Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:06 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : New game to CMM: Gauntlet port

Page 6 of 6    
MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 01:55am 31 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just chaining the program isn't sufficient to get more RAM, then I used RUN command and force a clear after, with this, I got the maximum memory on each block but all variables are cleared too...

...Then I made a default.cfg file inside the CFG folder with the configurations selected on the first program, then the MAINGAME.BAS reads the file in the start. This is the cause for your reset when you run the program after crashed on empty level 7.

The demon flashes because I not fixed yet the collision algorithm.

I will make some improvements this weekend, and this includes enable some hidden tricks in some levels, time bonus on treasure room, potions, keyboard layout and maybe other things.

Meanwhile, I appreciate if anyone gives the feedback of this alpha 7.

As always, thanks to all for the support!

PS.: Ceptimus, the trick "Option USB Off" showed about 15% performance gain in the main game! Thanks a lot by the tip!
Edited 2019-08-31 11:57 by MauroXavier

ceptimus

Posted: 07:36am 31 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The latest version is working nicely.  

I've never played Gauntlet before, so I don't really know what I'm doing.

I got as far as level 5 and encountered an invisible wall block I could shoot through but not move through - it looked just like a normal floor block.  I guess that's a feature in the original game?

Then a little later on the same level I was shooting baddies down near the bottom left of the attached screen shot when I was teleported about 6 blocks up and half a block to the left and became stuck in the wall at the position you can see.  There's another block a bit higher that is also half way aligned.

Like I said, I've never played the game before so, as far as I know, this is all normal Gauntlet gameplay.  I'll have another go later.

A trick I used in my PTETRIS game to save some data while doing a Clear was to poke it to the video RAM, then Clear, and then peek at the video RAM to recover the data.  If it's not much data then it all happens so fast that you don't really see anything on screen.  Of course, you can do the same thing by writing to a file, clearing, and then reading back the file - but that is slower.

To peek and poke, you have to make sure the data is in byte form - this is easy for strings, but for floating point or big integers you can just put the data in a normal variable and then peek/poke the four bytes that make up the variable to save/restore.
Edited 2019-08-31 17:47 by ceptimus

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 03:04pm 31 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ceptimus,

I hadn't seen that happen so I loaded Gauntlet up and gave it a try:

It didn't take long, and in my case I was stuck there. LOL!

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 03:50pm 31 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

See the player stuck in the wall is new to me! I will try to reproduce here to see how to fix.

Ceptimus, the invisible wall will be a hidden exit, that appears when shot.

Use the VRAM is a very cool trick!. Maybe in the Gauntlet I guess can't use it in the first loading because can change some little pixels, but I will try it hide them. This tip will be very useful in the MStudio because I clear the memory many times and will be good to restore somethings, like cursor position on the last screen.

All of you are helping me a lot with your tests!

ceptimus

Posted: 04:32pm 31 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can see in the screenshot I posted that it's not just the tile that the player is on that is misaligned.  There appears to be a horizontal row of seven tiles that are not aligned with the other cells.  Maybe that is a clue to finding the bug?

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 05:52am 01 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's an odd one. After shooting the ghost generator, the bones got put under the treasure.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 01:11pm 01 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear Mauro,

Gauntlet is a success for my granddaughter. She easily got to understand the controls, and after a little explanation knew how to manoeuvre to the next level. And at level 4 she wondered where the ghosts where....

I told here it was not yet finished....that was a bummer....

See her in action....

Thanks for the game,

Volhout

P.S. it helped her a lot that she could not die...hihi..
P.P.S. technical feedback: I am not sure you can change this, but I noticed you need a key-up before a new key-down is accepted (at least that is what it feels like). if I run north (up key) and want to go east 1 block, then continue north again, you need to release the up key, before you can type left arrow, and then up for north again. Not sure if this can be fixed. May also depend on the keyboard (PS2). Ideally you can hold up key, shortly press left, to just move a little east and continue north.
Edited 2019-09-01 23:20 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

ceptimus

Posted: 01:46pm 01 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The key problem you describe is inherent in the way MMBasic works.  When more than one key is pressed at the same time, then both the KEYDOWN and INKEY$ functions only allow the program to 'see' the most recent key pressed:

press A - program can see that
keep A pressed and press B - program now sees B
release A while keeping B pressed - program still sees B

but...

press A - program sees that
keep A pressed and press B - program now sees B
release B while keeping A pressed - program now sees nothing

In my Manic Miner conversion I've added joystick control as well as keyboard - and it's a lot easier to play with the joystick because it's easy to keep 'jump' and a direction, say 'left'  both pressed together.  With the keyboard if you want to do a running jump and keep running after landing, you have to release the direction key and press it again mid-jump.

...of course most players won't have joysticks or game controllers attached to their Maximites.  

In a future release of MMBasic, it would be helpful to game writers if we could somehow get at the raw keyboard events coming from the PS2 keyboard.  There are separate KeyDown and KeyUp events there, and those make it possible to detect multiple keys pressed at the same time.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 08:23pm 01 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I followed this problem up by writing a program the would PEEK into the keyboard buffer and report which key was currently being pointed to by the buffer. It does exactly what Keydown does, so no help there.

As for putting ghosts on level four?, just for her. :)
Feeling hungry, or forgot your lockpicking set? ROOM01.MAP will help you out. :)

Be sure to keep your original maps safe, or just refresh them by extracting them from the zip file.

ROOMS 1 and 4.zip

And this is a 30 minute cut at reverse engineering the MAP files (too lazy to read the source)

That should say 'ƒ=Wall "stubs" *or* "islands"'. I included it as a jpg since there were control codes that might not have played nice with the forum. ;>
Edited 2019-09-02 06:37 by SimpleSafeName

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 09:31pm 01 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The treasure room doesn't have any enemy because is a bonus stage, which you must get all treasures as you can and reach the exit before time out. This was not implemented yet.

Volhout, you thrilled me with your picture! This is a scene that I'm don't expected to see and gives me, even more, strength to continue programming this port to the end. You can sure that I'm developing this with care to all types of players.

I will merge the map editor inside the game options when possible, and with this, your granddaughter can make changes or build new maps as she wishes. With this tool I intend to ask the community to help me to create all the NES levels, but before I must make some changes in the current editor to make it easier to use.

This weekend I worked a lot in the source code, and now I have some memory problems and I don't want to use any tool to program outside the CMM because, as I said before, I can't give up the "retro-feeling"...

The new rooms 8 an 9 was a huge impact on the performance of the game and this is not necessarily bad, now I have two rooms that permits me to test tricks and tips to reach a good performance profile.

Very soon I will upload this new version.

Thanks, everybody!

ceptimus

Posted: 09:52pm 01 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I also work only in CMM for editing.  I don't like moving back and forth between computers when debugging - it's quicker to do it all on the CMM.  I find the Ctrl-F method of the editor very useful - it inserts a file at the current cursor position.

It's good for doing big cut-and-paste operations when you want to move things around and the normal F4 buffer isn't large enough to hold all the stuff you want to move.

You save the program under a temporary name, then edit out  everything but the parts you want to move (the F4 capacity limit doesn't apply for just deleting) then save again.

Then back to the original program and use Ctrl-F to insert the previously saved part where you want it.  

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 11:14pm 01 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is another alpha version:
GAUNTLET_ALPHA_008.zip

In this version was implemented:
- Magic potion button (Press M)
- Magic potions and bottle of energy are now destructible
- Rotative scroll rooms (but is far away from the ideal and have some strange bugs!)
- Rooms 7 and 9 (8 is the same treasure room)

Improvements:
- Fixed bugs in the collisions with the player shot
- Fixed erratic blocks when opening doors
- Fixed the refresh screen
- Fixed the demon fire
- The enemies can now be somewhat more aggressive
- Changed some floor trap colours

Some not implemented things yet:
- Real treasure room (with time and bonus)
- Differences in the magic power of the players
- Differences in the magic power between shooting the potion or use it
- Warrior yet can fire through diagonal walls
- Configuration of keyboard layout
- Dead of the player
- Game over / continue

Have fun!

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 12:40am 02 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  The treasure room doesn't have any enemy because is a bonus stage, which you must get all treasures as you can and reach the exit before time out. This was not implemented yet.

I know that, you know that, but his granddaughter doesn't. :)

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 01:26am 02 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow! Alpha8 is looking great. A bit slow in high enemy areas, but shooting potions to kill death works, shooting food regrettably does as well. I didn't get a chance to kill death by using a potion, the game locked up after death disappeared.

And I like the expanded 9th level. I had to "feel" my way around since some times the maze would shift, but I would be invisible. Other times it would shift but I couldn't move. Finally I found a spot where there were two of me (!) and the left one moved.

Then death got me and took the game with him.

Excellent work! Thanks!

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 11:05am 02 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SimpleSafeName said  I know that, you know that, but his granddaughter doesn't. :)

Sure!

In any case, I believe that she will like to play in a real treasure room and will have fun when the map editor is completed. It will be very nice to have the opinion of a kid.

SimpleSafeName said  I didn't get a chance to kill death by using a potion, the game locked up after death disappeared.

What do you want to say about "the game locked up"? You got an error message or it's because you stuck in the "double vision"?

Thanks for your testing, soon as possible I will fix the expanded room because the NES maps have more these types.
Edited 2019-09-02 21:06 by MauroXavier

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 05:06pm 02 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  What do you want to say about "the game locked up"? You got an error message or it's because you stuck in the "double vision"?

Thanks for your testing, soon as possible I will fix the expanded room because the NES maps have more these types.

And she will be standing right next to the generators when she enters the treasure room. Nice... :)

The only keys that worked was the Control-C to quit the game. Everything else (including the ESC key) wouldn't respond.

And you're welcome of course!

Page 6 of 6    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024