Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:05 16 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Holden Volt - being killed??

domwild
Guru

Posted: 12:46am 29 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
Most of you may have seen the film "Who killed the electric car?", where GM really had no interest in selling this car and where Mel Gibson had to answer all sorts of personal questions before he could lease one. GM dealers did not even get notified that this vehicle was for sale. Once the lease was up, lessees who wanted to hang onto this vehicle thru purchase were given the "finger" and the vehicles were all scrapped.

Now consider this: There is/was ONE Holden Volt in OZ, namely in Perth of all places. A friend from Melbourne wanted to buy it, I had to look at compliance plate (Build 2013 - the pink slip said 2014 - illegal), test drive it, beaut, 4,400 km, 60 km on a fully-charged batt, paper says 80 km, 365 km on 3/4 tank, hybrid with 1.4l petrol, four seater, cost $41,000, friend had negotiated the price down, cost to transport it to MEL $1,000.

Could not get the batt replacement costs from dealer; would have interested me as this cost is not often mentioned whenever they speak of electric cars in the papers. One can buy an extended seven year warranty and I must assume the batts last that long. Perhaps Dr Google has an answer, estimate is $7,000. If that figure is correct, then without interest calc. the cost/year of batts is $1,000/year.

Dealer told me that five minutes after my test drive it was sold and they are trying to get him a new one??? After I uttered the phrase "pulling a swifty" the dealer decided to "no longer work with me", I wonder why?

Question: Is GM/Holden really interested in selling the Volt or is this single vehicle in Oz just there to judge consumer interest before they set up a maintenance department/train staff, etc.?? Is GM up to its old tricks again? What is going on here? Let me know!

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

domwild
Guru

Posted: 01:15pm 31 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is probably a wise move not to contribute here to this topic and to unnecessarily fill up the hard disks on Glenn's forum as this discussion has raged on on the Whirlpool forum for over 35 pages and my identical post to this one was discontinued there by the moderator with a link to those 35 pages! Forgot to search there for the topic in their automotive section.

If I remember some of the comments correctly, the GM Volt's production has been discontinued, etc. I may have shot off my mouth too early based on GM's reputation! For a further discussion of electric cars, including Tesla's new tricks, like a cheaper "power block" of storage batteries, look at "Silicon Chip".
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:29pm 31 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats OK Dom, HD space isn't a issue, feel free to discuss the demise of the EV.

While fuel is cheap ( and it is ), EV's will struggle to get a foot hold. From a manufacturing point of view, EV cars need much less maintenance and spare parts than a fueled car, and this means less income for the vehicle manufacturers.

I do think the aftermarket EV conversions and parts as a industry that's just waiting to take off, but not with current fuel prices.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Georgen
Guru

Posted: 12:36pm 10 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Probably should not write it here, but noticed quite a few "mobility scooters" with all sorts of not 100% able persons in and around shopping centres.

Some look delicate and battery pack hardly noticeable, suppose this type is to get from car in the car park to shops and back only.

More beefy ones can travel for quite a few miles on roads.

Interesting if there are car conversions available, similar to push bike conversions.

To get me interested there must be longer lasting battery that doesn't cost much and I know I am asking too much.
George

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024