Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:49 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Tesla Drivetrain

Eugeneo

Posted: 08:07pm 13 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trying to find the motor and gearbox (don't need the controller) from a salvaged Tesla. Thinking of dropping it into an S2000. What do you guys think? Good or bad idea?

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 05:26am 18 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Probably the only way you will find a salvaged Tesla is if you find a good one and "accidentally" reverse into one with your own car.

http://www.evalbum.com/ you might get some ideas from here on the variety of builds around. Personally I love the mid sixties early seventies compact 4 door cars

Financially any custom car build is normally a money pit unless you buy a 3/4 complete project for a song.

Whats the reason for wanting to do an EV build?
I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

Eugeneo

Posted: 08:54am 18 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yahoo2 said   Probably the only way you will find a salvaged Tesla is if you find a good one and "accidentally" reverse into one with your own car.

Lol. That would be one way. It really is hard to source a motor. You would think it's just a induction motor with a copper rotor. But I think this is still relatively new technology.

I've been doing some 1200V SiC mosfet power supply designs and it would be nice to use the things learned to make a controller. Thinking it would be more or less using 3 of the H-bridge configurations. I'm interested to see the inductive / torque / timing response to such a high power applications. Plus car junkie heaven - it would be fun to tune/trim the 1/4 mile times.

Edited by Eugeneo 2015-04-19

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:36pm 18 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If its your first EV build, I would stick with a conventional set up. You can buy off the shelf engine/controller kits, and there are some pretty wicked power options that would leave the old petrol motor for dead. The trusted old series DC motor is reliable and easy to get up and going.

You still need to fabricate battery bays, instrument displays, etc. But at least you have a power train that's easy to work with.

Then at a later date, look into other engine options. EV Motors and controllers hold their value well, so you could get a good return on your old motor if you put in something more exotic.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 02:37am 19 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OR you could think of a project that needs a industrial induction motor.

3ph motors here can sometimes be had for almost no money because there are so few premises that can be wired for 415V power. I dont know what it is like in canada but in Oz you can save a fortune on used equipment if you can run 3phase.

I would love to buy a decent sized press brake myself, there are no VFD's that will handle that sized motor, so I am stuck with installing a rotary converter.

Being able to vary the speed and not lose a lot of torque in the process would be an absolute godsend for all sorts of machines.

Eugeneo

Posted: 04:27pm 29 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   If its your first EV build, I would stick with a conventional set up. You can buy off the shelf engine/controller kits, and there are some pretty wicked power options that would leave the old petrol motor for dead. The trusted old series DC motor is reliable and easy to get up and going.

You still need to fabricate battery bays, instrument displays, etc. But at least you have a power train that's easy to work with.

Then at a later date, look into other engine options. EV Motors and controllers hold their value well, so you could get a good return on your old motor if you put in something more exotic.

Glenn

I started looking into a Warp 11 DC series wound motor but unfortunately to do regenerative braking, you would somehow need to retard the timing on the brushes through mechanical means.

Your advise is sound though. By the time I get the controller finished, my knees may not be able to carry the controller to the car.

Eugeneo

Posted: 04:40pm 29 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yahoo2 said   OR you could think of a project that needs a industrial induction motor.

3ph motors here can sometimes be had for almost no money because there are so few premises that can be wired for 415V power. I dont know what it is like in canada but in Oz you can save a fortune on used equipment if you can run 3phase.

I would love to buy a decent sized press brake myself, there are no VFD's that will handle that sized motor, so I am stuck with installing a rotary converter.

Being able to vary the speed and not lose a lot of torque in the process would be an absolute godsend for all sorts of machines.

Yup, picked up a 3hp 3phase motor a while back for $60. It's MASSIVE and only produces 3hp continuous. What would that work out to if you over HZ and over Volt it? Maybe 15 Hp for a short time.

What kind of Hp do you need for your press brake?

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 08:23pm 29 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

there was one sold at an auction I was at the other day, if I was cashed up I would have bid on it, that was 7.5kw/10hp. They only load up for a second or so at the bottom of the stroke its a pretty low duty cycle, so who knows what the peak power is when the relief valve releases under full load.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024