Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:32 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Air Quality Sensors and Systems for MM?

Page 1 of 4    
Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 11:32pm 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a project formulating in my mind - how to inexpensively measure "air quality".
As is my want, I'd like to know if any shedders have tried, or have come across systems or components.

The main effect I'm thinking of measuring is smoke (and I'll leave safety-related detectors to commercial devices).
The current tragic bush-fires in Aus are causing havoc with my asthma (and MANY much more important impacts that I can only best help with $$) and we know that they will only get worse with time.
I have an outdoor weather station, and lots of indoor sensors (room by room) to detect temperature so I can open/close off doors etc - but no way of knowing if I am letting smoke into the house (my "nose" cannot be everywhere at once 24/7).

Any comments/suggestions?

Cheers,

Andrew
(in Melbourne)

paceman
Guru

Posted: 12:26am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Andrew,
I was looking into this a few nights ago, same reason as you, smoke in Melbourne from the bushfires. There seems to be a lot of interest these days in a small laser light scattering sensor/module called the SDS011, good for < PM2.5 up to PM10. They're available from about $20 on alieexpress, banggood, e-Bay, Amazon etc. and give a continuous readout (about each second). They've got a little air pump inside them. Just search for 'SDS011 sensor' on those sites.

There's also a bit of literature around testing them against official sensors and they seem to do reasonably well, the major interference being RH above 60%. Here's a link for one of the journal papers I found ParticleSensor.

Cheers,
Greg

P.S. How's your home PCB making going?

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 12:40am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Greg,
Thanks for that.
There is also a DSM501 sensor (I'm at the very early stages of my thinking).

Cheers,

Andrew

Re your PCB exposure box - it is still "unused but safe" in my "study". I have all the materials etc but keep getting distracted by health issues (all under control) and this new house (still don't have a final design nor Council approval - after three years).

Quazee137

Guru

Posted: 01:52am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While looking for the SDS011 sensor at AliExpress I found this
SDEV011

Quazee137

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:09am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quazee137 said  While looking for the SDS011 sensor at AliExpress I found this
SDEV011

Quazee137

In the fine print
"Contains no sensor "

so it is a development board only and you still need the sensor.
Still a good price.
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:24am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was thinking of either the Plantower PMS7003 or nova SDS011 dust sensor.

The local EPA site is a couple of km away at about the same altitude so I have a handy reference. I will eventually do something here.
I am border-line COPD so the smoke you are sending over here is not much fun.

The dirty looking clouds are the smoke, heading over to NZ when that image was taken.

We have given up on any vegie garden this year. All the water I can get from the bore is going to keeping the trees alive.

I ordered a new pump mid December and it hasn't arrived. The courier won't tell me where it is.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 04:33am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quazee - thanks

Jim - and you're not far from Cape Grim which (normally) has the cleanest air in the World (certainly in Aus). Hopefully the two cyclones (in WA and NT) might send some rain ...

Cheers,

Andrew

("When I used to work" there were early road-side fog/smoke detectors (eg on the F6 from Sydney to Woolongong). They cost several thousands but saved many crashes by warning of fog etc. Amazing to see such sensors now well below $100)

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:01am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew_G said  Quazee - thanks

Jim - and you're not far from Cape Grim which (normally) has the cleanest air in the World (certainly in Aus). Hopefully the two cyclones (in WA and NT) might send some rain ...

Cheers,

Andrew

I missed an opportunity to visit the Cape Grim station last year.

Next time my nephew goes there, I hope he can smuggle me in but they are very fussy about who is allowed anywhere near it.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 06:01am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Page 112 of latest Silicon Chip in the 'coming up in silicon chip' section it
claims 'Micromite Air Quality Monitor' is in planning and to be in next few issues.
Does not say what sensor they are using.

Regards
Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 06:19am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gerry,
Well spotted. It seems to be specifically for VOCs but, maybe with a different sensor it might be able graph other properties (eg smoke)?
Does anyone have a line of communication with SC?

Cheers,

Andrew

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:43pm 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was refreshing my memory of the SDS011 and finally found the communications protocol.
Previously, I only had the datasheet pDF.
I couldn't help myself and ordered a module.
The fire season will be over by the time it arrives but not long to wait for the next.

sds011.pdf

sds011_protocol.pdf

The main thing to do is put it onto intermittent sampling. If you run it continuously, it only lasts 8000 hours or one year.

30 seconds every 5 minutes will see me out.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 10:09pm 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,
Any chance of a link to the one you got?

Cheers,

Andrew
(the fire season may have months to run yet although this year's fuel, and we, may be all gone by then)
Edited 2020-01-09 08:14 by Andrew_G

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:05pm 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-pm2.5-sensor.html
A few options to choose from.
When I try to give a link to the exact one I got, they want me to log in to view it.
I went with the first one on the above page.

aliexpress can be rather slow to arrive.

Jim

Good news, I have located my missing water pump. I should see it today so back to reasonable water pressure tomorrow!
3 weeks from Sydney to Burnie.
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 12:18am 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Researched this a few years ago, I decided on the Plantower 7003 sensor and interfaced that with an MM100 and 5" LCD via a Radio Link between the battery powered 7003 sensor and the MM100.

I have few pictures somewhere. The 7003 returns a number of data sets that can be displayed.

At the time I made it, I added the AQI index based on the "National Environment Protection (Ambient Air Quality) Measurement standards and goals" over an 8 hour period.

Also included a screen for dual Graph displays for the desired recording periods and a another screen with two big AQI graphic display dial gauges for pm2.5 and pm10 with AQI colour coding segments to quickly see at a glance, and from a distance, the AQI for the current wood working task in the workshop.

The 7003 works really well and is simple to interface with the standard serial data stream.

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 01:33am 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim.
I've ordered one and I'll keep you posted (I've never mastered Aliexpress but I'll know in a month or so - at least I have an email that they have received my order).

All the best with the pump.

Andrew

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:10am 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

disco4now said  Page 112 of latest Silicon Chip in the 'coming up in silicon chip' section it claims 'Micromite Air Quality Monitor' is in planning and to be in next few issues.  Does not say what sensor they are using.

It uses the CCS811 which measures Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) so it is really just an indoor air quality monitor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CCS811-HDC1080-CO2-VOCs-Temperature-Humidity-Air-Quality-Sensor-Detect-Module/163019349523

I have plans to add a particulate sensor and a CO2 sensor to make it into a full monitor.  The only trouble is that the extra sensors push the cost up and it would then be worth buying a complete monitor from China.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 07:06am 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,
thanks.
A VOC monitor could also be quite useful (especially if we ever get around to building a new house here).
Without giving anything away that you shouldn't, I assume its based on a MM LCD backpack?

I currently have DS18B20s all around this (old) house but at those prices CCS811s, hooked into my HC-12 network, become very interesting for the new one.

Cheers,

Andrew

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:34pm 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, it is based on the LCD Backpack (any version) and all the code is in BASIC.  The sensor turned out to be tricky to use but the result is quite good.  It is very sensitive to things like unventilated rooms and chemicals used in furnishings (ie, sick building syndrome).

This is a screenshot showing the main screen which includes a graph over time (reached a max of near 2000ppb) and the current reading:

Edited 2020-01-09 23:37 by Geoffg
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:01pm 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Posted in error
Edited 2020-01-10 05:04 by matherp

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 12:13am 10 Jan 2020