Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:28 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM game.  MANIC MINER.  (Work in progress)

ceptimus

Posted: 08:42am 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been working on a conversion of this classic 1983 game, originally for the ZX Spectrum, to the Colour Maximite. It's looking doable at the moment - the original game runs at about 77 milliseconds per frame, and right now in MMBasic the slowest room takes less than half that - and sits around waiting in a delay routine to get the speed right.

Here's the YouTube video: https://youtu.be/yEhipN9reYU

At the end of the video is the opening screen, complete with original Spectrum-style music, and the authentic wrong piano key layout with the 'correct' wrong notes being played!

Because the Maximite Mode 4 screen is only 240 pixels wide, and the ZX Spectrum is 256, I've trimmed 8 pixels off each side of the display.  This doesn't affect the game play because in the original game all the caverns have 8-pixel impenetrable walls up both sides (this is why I chose to convert MANIC MINER rather than JetSet Willy).

The narrower screen also means that I had to edit a couple of room names to fit (using the Spectrum font) and also changed "High Score" to "Hi Score" - I also need to tweak the remaining air indicator (not shown in this video) to account for the narrower width.

Other things still to do include the in-game tune, spare lives indicator, Eugene, and the solar rays in the Solar Power Generator room.

If all goes well, I should be able to release it later this month.

jman

Guru

Posted: 09:03am 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looking forward to the release nicely done

Regards
Jman

Decoy

Posted: 10:55am 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can't wait to play this! But I have to wait for my SD-reader to arrive.

But, I was always more of a Jumpman-guy :)

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 11:19am 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Outstanding port, almost identical, you worked in all details!

In the middle of game, if you wish, you can use alternated squared waves for music and sfx like the original 48k version. I think the volume is very low using triangle wave on PWM, of course the sound it's smoother and have two simultaneuos channels, but I like so much the squared form (resembles PC Speaker / ZX 48k). Would be cool if Geoff included squared waves with two simultaneous channels too, with this to emulate the sound of a VGM file of the SN76489 would be much easier.

Seen your Manic Miner openning I percepted that you really doesn't needed my PSGLib in your PTetris, you could put native music using the two channels of PWM with little tricks. You were very polite to me not telling me you could put the music on without having too much work showing that you are a very humble guy. I really appreciate that quality.

You are a experiented programmer too, I percepted it with your studie about the CMM colours and now when you talked about the 77 milliseconds per frame of Manic Miner.

It's curious that years after the release of CMM the community woke up to make new games... And I liked it a lot! With this I get excited to finish my games and develop some others.

I have to thank you a lot by your effort! (and other guys there that are showing your games too).
Edited 2019-08-16 02:35 by MauroXavier

ceptimus

Posted: 05:05pm 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the kind comments, guys!  

Decoy said  I have to wait for my SD-reader to arrive.

If you can solder, you can make a (micro) SD card reader using a spare micro SD card to SD card adapter.  Most of us have loads of those lying around as you seem to get one free with every SD card you buy now (because they are usually a micro SD card, plus an adapter).

I've attached some photos of mine. I probably went a bit over the top with the resistors - but I wanted to use it on a Parallax Propeller as well as the UBW32, and the Propeller guys recommended that circuit.  Anyway, it works fine on the UBW32 too.

Decoy

Posted: 05:35pm 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ceptimus, while that looks amazing :) I will wait a couple of days!

I just started another thread, regarding sprites that I hope you will read.

Thanks

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 05:57pm 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here in Brazil this is called GAMBIARRA, which means "do your best creating something useful with the materials you have at this time".

Decoy

Posted: 06:01pm 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  Here in Brazil this is called GAMBIARRA, which means "do your best creating something useful with the materials you have at this time".

I think that ceptimus would call it jerry-rigging :)

Say Mauro, I am really looking forward to your sprite editor!!

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 07:05pm 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your throw-inīs make me hungry ...
... Mmmmh nice Gambas and ice cold Sprites ...
https://www.rachaelraymag.com/.image/t_share/MTUxMjYxODIyMjYxOTI5ODA2/gambas-al-ajillo-1217-103197120.jpg
http://wallpapersdsc.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Sprite-Images.jpg

I am also looking forward to seeing the game, so far it looks really nice and already taking me back to the feelings of the 80īs!

Quote  But, I was always more of a Jumpman-guy :)

Do you mean the game?
-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc1stgFZrQ4
Andre ... such a GURU?

Decoy

Posted: 07:22pm 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, exactly! It is an awesome game. I play it on C64!

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 07:43pm 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Decoy, download the Gauntlet sources, run the Mstudio.bas file and you see the sprite (and map) editor, and obviously, write about your impressions with sincerity and give me some ideas if you want.

Decoy

Posted: 08:06pm 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  Decoy, download the Gauntlet sources, run the Mstudio.bas file and you see the sprite (and map) editor, and obviously, write about your impressions with sincerity and give me some ideas if you want.

I will do this, as soon as I get my SD card! Thanks!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024