Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:20 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Chess program in MMBasic (DOS)

ceptimus

Posted: 12:23pm 28 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I ported Tom Kerrigan's TSCP (Tom's simple chess program) from C to MMBasic with his permission.  If anyone modifies it further, please contact Tom and get his permission before circulating it - you'll find his website by searching for tscp.

The attached version seems to run okay in the DOS version of MMBasic, and I would be grateful if some chess enthusiasts could test it and provide feedback and bug reports.

On the Armmite F4 it's rather slow and crashes because the recursive search causes the for loop nesting depth limit to be exceeded.  Runs fast on the Picromite, but again the nesting limit causes a crash.  I ported it to the CMM but again slow and exceeds the nesting limit.  I've not tried it on the Armmite H7 yet - perhaps one of you will.

Edit: found and fixed a bug so if you've already downloaded, please download the later version now attached below.

tscp.zip
Edited 2019-11-29 02:56 by ceptimus

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:38am 29 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is this a full test on ArmmiteH7?
Note: I had to change variable LINE$ to something else as LINE is a reserved word

Edited 2019-11-29 18:47 by matherp

ceptimus

Posted: 02:44pm 29 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks.  The bench score is relative to an Athlon XP 2000+ processor running the compiled C version which is supposed to score 1.0.  I compiled and ran the C version on a Pi Zero and it scored 0.436

If the benchmark test is working correctly, the Armmite is about ten thousand times slower than the Athlon running the compiled C version.

But 22 Nodes per second is pretty good for MMBasic.  The DOS version of MMBasic on my i7 2GHz laptop only does about five times better: 118 nodes/sec

ceptimus

Posted: 03:42pm 29 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bug fix.

tscp.zip
Edited 2019-11-30 05:55 by ceptimus

retepsnikrep

Posted: 09:51am 03 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Clever stuff might have to dig my Max out to try this.
As a chess player I'm always impressed with chess software..
Gen1 Honda Insights.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024