Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:09 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : EV conversion

praxidice

Posted: 12:18pm 18 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been wanting an EV for years however I've yet to find a solution that fills my needs. 200k range is essential, I have PV power to burn but spending a few hours recharging in the middle of a trip doesn't excite me much. I did drive a Renault Fluence ZE & a Nissan Leaf at an RACV 'Green Drive' event on the Gold Coast some time back. The Fluence was quite impressive and I'd have one of those if only Renault would part with one of the five they have stashed away in Melbourne since the demise of Better Place (no they won't sell the things & they won't support me bringing in a Kangoo ZE). I couldn't abide the pig-ugly Leaf & the MiEV doesn't have sufficient range. Ok, so what other options are there ... presently looking at a plugin Prius conversion mit lithium batteries, that would cost under $30,000 total for maybe 200k EV range. Then there is the rather funny looking three wheel thing coming from that bush aircraft mob in Ballina, they claim 200k EV range & its got an AC motor, but a converted Prius looks like a more useful thing for the same money. Apparently BMW has the E1 coming in 2014 but at $80,000 for something that looks like it was designed by Ssangyong, its not high on my shopping list. There is supposed to be an Mercedes A class EV coming sometime too, I'd have one of those if the price was halfway sensible. At present however, it looks like the Prius is the best option.

powerednut

Posted: 02:03am 14 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

have you got any more info on the funny looking 3 wheel thing? I havn't heard of it and I couldn't find anything on it with a quick google.

praxidice

Posted: 07:08pm 17 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

powerednut said   have you got any more info on the funny looking 3 wheel thing? I havn't heard of it and I couldn't find anything on it with a quick google.

Its a product of the Lightwing Aircraft mob in Ballina http://www.lightwing.com.au/ listed under 'Current Projects' on the aforementioned webpage, alternatively the direct link is http://www.road-e.com.au/

For what its worth, there is a flying version in the pipeline albeit not quite a Terrafugia. The flying road-e requires the battery to be removed and another motor / pusher prop to be mounted before it is capable of getting off the ground. No details about performance as yet but its not likely to win any awards.

Personally I don't see the $30,000 battery-electric trike as value for money but others might. I understand the latest version does have an AC motor rather than the DC one suggested on the webpage.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024