Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:20 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Changing admin account on WIN8 - USER folder name....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:04am 22 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Howdy.

I have a computer I want to reuse, and I have changed the admin password and told the PC its new name, but the OLD name stays there under USERS folder.  I was hoping that by changing the admin account details, that would also change the user folder too, but it does not.

If I try to right-click/rename, it just says that it is the new name I put in, so....

Anyone know how you change the folder name for the user to match the change of admin name?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

goc30

Guru

Posted: 03:04am 22 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Grog

the easiest way is to recreate a new user. And if you are in win10's OS, it is more complicated because it can associate the user with an email account. I would dare say that the best solution is to re-install windows. In addition it allows you to clean the disk and delete programs that have become useless.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:31am 22 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bonjour!
I hope you are keeping safe over there....

Yes, I am wondering about that myself.
It is an old machine that I supplied new to a chum, who has since upgraded, did not want the old one, so I accepted it cos I can reuse it.  As I set up the machine, I know that the WIN8 code has only been used once, so I could clean-install, and reactivate.  Microsoft should allow that, as same hardware profile for that licence key.  I think there is a limit to the number of clean-installs per licence, but I know you can definitely do it a couple of times on the same machine with the same licence, so perhaps you have a point.....
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

goc30

Guru

Posted: 05:34am 22 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's okay, we're locked up, but our morale is high.
And you ??

it is true that from win8, it is always risky to install the OS. We can believe that since it is the same disk and the same motherboard, Windows should accept the license. But since their only goal is money, we are "afraid" every time.

BrianP

Posted: 06:58am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi gentlemen (or whatever you may be)
I have just seen this thread (I've been super busy setting up "work from home" scenarios for clients) or I would have chimed in earlier.

Generally speaking for Win 8 & later, if you completely zap the hard drive (or soft drive if it's SSD?), when you reinstall Windows MS somehow knows that this machine has had a legit windows install previously & just activates it. Makes you wonder HOW they know doesn't it. It's to do with machine's hardware "signature", but where & how does MS get & keep this is the question. Maybe they keep it in the BIOS...

Mind you, as always YMMV. Here I always make a backup image beforehand in case that Irish fellow Murphy is feeling mischievous. Also it must be the same Windows version as previously (Home or Pro).
This has worked for me several times. It's one of the few good things MS does these days...
I'm annoyed I didn't see this earlier, but I've been busy...

B

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 09:03pm 28 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grog,

I have a Win8 here that I wanted to do a clean install on a few years back...
Embedded product key etc.

Was dubious about it, so tried on a fresh drive.
Hardest part about it was finding the official MS Win8 ISO.

That was a must, as the 8.1 ISO would not accept the embedded product key.
Win8.0 required first, then the 8.1 upgrade.

Have recycled a few rejects like that now, two getting only the 8.1 upgraded after install, along with Classic Shell.

The other two taken to Win10 via a few hoop jumps.
Can't recall whether I had to move those two to Win8.1 along the way.

Cheers

Phil.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024