Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:32 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Help for data logging with MM2 and SD card

Page 2 of 2    
Volhout
Guru

Posted: 11:09am 16 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear Peter,

I would like to appologize if by any text I wrote I offended you. It is absolutely amazing what Geoff and You have created. And the ongoing support that both are giving, so many years afterwards. The SDCARD libraries where from 2015/2016 and still you contribute as if it where new developments.

So my remark about them not being robust was inappropriate. Excuses.
Similar the fact that I did not understand that there was only 1 set of libraries, and the commands where result of creating aliases.

I hope you continue to contribute to MMbasic.

Regards,

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 01:15pm 16 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

the behaviour has changed/improved significantly with your new driver!!

It now takes most several seconds (10-20 seconds) until the error message "Error: Not Ready" or "Error: Disk Error" appears. But now it works much more often very well! Also my 16GB INTENSO is working now - this had not worked at all before!!! ...but it's not as stable - after a longer disconnection, I couldn't access it again...

If it does not work, the only thing that helps is to disconnect the power supply and wait several seconds. Very rarely that a "CPU RESTART" works. If it works, it works again even after a short disconnection of the power supply or after a "CPU RESTART".

Somehow there seem to be problems with the powerup of the card.

Do you access the card immediately after starting the Micromite or only when a file is opened?

Thanks for your new driver - it works much better now!    

Frank

Update:
If it works I can interrupt it with CTRL+C, swap the two cards and start it again with RUN - it still works then!

I use a "#" as end marker and append the new data at the end.

This is my program:
Pause 1000
Option AUTORUN ON
Option EXPLICIT
Option default integer

' Constants defining SD card calls
Const fileopen=1
Const readfile=2
Const writefile=3
Const opendir=4
Const readdir=5

'Micromite - SD Card
'===================
'Pin2  - SS
'Pin3  - MOSI
'Pin14 - MISO
'Pin25 - SCK

'SDCard fileopen,filename$
SDCard fileopen,"Timelog.csv"

Dim DTA$
Dim filepos Integer
Dim Zaehler Integer

Zaehler=-1
Do
 Zaehler=Zaehler+1
 Print Zaehler
 SDcard readfile,DTA$,Zaehler,1,filepos
 Print Dta$
Loop Until DTA$="#"
filepos=Zaehler
Print "filepos=",filepos

'Mainprog

Do
 RTC GETTIME
 Dta$=Date$+";"+Time$+";test"+Chr$(13)+"#"
 Print Dta$
 Pause 500
 SDcard writefile,DTA$,filepos,Len(DTA$)
 Print"data written"
 ' maintain the file pointer - this must be done in the Basic program
 filepos=filepos+Len(DTA$)-1
 Pause 1000
Loop

Edited 2020-01-16 23:26 by Frank N. Furter

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:35pm 16 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No problem - I probably over-reacted anyway.

Perhaps if I explain a bit about CFunctions.

When you call a CFunction from MMBasic it gets passed a series of memory addresses, one for each parameter, nothing else.

There is nothing it can do to establish what is actually being passed. It only knows what it expects.

Say you pass me an integer and I'm expecting a string in which I'm going to return some data. I take the address and start writing the data from that address.

What has now happened is that I've overwritten a bit of the MMBasic variable table with my data and there is now a very high probablity that MMBasic is going to crash.

It is therefore essential with CFunctions that they are used precisely as intended and with precisely the type of variable expected. The SDcard CFunction is more complex than most. For example to read data you pass it a string for reads < 256 characters and an integer array for reads >=256 character. Moreover, the use of the parameters differs between the various modes 0-7. So lots of scope to crash things but if you pass the correct parameters in the correct way then I believe it works as expected.

If not, it is a bug which I'll try and fix but without a specific sequence of events that can be replicated I have no way of knowing if it is a bug or operator error

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:21pm 16 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Do you access the card immediately after starting the Micromite or only when a file is opened?

Only after a file is opened. Did you try the 2R2 Resistor in the power to the SDcard? (or try 4R7). It does sound like a power issue particularly given that the 220uF cap helped.  I've never needed anything that big but always use a 10uF ceramic or tantalum with a 100nF ceramic fed through a resistor. Do you have the pullup resistors installed? Is so try without.

You can solder 1206 ceramic caps directly across the power pins on the SDcard module.
Edited 2020-01-17 00:35 by matherp

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 07:16pm 16 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

I added a 10µF 0603 ceramic capacitor directly between the power pins on the card board and 10K pullups on SCK, MOSI and MISO before you updated your driver.

Now I tried 3x 12R parallel in the powerline of the SD card - then I had no access at all.
I added a 10K pullup on the CS line - no change.

The following powerup sequencing now works:

- First I connected my powersupply or USB-power
- After some seconds I connected my board (with RTC and SD card holder WITHOUT SD card inserted)
- Again after a few seconds (when the program has started to run and produces
 the first error messages) I insert the SD card into the holder

=> then it works!!!

This works reproducibly, but only with my HAMA card, not with the INTENSO!!!

If the card is inserted from the beginning or the board is connected to the power supply from the beginning, nothing works! Not even after removing/inserting the SD card or hard resetting the controller!

I have changed the program a little bit so that it does not crash every time an error occurs:

Pause 1000
Option AUTORUN ON
Option EXPLICIT
Option default integer

' Constants defining SD card calls
Const fileopen=1
Const readfile=2
Const writefile=3
Const opendir=4
Const readdir=5

'Micromite - SD Card
'===================
'Pin2  - SS
'Pin3  - MOSI
'Pin14 - MISO
'Pin25 - SCK

'SDCard fileopen,filename$
On ERROR SKIP 1
SDCard fileopen,"Timelog.csv"
If MM.Errno<>0 Then
 Print
 Print MM.ErrMsg$
 Print"=> CPU RESTART"
 CPU RESTART
EndIf

Dim DTA$
Dim filepos Integer
Dim Zaehler Integer

Zaehler=-1
Do
 Zaehler=Zaehler+1
 Print Zaehler
 On ERROR SKIP 1
 SDcard readfile,DTA$,Zaehler,1,filepos
 If MM.Errno<>0 Then
   Print"CPU RESTART"
   CPU RESTART
 EndIf
 Print Dta$
Loop Until DTA$="#"
filepos=Zaehler
Print "filepos=",filepos

'Mainprog

Do
 RTC GETTIME
 Dta$=Date$+";"+Time$+";test"+Chr$(13)+"#"
 Print Dta$
 Pause 500
 On ERROR SKIP 1
 SDcard writefile,DTA$,filepos,Len(DTA$)
 If MM.Errno<>0 Then
   Print"CPU RESTART"
   CPU RESTART
 EndIf

Print"data written"
 ' maintain the file pointer - this must be done in the Basic program
 filepos=filepos+Len(DTA$)-1
 Pause 1000
Loop        

Frank

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 08:15am 17 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter,

you are right!!!
  Quote  It does sound like a power issue particularly given that the 220uF cap helped.

I have now tried a third, better power supply - now everything works perfectly with both cards!    

Thank you very, very much for your effort!!!

Frank

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:06am 17 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Frank,

I can also confirm it works.
I have one suggestion to make.

In case there is a power interrupt, and a restart, it is possible the interrupt corrupts a flash card write. In that case the old "#" is overwritten, and the new '#" is not written yet. In that case your algorythm will search to the end of the file without finding a '#'.

You could prepare the empty file full of '#' so it would find one at the earliest non-written position. Or you could change your search algorythm to include finding the charactervalue that is used in the empty file. (did not check, is it full of spaces ? or full of ???? It is filled with 98k of ????

What data are you writing to EEPROM? If it can be managed into a fixed length, the '#' can only be at fixed positions. That would improve the search speed for '#'.

@ Peter,

Am I correct to assume you are not touching the FAT32 FAT (file allocation table), only reading it ? Is the decision to not touch the FAT the reason that we need to use existing files, and we cannot change the file size ?
Is this limitation caused by the fact that the Cfunction must interface with MMBasic, and that there is no variable type you can use (a struct) if not provided by MMbasic ? Just trying to understand where the limitations come from.

There is a sdfatlib from william greiman (arduino uses it) that supports adding files and removing, but if you cannot interface with MMbasic, it makes no use to look at it.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:20am 17 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   Am I correct to assume you are not touching the FAT32 FAT (file allocation table), only reading it ? Is the decision to not touch the FAT the reason that we need to use existing files, and we cannot change the file size ?
Is this limitation caused by the fact that the Cfunction must interface with MMBasic, and that there is no variable type you can use (a struct) if not provided by MMbasic ? Just trying to understand where the limitations come from.

The MM+ (and all the Armmites) uses FatFS as the SDcard manager. This is pretty much the industry standard and, for example, ST use within their own code.

This is full function but is a lot of code.

Chan, the author of FatFS, also provides a cut down version called PetitFS. This is what the CFunction uses. This is MUCH smaller precisely because it has removed the extensive code needed to update the FAT32 file system. If I implemented the full version it would 1: be very hard in a CFunction. 2: Use most of the MM2 memory making it unusable anyway.

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 01:02pm 17 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

just in passing -
Interesting Cornell uni SD card project  running on Microstick II.

At a guess it'd take too much flash+ram to use with other programs much. But, if anyone wants to type it in and try it - please post it !!

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:03pm 17 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[grouch mode on]

If that is the standard of a design project for a Masters at Cornell then they are giving degrees away.

They are using (in 2017) a seriously out of date development environment which means the code can't be ported to any of the newer processors. Then they are re-inventing a wheel that has been invented so many times before that it is ridiculous. Assuming the code isn't plagiarised then all they have proved is that they can read a Microsoft spec and code a very small part of it.

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 08:32pm 17 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Volhout:

Thanks for your suggestion! I will fill the file with "#" in the future.

Now I have a brand new INTENSO 32GB card here - it does not work either!  

...main thing the 16GB cards run stable...

Frank

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:31am 18 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I get nothing serially when I connect to it and
reset.

Check it isn't formatted exFAT which isn't supported

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 10:18pm 28 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This works differently than I anticipated. If I run this code:

DIM s$ as string
DIM bytesactual as integer

s$="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP"
SDcard 3,s$,0,16,bytesactual   ' write
SDcard 2,s$,0,50,bytesactual   ' read
PRINT s$

s$="123"
SDcard 3,s$,0,3,bytesactual    ' write
SDcard 2,s$,0,50,bytesactual   ' read
PRINT s$

I get this output:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP

I expected:

123DEFGHIJKLMNOP

The write function only works as an append. A sector's worth of data
after the "123" is set to null.

Am I misinterpreting something, or is write only an append to the end
of the file?
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024