Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:12 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : F & P Generator to drive F & P Motor

andonambo

Posted: 03:51pm 29 Aug 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all and pleased to see that there are many other nut cases out there.

After seeing many references to the washing machine motor being used for interesting projects I thought it might be suitable for what I had in mind.

Because of a mechanical power transmission (gearbox, shaft & chains) arrangement for a trike I would like to build is not going to be possible I thought a generator powered by a small petrol engine connected to an electric motor to drive the wheels would solve space and arrangement difficulties.

I have seen articles about making generators and Motors using the F & P parts but have not seen anything where these are used together (generator driving motor). Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a small knowledge of electrical operations, usually fine with mechanical concepts.

I connected 2 motors together with 3 wires for the 3 phases and just turned one by hand and the other just vibrated.

Do I need to rectify the output of the generator to DC? Hoping to not go through the whole process of making a generator and motor as shown on the internet and also hoping to just regulate speed using the petrol engine throttle.

Or am I just dreaming of a simple cheap solution.

Regards.

ryanm

Posted: 03:55pm 30 Aug 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hate to rain on your parade, but brushless motors just don't work like that. You'd have to rectify to DC then run a motor controller to run the F&P as a motor. On top of that you'd probably need at least a small battery in the DC part to keep it stable. Since you're going to be running at higher voltages to get enough power that battery is now a couple in series so isn't going to be cheap.

Once you set all that up you still have to custom fabricate a mechanical linkage between the F&P and the wheels. Since you have to do that you may as well just go straight from the motor shaft to the wheels.

If you go on ebay there are a thousand and one clutches which will bolt straight onto your motor shaft and have a chain sprocket on them. You only get one gear ratio, which is determined by the size of the sprockets you use. There are thousands of go-karts around Australia using this system.

I hope I don't sound like I've been drinking the hateraide, I wish you all the best in your project. I just think you'll hit a dead end going down that road.

andonambo

Posted: 10:46pm 30 Aug 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks

If it was a simple chain drive I would not even have considered the electric drive. I will need probably 3 X 90 Deg gearboxes as well as 2 chain drives and a drive shaft to cover the positioning of the motor that I had in mind.

I have 2 X 180 volt dc treadmill motors (brushed with permanent magnet stator). Would they be more suitable as the motor/s connected to the F&P generator being rectified to DC? Still need a chain or toothed belt drive to the wheel but I can live with that.

Sorry if these are silly questions and I appreciate your effort to set me straight.

The process of building the trike is more a proof of concept without spending too much. I very much doubt it will make it to the road due to the engineering hurdles with RMS.

But I would still like it to move without going up in smoke.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024