Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:22 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Electric Pushbike

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:17pm 23 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was sorting out some boxes of junk and I found these two photos.

I made this about 15 years ago. The two motors were from old Telecom Telix machines, about 100 watts each. They share a roller drive on the back wheel, the whole assembly held against the tire with a simple shock absorber made with a Datsun engine valve spring. Power was from a couple of motorbike batteries, 24v in total. The control was simple, basically two speeds with the batteries either in series or parallel to give 12 or 24 volts.
I remember it worked pretty good. I used the bike to go to the corner shop every evening, about a 2km round trip. The batteries needed charging every couple of weeks. Top speed was 20khm. The motors didn't have a lot of power, they could accelerate the bike from standstill, but hills were a no no. Puddles of water were a problem, the roller would slip and spray water up my back!
It was a fun project. I still have the bike, but the EV bits are long gone.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

wind-pirate

Posted: 04:49am 24 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can you give a bit more info on this project? Mainly on the controler and the drive. I Have 2 motors 100 watts 18vdc & 140 watts 24vdc.

Ron
THE Pirate.
stealing wind & solar energy is fun

sPuDd

Posted: 06:14am 25 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WOW I had a serious 90's flash back looking at that bike!

I remember trading in my old 'racer' for a mountain bike.
Was the new thing in those days, and survived the crappy
roads on my 20k round school trip each day.

Having said that, I have not used a bike since then.
I did consider an electric scooter like the kids have
now, but for my local shopping trips I think the EV van
will keep me better protected...

sPuDd..
It should work ...in theory

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:41am 25 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Ron, some details from memory.
The motors are mounted end to end, with one motor connected in reverse. The roller was made from a short lenght of 25mm aluminum rod, drilled to suit the motor shafts and grub screws fitted at each end to tighten onto the shafts. The whole motor assembly could be adjusted from side to side to center the roller, and tension against the wheel was also adjustable. More tension reduces the chance of slip, but increases current ( increased current equals less speed and less range ). The trick was to back off the tension till it was about to slip.
Control was a single DPDT switch, center position off. Sit down with a bit of paper and you can work out how to wire it up. Dont forget to add a fuse!

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

wind-pirate

Posted: 04:54am 26 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn

My wife wants one to run to town amd back (1 km) It looks like fun.

Ron
THE Pirate.

MyCattMaxx

Posted: 09:33am 26 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

wind-pirate said   Thanks Glenn

My wife wants one to run to town amd back (1 km) It looks like fun.

Ron

Have her foot it. She will benefit from the exercise...lol j/k. My ex could have used some exercise.
I walk around 5 miles a day.Edited by MyCattMaxx 2008-02-27

wind-pirate

Posted: 01:38am 29 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes we do lots of walking. I work construction all day
My wife walks every day. We live in a valley so we have lots of hills to walk.
Ron
THE Pirate.

petanque don

Posted: 11:55pm 03 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My electric bike is very good on the flat but struggles on hills.

If you live in a hilly area electric bike are probably of limited value.

Road traffic regulations limit the size of the motor to 200w.

Even without this restriction if you have a bigger motor you need bigger batteries so the benefit of a bigger motor on hills is not straightforward.

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:14am 06 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a book that has a lot of info from simple controllers to the very complex DC & AC controllers. If any one is interested I could get you a copy.

The most basic is a simple switch. My young boy Dale has an EV quad bike. One day his cousin switched it on and landed on his back. Ha!

The next best is tapping ganged batteries, like Glenn did, but requires reversing the batteries to even them up, &/or charging them seperately.

A set of large resisters can be connected in series and power be tapped off each, reducing one resister each switching, eventually reaching full power with no resister. The drawback is starting current is limited.

The next is getting into solid state, mosfets etc. Here I need the book, but some of the smart electrical minded people could work it out easily.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Gill

Posted: 10:59am 06 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trev,
I wouldn't mind a peek at your book. Thinking of buying one of the kits but a bit of DIY stuff might get the outlay even lower. If the forum email won't work, I'm gilljadams[at]hotmail[dot]com.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

wind-pirate

Posted: 08:47pm 06 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

petanque don

You should check into the laws again, We now can use up to "500 watts" 48 volts d.c. Same rules apply.(Canada)

We have a dealer here and we checked them out. They climb a 30 degree grade. that would take care of about 2/3's of our hills. The rest we would just walk beside the bike and use the bikes power to get it up the hill.

Ron
THE Pirate.

petanque don

Posted: 12:04am 07 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

500w would be a handy increase.

The technology seems to be improving some now come with lithium batteries.

I would be uncertain the typical policeman would have the faculties to test the output of the motor.

I will suggest that anybody that is observed doing over 60 Km /hour is likely to get queried.

I rode a 2Kw scooter once and the performance was surprising.

Feral

Posted: 04:59am 07 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The road traffic regulations that limit the size of the motor to 200w are only there for the purposes of registration, over 200W will require that the bike (vehicle) be registered displaying plates.
Then you are bound by all of the laws that apply to registered vehicles and you will be required to have a license or the Policeman with little or no faculties will be able to make a claim against you with his demand for the payment of money set out in the infringement notice (ticket) her serves you when he beleive you are in breach of the road rules or you need to be taught a lesson.

petanque don

Posted: 12:16am 08 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

And to register it will need to pass ADR.

As I understand this is not straightforward.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024