Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:28 23 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PIC32MX570F512H

athlon1900

Posted: 10:58am 27 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello @all

this is my first post and my english is not perfect.

At first i must say thanks to Geoff and matherp , the micromite is great.    
I build my own micromite 28pin , 44pin and the extreme 64pin .
Many thanks. It makes a lot of fun.  

My first question is about the PIC32MX570F512H ( It was a wrong order , wanted a mx470 ): is the firmware from the standart micromite ( mx170 ) compatible with this pic ? The datasheet is the same.

The second question : what about the the 1,3inch Oled I2C-display with SSH1106 controller , will it work with the micromite ? I did not find anything meaningful about it.
The 0,96 inch and 0,91 inch display (SSD1306) works perfect.

Best regards ,
athlon1900

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:13pm 27 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  My first question is about the PIC32MX570F512H ( It was a wrong order , wanted a mx470 ): is the firmware from the standart micromite ( mx170 ) compatible with this pic ? T

Difficult to say. It may well run but of course all the pin numbers will be wrong. If you map from the PORT/channel in the MX170 to the PORT/channel in the MX570 and use the MX170 pin number to refer to the mapped number on the MX570 it might work but I wouldn't spend time making a PCB etc. to find out.

Quote  The second question : what about the the 1,3inch Oled I2C-display with SSH1106 controller , will it work with the micromite ? I did not find anything meaningful about it.
The 0,96 inch and 0,91 inch display (SSD1306) works perfect.

There is only one small difference between SSD1306 and SH1106: The SH1106 controller has an internal RAM of 132x64 pixel. The SSD1306 only has 128x64 pixel.

In my driver you can compensate for this by adding 2 to the X coordinate and this works fine for 1.3" SSH1106 SPI displays. However, I have never got an I2C 1.3" display to work despite spending some time trying - sorry.
Edited 2019-11-27 22:17 by matherp

athlon1900

Posted: 01:30am 28 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  If you map from the PORT/channel in the MX170 to the PORT/channel in the MX570 and use the MX170 pin number to refer to the mapped number on the MX570 it might work but I wouldn't spend time making a PCB etc. to find out.

That means , I will flash the mx170 firmware to the mx570 and hope it will run.  
The winter is long , I will try it out  

Quote  There is only one small difference between SSD1306 and SH1106: The SH1106 controller has an internal RAM of 132x64 pixel. The SSD1306 only has 128x64 pixel.

In my driver you can compensate for this by adding 2 to the X coordinate and this works fine for 1.3" SSH1106 SPI displays. However, I have never got an I2C 1.3" display to work despite spending some time trying - sorry.

Thanks for your explanation.
It is not tragic but before I buy something I prefer to ask.
Edited 2019-11-28 11:31 by athlon1900

athlon1900

Posted: 08:37am 04 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi matherp ,

Update:
i have build a small pcb with the MX570.
Flashing the MX570 without any problems with MPLAB IPE 5.15
Probing all Pins for Console TX and RX , but nothing.

I have compared the datasheets between the MX170 and MX570 , but i saw on the MX570
there are no RPB4/RB4 and RPA4/RA4 Pins ( console-pins on MX170 ) .

My Question is , can you change the console to

17 | PGEC2/AN6/RPB6/RB6
18 | PGED2/AN7/RPB7/CTED3/RB7

for the MX570 ?

Thanks , athlon1900

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:22am 04 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello.
Welcome to the forums.

If you meant to order 470's but ordered 570's instead, why can't you just re-order the correct part?

It is extremely unlikely that the MMBASIC HEX file for a different part number, will work with what you have.

You can pretty much flash any HEX you like into any PIC32 chip, but it will not want to start, simply cos we are talking totally different chips here.  HEX files are device-specific.  Probably best to write up and write off the 570's as a bad order, and reorder the correct 470 chips.  

Good luck anyway.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

athlon1900

Posted: 08:16pm 04 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
You can pretty much flash any HEX you like into any PIC32 chip, but it will not want to start, simply cos we are talking totally different chips here.  HEX files are device-specific.

Hello Grogster !
Thanks for your answere.

It was on ebay where i buy the MX570 and for about six months.
Theoreticaly runs the HEX of standart-micromite on the MX570.
The datasheet is for the MX1xx/2xx/5xx Chips.

I know that HEX-files are device-specific but i do not know , how you flash your Mites. With the IPE from Microchip there becomes an failure , if you will flash a Hex-file which is for a other family.
And the Pic32MX170/MX270 and also the MX570 are the same family. Just 64 pins and more flash.
Why it should not run ?  
The only issue is : on the MX570 there are no RPB4/RB4 and RPA4/RA4 Pins  
So i can't get the console working. That's why i asking for an "upgrade" of the Hex.  

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:56pm 04 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I certainly understand your dilemma, but even though they are the same family, the HEX file for MMBASIC is SPECIFIC to the intended device - NOT also other devices in the same family.  I'm afraid it does not work that way.

The same family of chips most likely have the same MCU core, but the I/O and pins will be totally different between devices along with RAM and flash differences.

The ONLY exception I can think of, is the MX270 that can have the 170 HEX programmed into it.  My understanding is that this is cos the 270 is essentially the same die as the 170 with the same pin-mappings, but with the USB module added, so all the pin-mappings in the tables in the HEX are still correct etc, with the exception of the two USB pins.  So you can program the 170 HEX into the 270 chip and it will work, but the two USB pins are simply inaccessible.  That is the exception though, not the rule.

I seriously doubt that either matherp or Geoff will be willing to recompile the code for the 570 UNLESS there are significant benefits of that chip over the 470 for example.  The problem you face, is that you're asking for a one-off recompile just to suit the 570 chips you have(unlikely to happen), and even if you DID have that, updates will not be ported to that chip, as it is not officially supported, so any bug fixes etc would not be able to be applied moving forward.  It's already a monster to maintain MMBASIC, as there are several versions for several different chips NOW, so I don't think matherp or Geoff will be willing to support another chip unless the features of the 570 made it worth while.

I understand your willingness to try, but I think you are fighting an uphill battle.  

Please reconsider simply getting the correct 470 chips.  

Oh, BTW: As to programming it, the microbridge based on the 1455 chip is probably your best bet.  As you are already using some of the micromites, you may have one of those?  Since that became available, I have never bothered with the PICkit3 or the IPE anymore, as the 1455 chip does the same thing, and it is so simple and less frustrating then fighting the Microchip method!  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:37am 05 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

An alternative is to request the source code, figure out what needs to be changed, make the changes, rebuild it, test it and there you go.

John

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 12:59pm 05 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A pic can be programmed without it being in a runnable environment... I would check that the pic is running ok, eg measure that the current used is realistic (more than a few mA), and also the voltage on the main capacitor on Vcap - on a running system it is about half the main supply.

It the ic is running ok, that is good, other wise forget it !

I think there is also a way of directing the console serial to another serial port.
If that other port has corresponding pins on the 570, I guess you could setup the microite on a 170 to use the alternate console port, then read that ic with a pickit3 to get the hex file, then force-burn that into the 570. But it is a long jump and hardly worth it.

athlon1900

Posted: 03:35pm 05 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
Please reconsider simply getting the correct 470 chips.  

Oh, BTW: As to programming it, the microbridge based on the 1455 chip is probably your best bet.  As you are already using some of the micromites, you may have one of those?  Since that became available, I have never bothered with the PICkit3 or the IPE anymore, as the 1455 chip does the same thing, and it is so simple and less frustrating then fighting the Microchip method!  

Hi Grogster !
I have 2 MX470 Chips (64 and 100 Pin) . That's not the problem. Only the mistake from me to buy the false chip.

With the PICKit3 and Microchip IPE i never had a problem to flash a chip. For me it is the best method.

zeitfest said  A pic can be programmed without it being in a runnable environment... I would check that the pic is running ok, eg measure that the current used is realistic (more than a few mA), and also the voltage on the main capacitor on Vcap - on a running system it is about half the main supply.

It the ic is running ok, that is good, other wise forget it !

I think there is also a way of directing the console serial to another serial port.
If that other port has corresponding pins on the 570, I guess you could setup the microite on a 170 to use the alternate console port, then read that ic with a pickit3 to get the hex file, then force-burn that into the 570. But it is a long jump and hardly worth it.

Hi zeitfest !
Thanks for your answer. I will try it out.
It's a good idea with the MX170 Chip. I have my testboard somewhere, I have to search for it.
why i didn't get this idea ?    

What i have to find out , how do i disable the console and enable it on other pins.
Is this a OPTION compared to OPTION BAUDRATE ?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024