Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:56 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Wiki for various *mite info

flasherror

Posted: 01:45am 03 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all,

Is there an existing wiki for a central repository of knowledge, firmware, schematics, example code, etc regarding various projects (such as the various *mites such as ARMmite, STM32, Raspberry Pi etc)

It's somewhat tedious to wade through various forum posts looking for latest firmware and reading about bugs & fixes since things are updated all the time - just wondering if there is a better way!

This would make it easier for people to easily get started. It's easy to get started with Arduino since there are all sorts of resources, but not quite so simple here. Granted, the community seems to be smaller but I think having some permanent resources that are updated frequently (with a fixed URL) would be helpful!

If there is an existing wiki or other resources besides this forum I'd like to know about it.

Thanks

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 02:37am 03 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

try here & search for micromite etc
ChopperP

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:50am 03 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Under Micromite MMBasic Library(s) there is the Community driven MMBasic wiki and the The Back Sheds doc register. Both of which are sort of what you want but they require effort by individuals to update and add information. Many of us don't have the time or inclination.

For The Back Sheds doc register Only a few people have permission to update it. That would be an ideal place to store all of the different 'mite firmware and manuals plus the occasional CFunctions that are posted (those not supported by Geoff). Maybe a volunteer to maintain it is needed?

I have put some other poster's work in the Community driven MMBasic wiki and will do more as time permits. Retirement doesn't provide all of the spare time that I expected.

My solution at the moment is to use my browser to bookmark any posts that I am interested in. Google can help when searching for information if you include "thebackshed" in your search.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:35am 03 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Morning flasherror

People have different preferences and many like to post their work here. I agree it can be difficult to find what you need on occasion but everyone is free to publish as they see fit and there is no right or wrong way to do it, just preferences. I have seen people post to the wiki and then remove their postings... this might be down to the markup that must be used to get a nice looking article - I don't think it is hard to learn, just different but (because it is a wiki) others can chip in and help - that is the idea.

There is a specific MMbasc section here: http://www.fruitoftheshed.com/MMBasic.Default.aspx and you will see several familiar names as contributors. This is also the home (with the blessing of Hugh & Geoff) of the original MMBasic library which is no longer maintained - it was a large zip file which quickly became unwieldy. I spent some time extracting and creating a separate wiki page for each piece of code which makes it searchable and discuss-able. Beware there are some difference between MicroMite and associated MMBasic flavours.

I have written loads of wikis at FruitOfTheShed for useful functions and published entire projects here where I can (some are commercial and someone else has paid for the work) and some where functionality has been requested - recently I wrote a suite of code to read/Write flash memories using a purely MMBasic solution so that the more powerful ARMMites and MMX could use them (their versions of MMBasic don't support CSubs). So long as didn't pay for the work for the work, I tend to post it there to grow the library. I have had so much help off the community I get a warm fuzzy feeling being able to put something up that may be useful or provide the spark for someone else.  

hth

h
Edited 2020-01-03 19:44 by CaptainBoing

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:46am 03 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  Morning flasherror

People have different preferences and many like to post their work here. I agree it can be difficult to find what you need on occasion but everyone is free to publish as they see fit and there is no right or wrong way to do it, just preferences. I have seen people post to the wiki and then remove their postings... this might be down to the markup that must be used to get a nice looking article - I don't think it is hard to learn, just different but (because it is a wiki) others can chip in and help - that is the idea.

There is a specific MMbasc section here: http://www.fruitoftheshed.com/MMBasic.Default.aspx and you will see several familiar names as contributors. This is also the home (with the blessing of Hugh & Geoff) of the original MMBasic library which is no longer maintained - it was a large zip file which quickly became unwieldy. I spent some time extracting and creating a separate wiki page for each piece of code which makes it searchable and discuss-able. Beware there are some difference between MicroMite and associated MMBasic flavours.

I have written loads of wikis at FruitOfTheShed for useful functions and published entire projects here where I can (some are commercial and someone else has paid for the work) and some where functionality has been requested - recently I wrote a suite of code to read/Write flash memories using a purely MMBasic solution so that the more powerful ARMMites and MMX could use them (their versions of MMBasic don't support CSubs). So long as someone didn't pay for the work for the work, I tend to post it there to grow the library. I have had so much help off the community I get a warm fuzzy feeling being able to put something up that may be useful or provide the spark for someone else.  

hth

h

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 11:17am 03 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  I get a warm fuzzy feeling ...

This reminds me of former times as a very small one in the bath tub ...

OK, seriously.... at all of us!

I agree and support, what is the status quo, what is necessary, what is useful and what can and how can it be done?

We should not forget that this little hobby-forum is the central place for MMBASIC and all "Mity"-stuff.

So if this dies everything about it will die and it is already too complicated for real rookies!

CaptainBoing said  ... to put something up that may be useful or provide the spark for someone else.

Exactly! This is what I really like about this place and generally the internet ...

... though not being still the same as it was 20 years ago!

I think there is still much to do for old veterans like us!

Andre ... such a GURU?

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 01:15pm 03 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  

in the UK we have a phrase "to piddle up someone's back" means to give them a warm feeling about something - alluding to some hollow gesture so as to achieve some other goal.

Poppy said  
So if this dies everything about it will die and it is already too complicated for real rookies!

I am doing my best... The wiki is on a cloud-machine with a long lease.

I agree the array of 'Mites can be a bit dizzying but I always encourage newbies to start with a basic 170. That seems to work but the basic device is so good it tends to abdicate the need for advancement. And that leads on to my impression that if there is a problem with the 'Mite scene I think it might be a victim of it's own success; The whole concept is so accessible it has spawned tons of independent boards all available for incredibly reasonable amount of cash. BUT... a 170 is so good at what it does, often there is little need to explore the bigger boys unless you need crazy speed or cheeky amounts of IO. I know some PCB designers can feel a bit deflated by the lack of enthusiasm for a new board and I have one particular flavour of MMX that had a very short run. Nothing wrong with the product and I personally think the board is amazing but not everyone can find that "killer app". Arduino has the same experience. It isn't peculiarly a Mite thing; I saw some figures but can't remember the details now, but I seem to remember the pro-mini (and clones - hence the difficulty verifying the figures) out-sells the Nano and the big boys by 100s to one. It does what it does well enough that people don't look for anything else.

my 2p

In one commercial application, I have dozens of tiddly 170s in day to day service and they only use a single pin of IO. A tad more speed might be nice - 48MHz leaves a 170 barely enough time to properly encrypt (RC4) some messages in that time conscious application, but it does OK with thoughtful code - that isn't going to service the MMX or ARMs.

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 02:54pm 03 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
  Poppy said  

in the UK we have a phrase "to piddle up someone's back" means to give them a warm feeling about something - alluding to some hollow gesture so as to achieve some other goal.

Thanks, I love to learn more about the english language!
So just keep on like this!

CaptainBoing said  
  Poppy said  

I am doing my best...

Itīs not just up to you, itīs up to all of us here being around!
At least I personally do just have published some basics concerning the CMM and DM on my private webpage, ĩM (170īs) coming up next ... hopefully sparking and spreading. But monitoring activities on the internet MMBASIC never really reached Germany! Next to me here only seem to be 1 or 2 more of my neighbors around.

CaptainBoing said  

I agree the array of 'Mites can be a bit dizzying but I always encourage newbies to start with a basic 170.

I am setting up even lower, I think the CMM/MM/DM as a stand alone desktop computer is the easiest way to start up completely new.

But of course the step up to Micromites can be easily soon after or for some beginners even parallelly.

@ ALL
So practically what can be done or what does it actually take to make/keep all constructive information made up and directly available.
I fear many issues just drown and will at last not be recognized by all those showing up later.
Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:19am 06 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A practical example:

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=11920

Question: How to?

Answer: There!

My question: Why there and not here or somewhere else?!

I cannot find any head-link to "fruit of the shed" on the backshed-site and then I cannot find this particular code over there!

If there was no member to remember and remind others just by chance, this example can already be considered being totally lost!

... itīs all like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Andre ... such a GURU?

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:01pm 06 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My file of micromite notes contains this link:

http://www.fruitoftheshed.com/MMBasic.AllPages.aspx

The "Sticky Topics" thread, "Micromite MMBasic Library(s)" has a link to this.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 09:12am 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your help, but I am not questioning for myself just generally for the sake of some constructive criticism.

All good stuff even virtually gets "down under" ... for not being found easy enough.

MMBASIC and all Mity-Stuff do more or less exclusively exist in this little bubble here around us and if someone new enters he (or for heavens sake    "she") will not find any clear direction!

... not criticizing the all readiness to help others, but probably many or some will just be gone before finding out.
Andre ... such a GURU?

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:09am 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

On a number of forums it seems people do not look for or at Sticky items.  Is it due to using a (so-called) "smart" phone?

Or just due to not looking.

John

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 12:16pm 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  On a number of forums it seems people do not look for or at Sticky items.  Is it due to using a (so-called) "smart" phone?

Or just due to not looking.

I think you are generally, to some extend completely right, but that is their own fault, I am talking about "naives" not "stupids". Those who are worth it getting some elaborated guidance.

But particularly there is no "FruitoftheShed" among the Sticky Topics but "MMBASIC Library" might be enough for that, it still has to be updated regularly and filled with all snippets only being drowned under tons of postings.
Andre ... such a GURU?

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 04:38pm 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  But particularly there is no "FruitoftheShed" among the Sticky Topics but "MMBASIC Library" might be enough for that, it still has to be updated regularly and filled with all snippets only being drowned under tons of postings.

You might see if Glenn (Gizmo) is willing to add it, but he may point out this is not a forum dedicated to MMBasic.

The problem with getting things updated (such as MMBASIC Library) is the shortage of volunteers.  I'm sure you'd be welcome if you would do it!

John

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 04:55pm 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  
[..] not a forum dedicated to MMBasic.

important to remember that - although it does seem to be the (at least semi-) official home. Fruit of the Shed has a dedicated namespace for it but even then it was intended to be agnostic although that hasn't happened much either.

JohnS said  
The problem with getting things updated (such as MMBASIC Library) is the shortage of volunteers.

... as I was warned it would be four years ago when FotS was set up to ensure the knowledge was not lost. It has got a bit of traction in the last couple of years but getting people to put the stuff up there hasn't been embraced as well as hoped (and again was predicted) - perhaps the Wiki approach (markup required for nice looking pages) has been a turn-off. On the upside there are some frankly excellent articles that have been put up purely out of goodness - the LCD panel reference is so useful and I have drawn on it myself many times as the permutations are dizzying. In truth, the original library file and the lack of search within helped drive me to do it. There are some other libraries but they tend to be hosted by commercial concerns and I think a community driven approach is better for stuff like this as if that owner decides to close up shop (as Dontronics had to) then that knowledge could be lost.

Live & let live, if people are happy doing it one way over another then that is OK in my book and at least it serves not having eggs all in one basket. It seems most posters here (certainly the ones I have PMed) are happy for me to duplicate their work in FotS to try an "cross-pollinate" things a bit. I was quietly a bit worried last year when this forum was wobbly. Most happy it is OK now and it is clear Glenn has done work so that old URLs work with the change of tech.
Edited 2020-01-08 03:02 by CaptainBoing

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024