Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Active Topics
Local Time 04:24 17 Jun 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : 2 by 3.3 Volt Rails?

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 01:13am 23 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

Is this a completely incorrect scenario?

Using 3 of Geoff's Backpacks.

Still on breadboard at this stage and powered by a module with 5.0 & 3.3 Volt rails,
AMS1117 Regs, 800mA rated from memory.

Just looking for feedback before I rebuild it on some proto board.

The 5V rail feeds the backpack, powers the bus for the 5 DS18B20's & the 6 relays for pumps & motorised valves.

The 3.3V rail on the external module powers the RTC & an ESP-8266.

The Backpack's 3.3V reg only powers the MicroMite.

I'd rather not remove the backpack's MCP1700, but realise it's probably pushing it up hill to power the ESP's & RTC as well as the micro with it.

The negative rails are all common, but the two 3.3V rails V+'s remain separate.

Is this grossly incorrect & going to cause me headaches?

Thanks

Phil.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:33am 23 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So long as both 3v3 regulators are sourced from the same supply voltage, and have a common ground, there should not be a problem - essentially 3v3_1 and 3v3_2. Personally, I like to use a juicier 3v3 regulator and put EVERYTHING on the one regulator, but I can see why you want to do it that way.

I don't see their being any issue with multiple 3v3 regs if necessary, so long as they are all powered from the same supply voltage and are all ground-referenced to the same source supply.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 05:10am 23 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phil23 said  . . . The negative rails are all common, but the two 3.3V rails V+'s remain separate.

Is this grossly incorrect & going to cause me headaches?

The scenario you describe is fine.

You can have as many separate PSUs as you like powering different parts of the circuit as long as all are referenced (i.e. connected) to the same 0V (or GND, -ve if you prefer these 'names', . . . ).

IMHO it is good idea to have a 'dedicated' LDO powering the PIC, and another vReg drive more 'dirty' components (such as motors, relays, ESP modules).

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024