Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:39 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Cable shielding

Page 2 of 2    
PeterB
Guru

Posted: 10:34pm 23 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good morning Paul et al

My problems with the RS232 system are:
1. It is not a balanced system and is just a cheap way of getting unimportant data a short distance e.g. a mouse.
2. The early PCs installed the RS232 driver in a socket because they had to be replaced frequently. Any attempt to use RS232 for something "interesting" resulted in Grogster smoke. I had a bloke looking quite sick when he thought he had destroyed one of our AT? PCs.

Fortunately there are much better systems available that work very well.

Peter

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:17pm 24 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

USB ain't balanced either.

I much prefer RS232 for the industrial environment because I get a D-sub connector with screw or clip retainers.

This is what I have to do with USB or it wouldn't last 5mins:

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 01:37am 25 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day Tinine

I must remind you that you are talking to an Australian so please use correct English. "USB ain't balanced" indeed.
3 points, I thought USB with D+ and D- was balanced. I never said nuthin about USB. & RS484 etc can use a D type connector. So there

I like your housing. Can you provide more info please (using correct English of course).

Peter

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:13am 25 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

USB uses a differential pair (D+ and D-) over a twisted pair, if that's not balanced, what is? Please explain.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 03:14am 25 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeterB & Tinine --> Geeze Louise, watsamata wid youse guys! You don't know nuttin about English? Take if from a Noo Yawker and fugeddaboudit!

Paul in NY
Edited 2020-03-25 13:18 by Paul_L

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 03:44am 25 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Paul

I put your elegant prose into Google's translator and it came straight back. Is it in some form of primitive Polish?
A second thought. Is OA47 hiding under the bed and muttering "I have created a monster".

Peter

OA47

Guru

Posted: 08:30am 25 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Been interesting seeing where this post has been going and the discussion it has provoked. I did mount the transceiver on the yagi although the bracket I intended to use was unsuitable for the mounting position ( I will modify it so I wont be relying on the cable tie)

I will monitor the records over the next week and see if I have cured the problem.

OA47

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:55am 25 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeterB said  G'Day Tinine

I must remind you that you are talking to an Australian so please use correct English. "USB ain't balanced" indeed.
3 points, I thought USB with D+ and D- was balanced. I never said nuthin about USB. & RS484 etc can use a D type connector. So there

I like your housing. Can you provide more info please (using correct English of course).

Peter

Ah, I'm bi-lingual but only English and American...need to study Oz lingo  

Enclosure:
The front-end for my control system is an Android tablet.

There are plenty of rugged tablets out there but they all have the hokey USB connector which is the first thing to fail.

I carve my enclosures out of solid aluminium/aluminum   and fit them with a panel-mount Neutrik USB connector.
The connector is only for power, no data.

The end result feels/looks like it was built for the military.
My controls end up in pretty rough/grimy environments. The most common failure, in my industry is the HMI and downtime is not an option.

I have clients who have had to wait weeks for a replacement panel PC from Siemens or Beckhoff.

My HMI is a simple download exercise followed by a Bluetooth pairing and the machine is back in production.

However, it's been 8 years with installations all over the place and zero reported failures.

As it happens, I'm in the middle of another installation in Oz. The client connects the hardware and I take care of debug, setup/calibration, usually from my bed, here in the UK.

Android devices are the ultimate HMI!

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 10:57pm 25 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine

Thanks for that. It is not a $5 off the shelf item but it looks good.
You really are fair dinkum.
The correct expression would be "usb aint f***ing balanced"
Do try to get it right.

Peter

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:11am 26 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeterB said  Tinine

Thanks for that. It is not a $5 off the shelf item but it looks good.
You really are fair dinkum.
The correct expression would be "usb aint f***ing balanced"
Do try to get it right.

Peter

Afraid I could never do that. Not using apostrophes, for me, is right up there with "should of" instead of "should have".

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024