Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:08 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : extended range electric vehicle

tomqu7

Posted: 05:26pm 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

some times I drive 300 km to and 300 km back
i need van space so I propose to take out front seat
removes lpg tank in spare tyre placeunder rear
remove petrol tank
and replace with batterys
??? batterys and range ????

inn the usa they are able to extend range by towing a very small trailer with a generator and they have units that can be charged relatively fast from any port
???? size of generator ? could I put my work generator on a small,2 wheel trailer
the american reads the renew magazine from the ata alternative enrgy association
I am just going to subscribe

praxidice

Posted: 07:51pm 17 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

tomqu7 said   some times I drive 300 km to and 300 km back
i need van space

In a perfect world I'd like the same thing. Trouble is that all conversions I've looked at are pretty costly for what they are. Likewise all presently available 'off the showroom floor' EVs are well overpriced, particularly in Australia. Ross Blade did some very nice Hyundai Gets conversions, but how can one possibly justify $50,000 for a Getz !!! My guess is the batteries you'd need for 300k EV range would probably cost $30,000 given the weight / aerodynamics of Hiace style vans. then there is the usable life of the things to consider although there are conflicting reports. That Hilux belong Trevor in Mackay apparently wore out the batteries in 80,000k, however a number of cabbies have advised that Prius batteries are lasting more than 800,000k (which must involve an impossible number of charge / discharge cycles). Could it be that the Hilux ones were run down a lot more than bog-standard Prius ones ??

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024