Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:21 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Cars for Kids

Trev

Guru

Posted: 01:41am 20 May 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A great day.
Big kids and little kids have fun with their cars.

Big kids, real cars.
Little kids, tappet cover cars. And they race them down a slope.

My young boy had to have a car, Drive by Nature. He wanted solar panels and batteries and wind generators on it. I talked him out of it. This was a gravity car. Dale and I worked together to build this car. We used hard drives out of a computer for wheels. Discovered the smallest F&P Motor.

And Dale raced it today. He didn't win, but did very well. And my car......just on show.

Here are some pictures of the tappet cover cars racing. There were way more tappet cover cars than I took pictures of. This is just a snapshot.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:21am 20 May 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How cool is that

That would have been a fun day for the kids and dads!

Using the hard drive bearings and platters is a good idea Trev, very low friction.

Did you give it a wheel alignment before race day, wouldn't want any toe-in.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:10am 21 May 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The tappet cover we used had straight sides. I never measured the width at either end, just assumed the sides were parallel. It did run well, stright too. The track length was 4 sheets of ply, 2400mm, so 9600mm or 9.6m long.

The last picture, showes the car that just beat Dale's "Drive by Nature". The black line is the finish line. So close.

Lots of fun.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024