Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:03 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : A talk with Linus Torvalds....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:41am 31 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As I am getting into Linux a bit more these days via the likes of Puppy and Mint, I have started researching the man who started it all.

There are many interviews, but this talk is a good one, with lots of excellent background information:

Linus Torvalds ALTO talk

Quite long(about an hour), but you can put it on and do what I did - clean up my messy workstation areas while listening to it!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 10:51pm 31 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No experience with Puppy, but Mint is my go-to distro. I've been using it since pre version 1 of the kernel (.92?).

Fun fact, Redhat used to have a "Redneck" language option for installation: https://imgur.com/gallery/yX5uw

It's come a long way. :)

tgerbic

Posted: 07:55am 01 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster,

A little off topic but since you brought up linux. I have answers waiting for the Samba and VM questions on the Windows 10 vs. Linux thread. Though it looks like I can reply to any other discussion, that one does not allow any further posts.

Did you get past your problems?

Regards

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:31am 02 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, that other thread seems to be locked - you can't reply to it. I expect that is just a glitch as admin(Gizmo) burns the midnight oil rewriting the forum code. He's doing an excellent job, and keeping the forums up and running while he does it is impressive. Hugs to Gizmo....

Anyway, I can get W10 to see any Samba shares on a linux box once they are setup, if I use the IP address and path to the share. That works, and has become my default way of doing it for now, until I can finish setting up my Linux box.

For example, if I look for the shares in W10 using Network Neighbourhood, it flatly REFUSES to show me ANY of them. If I map a network drive using the IP address and path - no problem, it pops up right away(in W10), and I have full access.

So, I would map a drive and in the FOLDER to map to, I would put something like: \192.168.1.xxxpuppybackupmntsda1, and it sees it right away, and everything is fine. However, try to find a computer called "puppybackup" by searching for computers in network neighbourhood, and W10 just flatly refuses to talk to it or even SEE it in the first place. Just comes back saying it can't find that computer.

I am hopeful I won't have to battle W10 much longer, as I have really taken a liking to MINT, and have installed most of my other software in the test machine just using Mint's own software manager, and everything is working fine, so what I will PROBABLY do, is take this machine I write this on now(it is one of those Intel NUC things), and swap the SSD for a new one, and do a clean-install of Mint. If I desperately need W10 back, I can swap the SSD's again. Once Mint is installed, I can plug in the W10 SSD via USB3 and copy any files across that I need.

Blah, blah, blah....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:34am 02 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Slashes not showing right in my post above. Path should read:

--192.168.1.xxx-puppybackup-mnt-sda1

I have replaced slashes with dashes just for now, as editing a post is not on-line yet.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:23am 02 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It looks like you need to use the c type escape sequences

to get
\\192.168.1.xxx\puppybackup\mnt\sda1

you need to use double back slashes for each one you want:

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:51am 02 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cool, thanks for that tip.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024