Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:39 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Retro PC

OA47

Guru

Posted: 09:11am 15 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I picked up a 286 powered computer from the local recycle centre and thought I might have a go at restoring the unit. The system is a very compact Amstrad PC5286 running at 16Mhz with a 40 Mb Conner (Type 17) HDD, 1.44 Floppy drive and on board VGA with a Yamaha sound card with DOS 3.3. My first problem is that the FDD has a proprietary interface supplying both power and signal across the ribbon cable and this is not functioning. I suspect that the belt drive in this unit is past its used by. As the floppy is not working it is difficult to modify any software that is on the hard drive (the HDD does not have any sort of text or file editor functioning) I don't trust the power supply for any length of time as the 5V output is a little low and may need some caps replaced.

I have spent hours on the web trying to find some technical information but there does not seem to be much out there. I was hoping a member might be able to help out.

OA47

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 09:42am 15 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi OA47,

I found this for you on archive.org .

At the end of the thread is a link to a drive  that might be compatible with yours...

Frank

OA47

Guru

Posted: 10:24am 15 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thankyou Frank. The FDD is indeed a Citizen Model and the pinout is probably the same as the 1/4 height one shown in the link but sourcing the replacement drive belt seems to be the problem.
OA47

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 11:01am 15 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmm,
I think it's gonna be very difficult to get a replacement...
There are some replacement belts for TEAC drives on Ebay.
You could build an adapter with the pin assignment and use a standard drive?
Or search for a compatible drive with the TEAC number...

Maybe you will find an answer here ?

Frank

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 03:57pm 15 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For finding parts for this kind of thing I would try asking on Amibay. They are a trading site that focuses on Amigas in general, but if you ask you might find someone with some hardware to sell for your Amstrad.

austfox

Posted: 10:49am 17 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For belts, try WES Components in Sydney. They have 100’s of different sizes, you just need to know the width and length (circumference). Best thing is they only cost a few dollars each. I’ve bought them before for my cassette and minidisc decks.

You can view their latest 2020 catalouge online, page 11-16.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024