Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:48 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : How to CHR$ bigger then 255 decimal....

Page 2 of 2    
Poppy

Guru

Posted: 12:20pm 31 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  

This is very true as an example, see this in UK - talking "street" but with a clipped Cambridge accent. The humour comes from the juxtaposition of the characters/circumstances  and the way they talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4pnTrjEjd0

Great!      

Not exactly the same, but definitively hitting the direction of humor I meant.

Of course original British Humour is the mother of it all!
I love it!

Andre ... such a GURU?

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 12:54pm 31 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am biased so I can't comment

Personally I love to experience culture (esp. food, humour) from "the other side". here are two great pieces, one from an Ozzy show in the 80s and another from a Malian, who unashamdely leverages white guilt for laughs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5NfaT-t80
We are all the same and sometimes humour can come from some strange vectors. Google "John Smeaton" - a terrible set of circumstances but the bravery of one man made me laugh so hard I nearly popped an artery - DO NOT MESS WITH GLASWEGIANS!

I think American Jewish Humour is some of the funniest. There was a two-part series on the TV here a couple of years back, simply called "Old Jews telling Jokes", just New Yorkers doing a piece to camera and some of it had me curled up crying... a lot of it would cause a raised eyebrow under the political Correctness banner. I was going to include the funniest here but I reckon I might get told off (PM if you want it).

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 03:39pm 31 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Yeah australian humor is also great!

I love Dame Edna and the Paul Hogan Show (and of course his Crocodile Dundee as well, even Part 3)  

Coming back to Britain I also used to watch the Benny Hill Show, nowadays such shows are really missing. Today´s humor is so aggressive, at least german humor!

In Germany there only was one great Master of fine and sophisticated humor, sometimes being nonsense but never superficially hollow.

"Loriot", but he already deceased, sadly!

This one from him is divinely great, a german female telecaster tries to summarize the storyline of a british tv series being totally overcharged by speaking out british names  ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8fOmcAs88

Andre ... such a GURU?

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:44pm 31 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  

@ CG: Yes, DFplayer Mini

The code I posted is for that module.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:49am 01 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Yes, the Engrish version still needs a little translation.

I should have mentioned that Silicon Chip did one of their 'El Cheapo' articles on the DFPlayer Mini in December 2018 with a software example for the Micromite if you have access to it.

Bill

Found the issue, and have read it.  Thanks for the heads-up on that article.

@ CG: Yes, I thought I certainly recognised some of the hex values in your code.  Interestingly, in both of the Engrish manuals I now have(my original one, and the PICAXE one), neither mention the byte for STOP and RANDOM PLAY, which I have now stolen from your code - thanks.  
Any idea what 0x12 - 0x15 and 0x17 do?
I could try just sending those bytes, but I thought I would ask first!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 06:50pm 01 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
@ CG: Yes, I thought I certainly recognised some of the hex values in your code.  Interestingly, in both of the Engrish manuals I now have(my original one, and the PICAXE one), neither mention the byte for STOP and RANDOM PLAY, which I have now stolen from your code - thanks.  
Any idea what 0x12 - 0x15 and 0x17 do?
I could try just sending those bytes, but I thought I would ask first!

There are some gaps in the numbers for the commands.

I found a bit of information for a different looking module (I have some of them). I'll email the data to you.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 11:36pm 01 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm sure that other forum members have used the DFPlayer Mini but I can't find any reference to any posts.

In the same issue of Silicon Chip, in the Serviceman's Log column there is a piece on a chiming clock repair that used the DFPlayer Mini but there is no software.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:20am 02 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh, the Catalex MP3 player!!!!!
It uses the same chip!
Well, they call it YX5300 vs YX5200 on the DFplayer, but no-one seems to know what the differences are between them.  I will try the commands from the Catalex PDF on the DFplayer and see if any of them crash the module.  I know that 0x16(STOP) works, as I have already tried that, but perhaps the 5300 chip supports more commands then the 5200 or something.
I used to use the Catalex module quite a lot - not sure why my brain did not think to look up that PDF too.

Oh well....
Probably cos I did not remember that they both use essentially the same processor chip.

There is more information in this PDF as to commands, and this manual is well laid-out and easy to understand.

I DO remember that the main reason I stopped using the Catalex version, was that they did not route out the BUSY line, whereas on the DFplayer module, they do.  A BUSY line is very useful, and pretty much mandatory for any seriously controlled playback, so that made me drop the Catalex module for the DFplayer which did have a BUSY line, and was also smaller too.

I seem to recall even posting a photo on the forums here ages ago, with a hack to bring out the busy pin on the Catalex module.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:24am 02 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I bookmarked that post in case you want it.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:34pm 02 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, that's the one!

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024