Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:57 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Commander X16

Cyber

Posted: 06:45pm 04 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Emulator has been released for upcomming Commander X16 computer: github.com/commanderx16/x16-emulator/releases
Along with documentation: github.com/commanderx16/x16-docs

Commander X16 is a project by The 8-Bit Guy to create Commodore-like computer using modern off-the-shelf parts.

If you haven't heard about Commander X16 yet, please check out links:
www.CommanderX16.com (Official site -> Facebook)
Commander X16 FAQ (Facebook)
Commander X16 Features & Specs (Facebook)

Decoy

Posted: 07:34pm 04 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been waiting for ages for him to upload a Part II video to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayh0qebfD2g&t=20s

I wonder how long he has come with the hardware? I don't use Facebook.

Thanks
Edited 2019-09-05 05:37 by Decoy

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 03:26am 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I wonder how long he has come with the hardware? I don't use Facebook.

Me too, so I donīt know whatīs going on there as well!

Quote  I have been waiting for ages for him to upload a Part II video to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayh0qebfD2g&t=20s

Exactly the same, shall this "Commander X16" be the one?

Is this worth entering fXXXXing Facebook?

PS:
Just found some stuff about it:

https://murray2.com/forums/commander-x16.9/
Edited 2019-09-05 13:30 by Poppy
Andre ... such a GURU?

Cyber

Posted: 05:45am 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  https://murray2.com/forums/commander-x16.9/

Wow, didn't know about this site. Thanx!

Poppy said  Is this worth entering fXXXXing Facebook?

I entered Facebook under fake name just to read Commander X16 and similar groups.
I don't care about all Facebook related stuff like friends and stories, but I like following interesting project news like the ones about Commander X16.

I'm attaching Commander X16 documents here, which summarize current progress:
> Commander X16 FAQ.pdf
> Commander X16 Features and Specs.pdf

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 09:01am 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Is this worth entering fXXXXing Facebook?

This was not a rhetorical question ...

Quote  I entered Facebook under fake name just to read

Exactly, but is it worth the time to open a fake account?

Donīt we already have all current informations gotten parallely?

Itīs a pity that such interesting informations get wasted to fXXXbook!

But of course we should stay informed!

Ceterum censeo FB esse delendam!

Andre ... such a GURU?

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 11:47am 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can subscribe in the forum, and access directly the session about Commander X16:
https://murray2.com/forums/commander-x16.9

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 01:19pm 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah …. commander X16

I have very mixed feelings about this.

On one side it is nice that a 50+ year old 8bit-guy finds the energy and support to pull this off. That alone is worth all attention and respect.

On the other side, I have seen his previous introductions about the project, and if I recall correctly he wants to have a machine where he can enter nice hexadecimal codes to create commodore video modes .... yeah (that is what I remember).  
Feels like he is so into the retro stuff that he is not open to anything more modern anymore. (but then again, he did take a look at color maximite).

What he is creating is nostalgia (all of us do remember that time, and that was a GOOD time). Just how many of us 50+'ers would seriously consider going back to spend hours and hours on a slow (slower than a maximite) machine, without a decent editor, and try to discover all the implemented video modes by poking around with hexadecimal codes.

I think a C64 was great at the time, I really loved it …. probably in absence of something better. Don't plan to destroy these good memories.....
How many of you would purchase this X16 and have it connected at the desktop (not stuffed away in a cabinet)? We are definitely the focus group for this product.!
Not many I think, since it will be in the 300 US dollar + range. Buys you 6 color maximites.

But... I will follow this project, and hope I am wrong. Because he deserves success !

Volhout

P.S.
On the other hand, if you see the video an how he struggled to get 5000 copies of planet X3 out of the door, he may only be aiming at a 100 systems. That could be do-able... But writing your own kernel, doing all the FPGA development, board designs, mechanical designs for 100 units....

P.P.S.
You know what I really would have purchased on kickstarter (I was to late to sign in for one): the small laptop that ran mmbasic, had an experimenters area, build out of 6 PCB's. Don't recall the name, something like ELO or so.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 01:38pm 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You say it all, Volhout!  

I think the CMM could nearly have it all, no offence to Geoff and full respect to his efforts I never could have provided myself   , but it needs a little more specific development or targeting.

Actually even within its own small community the CMM just appears to me like a past stage intermediate to the Micromite.

In the world outside of this forum it has not really started being recognized yet.

Andre ... such a GURU?

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 01:46pm 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think that there is room for VERY retro things like the x16 as well as the modern/retro Maximite computers in various forms.

The Maximite is still a great thing. More will come.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 03:09pm 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For me the Colour Maximite it's more than capable to give me the "retro-feeling" with all whistles and bells, with a good editor, a Basic that doesn't need lines and other things that I enjoy a lot.

Ok, I'm waiting for better sprites implementations, CFunctions and others improvements of MMBasic 5, but I really can't charge Geoff about this, after all, he already created a wonderful machine that brings me such great happiness. I really love to develop my games on CMM.

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 03:25pm 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Maximite computers in various forms

Itīs amazing what came out of the initial idea as yet, but actually this variety destroys the Maximite for being a real Beginnerīs Computer, itīs fading away through this all overwhelming advancing stuff!

The MMBASIC-idea lost its or never had a real Flagship still sailing on and leaving Platoīs Cave!

The CMM could/should be particularly the one and has not reached itīs full greatness yet and I doubt it will!

Andre ... such a GURU?

Decoy

Posted: 03:58pm 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am curious about the Commander X16, but I think the MaxiMite is much better choice for me.

For one, the MMBasic editor and the speed you can do something at, is very impressive. It seems very agile - even though I would like slightly more sprite options and the like.

Second, the ability of the MaxiMite to be used as a microcontroller (which it is) is of paramount importance to me. I really like being able to code directly on the unit itself. I have some Pyboards, but I never got around to trying micropython before MaxiMite/MMBasic stole the thunder.

Maybe I am too impressed with the MaxiMite, many years after its inception - but I feel like it should be 'marketed' better to people like...us. The first thing I would have done, would be to remove the 2011-2018 on V4.5C and just have 2018. I am afraid that people get scared off by 2011.

Cyber

Posted: 06:29pm 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  
  Quote  I entered Facebook under fake name just to read

Exactly, but is it worth the time to open a fake account?

IMHO it is. It takes just a few minutes to create temporary e-mail and resgister a new FB account.
But then it gives a lot of pleasant minutes keeping informed about development process, about problems and solutions, about all the ongoing stuff.
Actually Facebook is not convinient for this, but nevermind.

Cyber

Posted: 06:49pm 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  I think that there is room for VERY retro things like the x16 as well as the modern/retro Maximite computers in various forms.

Yeah, I agree. Every system is interesting in its own way.
I'm amazed by Maximite and I enjoy using it! And I'm impatiently waiting for MMBasic updates.
I'm also thrilled by upcoming Commander and I'm happy that emulator released successfuly.

Decoy

Posted: 04:13am 06 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

..as a side note, I also believe that having the development process be on Facebook is a sign of not knowing your audience.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:56pm 12 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Link for update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-6Cjzzg8s&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=InBYOKG4LcMqfhNK%3A6
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Decoy

Posted: 02:22pm 13 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  Link for update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-6Cjzzg8s&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=InBYOKG4LcMqfhNK%3A6

Wow, I am amazed at how big the pcb is, and how much stuff is on it. So much for a simple direct solution. To me, it seems like a "Youtube-star team-up". Look at the guy designing the case. Looks horrible, and the 3D render evens states another name.

I get a slight Milli Vanilli-tingle, and an even slighter Mike Kennedy-vibe.

Cyber

Posted: 06:09pm 13 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Decoy said  Wow, I am amazed at how big the pcb is, and how much stuff is on it. So much for a simple direct solution.

Are you amazed in good or in bad way?
It's a prototype board. It will be smaller after rearrengement and removing LCD. So it should be that much.

Decoy said  Look at the guy designing the case. Looks horrible, and the 3D render evens states another name.

Yeah, I also waited something more retro.

Decoy

Posted: 06:34pm 13 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh, in a bad way. I think it is a mess.

It's obvious that it is a celebrity-project. But I am not a fanboy of anyone. I know that the guy designing the cases, were chosen first and foremost because of who he is, and not his skills. That annoys me.

I actually find this to be an advertisement for the involved Youtubers. I was a little bit offended by the video. But then again, I am sensitive to such things.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024