired in when other important bits are done (see below).

Tested the amp draw of an air conditioning pump clutch, 2.8 amps at 12v.

Tried several motors on the air conditioner and power steering pump. The only one that could give some decent amp draw readings was the modified starter motor. The linkage from the solenoid was disconnected and wiring not used. I rewired the brushes to make it spin the right direction. The end was cut off to expose the end of the shaft. Made adaptors to connect to the pump’s.

Connected to the air conditioner pump the amp draw (12v) was 200 amps.
Connected to the power steering pump the amp draw (12v) was 110 amps.

The quest for sourcing motors for these pumps still continues. Although I am now thinking I may not use the power steering. There is a commercial made power steering pump available for vehicles that do really require power steering. We can steer the vehicle without too much hassle.

Have discovered a weight problem in the front, and currently modifying the rear box under the tray to carry the two batteries that finished making up the 144v system. With 126kg of lead shifted to the back, this makes the steering even better. With this change, also comes other changes that go with it. New mountings & cabling etc.

We have also been thinking of how we are going to make this vehicle stand out among the rest, and advertise on the vehicle. Any ideas, anyone???

Trev @ drivebynature.com

petanque don

Posted: 06:42am 27 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It seems interesting I must admit the cost of the parts seemed high clearly if you are going for the deluxe conversion this is different to the economy conversion having an electric bike the potential for electric transport seems good if the reva was available in Australia I would have bought one.

Clearly it is only a mater of time until electric cars become more common even the Chinese make them

Flybo

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 03 Apr 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
Some pics of modifying the rear storage box to fit the big batteries that used to be in the front. Batteries are now fitted and the necessary rewire is complete.

Amp shunts and 500amp fuse is fitted. The speed controller and the two chargers are re-mounted differently too. Gauges fitted but dash not completely back together yet....tommorow. Pics on these next time.

Edited by Trev 2007-04-04
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:17am 04 Apr 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pics of the new mounting for the speed controller, also showing the 500 A fuse and the amp shunts. Only one short cable could not be reused in the new configuration, an extra cable had to be made and one had to be lengthened.

The 12v charger is re-mounted on the right hand mud guard. The 144v charger can be seen in the previous post, in the rear storage box. The 12v battery has been downsized for now and left in the same place the larger 12v battery was. We plan to change this later to 2 x 120 a/hr in the rear storage box and none in the front. So then the 12v charger will also be shifted to the rear storage box.

The dash is all back together now.

Next is the modification engineers plate.....

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Hugh

Posted: 06:15pm 09 Apr 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I dont know if anyone else has said this or not, and if not its about time someone did.

The steering wheel, its on the wrong side.
Well there, thats out of the way. beautifull work, love the posts
Hugh

thnxs allways

Highlander

Posted: 10:49am 10 Apr 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Trev, very impressive

When I saw you using the starter motors, I thought of a different application, but how do they go being run continuously? They are only meant to be run for short bursts aren't they?
I've got a 4wd,atv and motorbike (all a bit noisy)but I wondered if I could make an electric bike with plenty of grunt, to get around the farm at night silently. With the night scope, I can sneak around and take out the introduced pest species, but covering 5-40km on foot makes it hard. I looked at elecric scooters but no way near enough grunt or clearence. Perhaps a modified mountain bike?
A completely different application, but as foxes and dogs run wild are a graziers worst nightmare a silent vehicle like this would be great.
PS the prop hub is still going strong.
Central Victorian highlands

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 11:32am 15 Apr 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tev
Few weeks ago l was looking for electric vehicle web site and you mention (last March 24/03/07) about (the ADC motor Australian Importer has done 5 yrs on 1 set of Trojan wet cell batteries. His son has done 8yrs so far with Optima AGM batteries and they are still going strong)so lot of your copy ideas that fitting to your Hilux 2000 to Electric   from same webs site that selling electric motors, batteries,etc and all the information they have ?
Are you member with Australian Electric Vehicle Association ?? and l do find this webs are very intersting and worthwhile to have alook .

Dwyer the bushman

Steve9R

Posted: 06:56am 16 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Excellent project.. V.Jealous

You've obviously looked at a lot of other Aussie EV conversions ? what about :

http://www.electric-echo.com/

. Edited by Steve9R 2007-06-17

RonS

Posted: 03:40am 08 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

An excellently documented project !!! It was a joy to read. Congratulations on your success. You've got me all fired up, now, but the Social Director/ Comptroller General says that the kitchen cupboards have to get done first, damn it!
Avoid strong drink. It makes you shoot at tax collectors ...and miss.

dewper76

Posted: 12:15am 07 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You asked about how to let people know that the car is electric? I'm thinking about something like this but I'm not sure yet.
http://www.compliancesigns.com/ADE-3705.shtml?ref=champ

Duane
Duane-
Converting 89 Acura Integra

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024